Piazza del Campo

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Piazza del Campo

Share/Bookmark
  1. Piazza del Campo

When cleaning up my photo archive:
    May 2009 I was in Italy and made this 360X180 picture in Siena at Piazza del Campo.
    When making this picture I was almost arrested by the police.
    I still do not know why, according to the police I could not take pictures because I was a professional.

[flash]http://www.xs4all.nl/~boomj/nodalninja/Siena_360.swf[/flash]

Canon EOS 1D Mk3
    Sigma 8mm F/4
    NN 5L
    RD16
    Manfrotto

8 pictures ISO100 f/7.1 1/320sec
  2. Re: Piazza del Campo - photography not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
    When making this picture I was almost arrested by the police.
    I still do not know why, according to the police I could not take pictures because I was a professional.
    Many venues will allow photographers special use under controlled situations but this is the reverse case here maybe because they don't want you capitalizing and making money from shooting and selling shots from their location.

Also not allowing use of tripods is common especially in public places operated by private or local governments. There are liability and safety issues like someone tripping over a tripod leg. If an injury is sustained the owners or agencies could be sued for damages. And lets face it some photographers get caught up in the moment and loose situational awareness. Some pro photographers carry additional liability insurance which could lend them added privileges.
    And believe it or not some venues feel unauthorized photography comprises the security of people (stalkers, invasion of privacy, terrorist plotting, bla bla bla). I was even stopped at a carnival once and the excuse was they didn't want me taking pictures stating the reason was for the the safety of the children. Child safety laws are getting much more strict.

Laws are crazy and vary from location to location.

btw - love the pano - it would have been great if the last shot was the police coming towards you

Cheers
    Bill
+ Reply to Thread