setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #16

    actually I realized that the nikon 10.5mm is for me the best choice in combination with the R1
    than I'll se if to keep or sell the nikkor 16mm
    about the HDR the problem is the time it keeps in post processing , if you have an interior with 5-10
    panos is a big difference if you have 4 or 6 shots around ...
    Anyway you both gave me a great help .thank you very much!
    cheers

    lovro
  2. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #17
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Netherlands
    Posts: 1,733

    Pleasure,

    this is the sense of this forum. I like it.

    Success for your golden goals, and thx for your response.

    Heinz
  3. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #18

    Can anybody tell me the values for an unshaped usage?
    I use a D90 and a 10.5 Nikkor.

    Furthermore: If I want to start with 4+2. I have to use the cam in landscape mode
    Sorry for the stupid question: first time i work with the R1

    Thanks in advance
    Zoli
  4. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #19

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoliTeglas View Post
    Furthermore: If I want to start with 4+2. I have to use the cam in landscape mode
    Sorry for the stupid question: first time i work with the R1
    Zoli, You cannot cover the full 360x180 view with only 4+Z+N with an unshaved (not unshaped) 10.5mm fisheye on a D90, whether you have the camera mounted in portrait or landscape orientation. See http://www.vrwave.com/, or load a set of dummy images into PTGui and try different shooting possibilities by positioning the images manually in the Panorama Editor window. You will quickly see what works and what doesn't.
    John
  5. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #20

    Hey John,
    thanks for the fast reply.
    But my lens works with (nearly) 180 degree, right? Using the D90 I have no shaping effect.

    I tried the following: 6 stops (not in the landscape mode) plus Z and N. The result is bad and i asked me why. When i took the Z picture PTGui found no possibility to connect the Z-picture to the other pictures.

    The R1 can only work with 0, -5 and -7.5 degree. I tried it with 0 degree. Maybe i tried it in the wrong way. But whats the right way? What degree is helpful and how i take the Z and the N picture to get better results....


    Thanks for the link to the database. Now I am a little bit confused. I thought I work fullframe but i forgot the 1.5 factor, right?
    All the best and greetings from Germany
    Zoli

  6. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #21

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoliTeglas View Post
    my lens works with (nearly) 180 degree, right? Using the D90 I have no shaping effect.
    You have an fov of 180 degrees across the diagonal of the frame. I'm sorry, but I've no idea what you mean by "shaping effect".

    [Quote}I tried the following: 6 stops (not in the landscape mode) plus Z and N. The result is bad and i asked me why. When i took the Z picture PTGui found no possibility to connect the Z-picture to the other pictures.[/quote]

    The zenith image should overlap the horizontal row of images without leaving any gaps. Depending on the subject, PTGui might not be able to identify any matching features in the overlap areas. You might be able to assign some control points manually though.

    The R1 can only work with 0, -5 and -7.5 degree. I tried it with 0 degree. Maybe i tried it in the wrong way. But whats the right way? What degree is helpful and how i take the Z and the N picture to get better results....
    Instead of pointing the camera straight upwards for the zenith shot (pitch=90), you can tilt the camera up only 65 degrees, say, to bring one edge of the zenith image down to the horizon so that there is a much better chance of finding matching features for control points there. This is easy to do with an NN3 or NN5, but the zenith is always going to be somewhat problematical with the R1.

    Thanks for the link to the database. Now I am a little bit confused. I thought I work fullframe but i forgot the 1.5 factor, right?
    Correct.

    John
  7. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #22
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Netherlands
    Posts: 1,733

    Hallo Zoli,

    werfe einen kurzen Blick in Frank's calculator, gebe 10.5 und d90 ein, dann calculate, calculate, dann gebe 6 bilder ein, calculate und Du siehst du hast bei 6 photos ueber 30% overlap.

    Du musst 6 photos machen mit der D90. Was hast Du fuer Dein Pano gebraucht? NN3 NN5?

    Du kannst wenn Du willst die Fotos an mich mailen, ich checke sie dann mit PtGui und wahrscheinlich koennen wir Dein Problem loesen. Zur Not checke ich die D90 10.5 fuer Dich mit R1 und sende dir Photos. Z + N mit R1 sind kompliziert weil du nicht in NPP aufnehmen kannst.

    Denk dran, alle photos in PTGui muessen in Portrait mode importiert werden. Nadir und Zenith musst Du um 90° nach links drehen, sichern und dann importieren. Wenn du die cameraorientieerung nicht ausstelltst, kommt Z + N in landscape mode! Ich lasse dass auf on, und drehe diese photos in ViewNX oder PSBridge um 90° nach links, und alles ist OK.

    Wenn du die fotos schickst, sende ich Dir ein Stitching video zureuck an deine mail.

