What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

New to the forum and having a bit of a brain block trying to work out which Q/R clamp I'd need for my 5D?

Both clamps look similar in the pics but 360 Tactical in the UK only list the non Arca one on their site.

Also there's no centre mark on the L bracket but am I right in saying that that shouldn't be an issue as we're only concerned with fore and aft movement?

Thanks
  2. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Users Country Flag

Hi,

I think the only way to solve your problem is to use a Kirk QRC-2 added to L-bracket and NN rp1-38 fixed the QRC-2. I think your L-bracket base won't fit to the NN arca swiss style QR clamp because the L-bracket is wider and will in the way for the "stop plate" of NN plate.

http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/rp1-38.htm
    http://www.kirkphoto.com/2.5in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html.

Test your lower rail setting with this: http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

Mark the position of the camera mount screw/tripod mount on the QRC-2 and the L-bracket on your own to be sure to stay in line with the center of your lens flange when remounting. It has an influence on your setting, you must not leave the in line position with the rotation center of the upper rail and the middle of the upper rail/ mounting knob position by changing your vertical position by combi QRC-2 - L bracket.

Hope this helps, might be someone else has another idea?

Heinz
  3. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Users Country Flag

BTW,

I do not think the knob of the QRC-2 is in the way of the arrangement. It is standing a way outside of the rail fit. Otherwise you might use the lever lock clamp of RSS:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/03.html.

Regards,

Heinz
  4. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Welcome to the forum.
    We have 2 Quick Release Systems (QRS).
    The QRS-2 was designed primarily for our customers using a Nodal Ninja - it is a low cost quick release solution.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm
    The clamp is also compatible with many Manfrotto, Gitzo, Giottos plates - the exact models I'm not sure.

Because many people already use the Arca style systems, like RRS and Kirk, Nick at Fanotec developed an Arca style system as well.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/asqrc-2.htm
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/asqrp-1.htm
    So our Arca style clamps will fit all Arca style plates and our Arca style plates will fit all Arca style clamps.
    I do believe all L brackets on the market are Arca style so they will fit this clamp as well. The Arca style (dove tailed system) is preferred by many myself included.

Cheers
    Bill
  5. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Users Country Flag

Hi,

just reviewed the NN clamps. I was afraid of the small silver plates being in the way to fix the L-Bracket. Just realized they can be moved out of the way with the screws.

I apologize for my fault.

Bill, the Kirk L-Bracket fits to arca style.

So you could use the NN product shown in the picture. Be aware that also this combination might change your lower rail setting cause of the total height of clamp and L-bracket.

If the small handle tends to stop at the camera body for example before the plate is fixed, just move it outside a little bit and fix it in a new position.

Heinz

6. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Thanks for the replies guys.

The 'normal' clamps appear to have a dovetail shape as well. Is the Arca style just subtly different?

I'll give Andrew at call at 360Tac after Easter to see if he does have the Arca clamps.
  7. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Quote Originally Posted by M1ke_a View Post
    I'll give Andrew at call at 360Tac after Easter to see if he does have the Arca clamps.
    No he doesnt.... But I'm going to Tucson 2010 so I'll bring some back with me..

Badders
  8. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Users Country Flag

Hi badders,

could you please check if there are new products or prototypes for me and take pictures in tuscon?

Would be nice.

Heinz
  9. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Sure! I'll be posting to my blog every day at www.360tacticalvr.com/blog and also via Twitter @360tvr

Badders
  10. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

i use an arca swiss low profile 60mm clamp attached to my NN5 with a kirk L-bracket on a D300, works great, no hitting the arm of the NN5 or the L-bracket

http://www.adorama.com/images/product/AWFL1460.jpg

the NN arca swiss clamp looks like it would work fine with the L-bracket too, and fix better on the NN arm as well, plus its about 1/3 the price - i wish it had been avail when i got the one above

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
  11. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rohn View Post
    i use an arca swiss low profile 60mm clamp attached to my NN5 with a kirk L-bracket on a D300, works great, no hitting the arm of the NN5 or the L-bracket

http://www.adorama.com/images/product/AWFL1460.jpg

the NN arca swiss clamp looks like it would work fine with the L-bracket too, and fix better on the NN arm as well, plus its about 1/3 the price - i wish it had been avail when i got the one above

sam

Update

Got my NN clamp from Badders in time for my trip to Istanbul . Made life much easier with the L bracket though the tightening lever does foul the rail. A locking knob would be better and am I right in saying the new kit will have this?
  12. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Users Country Flag

Update

Got my NN clamp from Badders in time for my trip to Istanbul . Made life much easier with the L bracket though the tightening lever does foul the rail. A locking knob would be better and am I right in saying the new kit will have this?
    I use lever knob to make the QR clamp as thin as possible so that it is compatible with more cameras on NN3. For NN5 users, they can use any QR clamp together with the camera mounting plate. Of course, they can use the clamp from the NN Ultimate.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  13. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Update
    Mike - you do know the lever is spring loaded - it pulls out so you can reposition for locking. Once you have the initial lock set you usually only need about half rotation to unlock.
    See: http://www.nodalninja.com/support/QRS2.html

safe travels

Bill
  14. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Users Country Flag

Bill,

might be I did not describe it in the right way, but M1ke already had a tip about this problem on the 3.April in a thread above...Might be sometimes somebody is reading across the lines. Or do we have to set up a video on every single problem?

BTW, as I see Tuscon has been a success, I think you worked hard during these days. As I saw in several forums, you got a lot of help from your resellers and our european guys, Vincen, Badders et al. I see a lot of new user to the forum, a lot of comments about the new products.

I like to say Tuscon and NN presentation gives a proof that NN is very special. You have been offered and accepted help from experienced people to explain you products.

This fits into your philosophy, short responses on the forums from those persons who are responsible for NN and Fanotec. Listening hard to customers wishes. Great forum community.

And this all around the world.

We keep you going Nick and Bill, and all the others in the teams.

Till now, a big Thanks to all of you.

Heinz

15. Re: What Q/R for a Kirk L bracket on a NN5?

Hey Heinz,
    Your assistance in the forums is greatly appreciated as is the assistance from others. Many times as you noted I may not be aware of other posts but guess redundancy isn't a bad thing if I don't step on any toes :-)
    Very kind words. The Tucson conference was successful on many levels for us and the distributors that also attended - not so much for short term sales insomuch for long term benefit. Plus we learned heaps and taught a few how to better use our products. And you can't put a price tag on meeting and networking with people. My only regret is I wasn't able to spend as much time as I would have liked with many and there were also a few we never had the opportunity to meet. Hosting our guests from abroad and doing some local tours was also fun. With the exception of delays caused by the volcano everyone went home with positive experiences that will last for many years.
    The conference next year may be held closer to your neck of the woods - Lisbon.

many thx
    Bill
+ Reply to Thread