    So long

    Heinz



  8. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #23
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Netherlands
    Posts: 1,733

    Zoli,

    just for information, R1 works from -15° to +12.5°, by changing the upper knob from one side to the other. I just have tried D90 nikkor 10.5 even at +12.5° in NPP with R1. But even with this setting, the zenith shot leaves a small hole, and a much bigger hole in the nadir.

    So you have to take a separate zenith shot, which will be off NPP, and a handheld nadir shot as well as well. And then you have to stitch N and Z manually to the pano.

    Not being used to these things, I would recommend you to use a NN3, which works fine With D90 Nikkor 10.5,6 shots around, one zenith at +90, with the new nadir adaptor 2 nadir shots without handheld shot.

    And this should stitch in one go when you do not shoot in rare places, small rooms with white walls and ceilings.

    Feel free to ask,

    Heinz
  9. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #24
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Netherlands
    Posts: 1,733

    BTW, the test was done in portrait mode.

    May be you can close the gap by turning the camera in the lens ring from portrait mode to 60° setting, which will set you 180° fov of the diagonal of the lens, which John mentioned, upright down.

    May be I can test this the next days.

    Cheers

    Heinz
  10. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #25

    Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    You have an fov of 180 degrees across the diagonal of the frame. I'm sorry, but I've no idea what you mean by "shaping effect".
    Shaping means not work with Fullframe. OK... the first step is clear. 6 Stops for the horizontal pictures. The Z pic is clear as well and i think i will be able to set the controll points for the Z in PTGui.
    What I try to do: Finding the best way for shooting the Nadir picture. I work with a tripod and the R1 and i am not able to shoot a Nadir picture which works out for the stiching process. Maybe i handle it in the wrong way and maybe you have an idea how to get better results.


    Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Instead of pointing the camera straight upwards for the zenith shot (pitch=90), you can tilt the camera up only 65 degrees, say, to bring one edge of the zenith image down to the horizon so that there is a much better chance of finding matching features for control points there. This is easy to do with an NN3 or NN5, but the zenith is always going to be somewhat problematical with the R1.


    OK... You think working with the NN5 or NN3 is easier? Maybe i have the change to test this.
    John
    Thanks man... very helpful!
    Peter
  11. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #26

    Moin Heinz,

    Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hallo Zoli,

    werfe einen kurzen Blick in Frank's calculator, gebe 10.5 und d90 ein, dann calculate, calculate, dann gebe 6 bilder ein, calculate und Du siehst du hast bei 6 photos ueber 30% overlap.
    Wo finde ich diesen Calculator?

    Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Du musst 6 photos machen mit der D90. Was hast Du fuer Dein Pano gebraucht? NN3 NN5?
    Ich habe nur den R1. Nix anderes!


    Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Du kannst wenn Du willst die Fotos an mich mailen, ich checke sie dann mit PtGui und wahrscheinlich koennen wir Dein Problem loesen. Zur Not checke ich die D90 10.5 fuer Dich mit R1 und sende dir Photos. Z + N mit R1 sind kompliziert weil du nicht in NPP aufnehmen kannst.
    Das klingt toll. Ich versuche noch ei noder zwei Tage mein Bestes und hoffe, dass die Ergebnisse brauchbarer werden. Ich bin aber davon ausgegangen, dass der R1 auch in den NPP gesetzt wird! Oder meinst Du, wenn ich 90 Grad nach unten schwenken will?


    Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Denk dran, alle photos in PTGui muessen in Portrait mode importiert werden. Nadir und Zenith musst Du um 90° nach links drehen, sichern und dann importieren. Wenn du die cameraorientieerung nicht ausstelltst, kommt Z + N in landscape mode! Ich lasse dass auf on, und drehe diese photos in ViewNX oder PSBridge um 90° nach links, und alles ist OK.

    Wenn du die fotos schickst, sende ich Dir ein Stitching video zureuck an deine mail.

    So long

    Heinz
    Wie? Ich muss PTGui alles im Querformat geben? Auch wenn die Bilder im Hochformat aufgenommen wurden? OK, das wusste ich nicht! Du meinst, wenn ich die Bilder drehe und dann in PTGui werfe dann müsste das Ergebnis besser werden? Das muss ich mal testen. Erschliesst sich mir aber nicht so ganz, wieso das nun so sein muss!
    Dir ganz herzlichen Dank für die Hilfe
    Bestes
    Peter
  12. Re: setup for Nikon d3s and nikkor 10.5

    #27

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoliTeglas View Post
    I work with a tripod and the R1 and i am not able to shoot a Nadir picture which works out for the stiching process. Maybe i handle it in the wrong way and maybe you have an idea how to get better results.
    Provided you have PTGui Pro and the nadir is a flat area, you can use the viewpoint correction feature to stitch the nadir shot. There's a tutorial on the PTGui web site at http://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html and also one at http://www.johnhpanos.com/ptgvpt.htm.

    John
+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts