new owner

Thread: new owner

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. new owner

i received my new "toy" on fri.

Have been searching the forms for various infomration and my eyes are now glazed over.

I am using a D700 with a 35-70mm lens (for a start). Set everything up and now am wondering what degree to start with as a beginner.

Just a bit of back ground, I am an experienced photographer and have been playing with panos off and on, with film and now digital. Mainly by hand or on a tripod with a panning head. I tend to over lap about 25%

As my interest in better result grew and talking with the nice folks At Nodal Ninja i purchased the NN5 with the RD16 rotator.

I would appreciate a basic idea of which degree to use to optain about a 25% overlapping.

I hope to get out in the next few days for some testing but am looking for a rough estimate.
    With all the searching and reading i am finding all these numbers about low raiils, upper rails etc being a bit overwhelming.

I followed the directions on the website and have the bottom rail in place with the stop in place, am i missing something as i really thought that was all needed to do before checking for parrallex ?

The reveiw done with the various calucators mentioned in several threads is indicating 8.3 images for a 70mm lens with a 180 pano, does this include the overlapping? That would be in portrait mode.

Thanks for any assistance
  2. Re: new owner

Users Country Flag

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: new owner

nick
    thanks

i understand about the NPP, the real question is the degrees equal how many exposures.

on the overlap calculator does a stop equal one shot? based on my understand on this chart 15degrees is 24 stops with a 70mm lens is a 23% overlapping. is this correct and if a stop is one image that would mean 24 images needed for a 180 pano

mighty long photo
  4. Re: new owner

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    on the overlap calculator does a stop equal one shot?
    Yes, unless you want to take multiple shots at each position for HDR or super-resolution processing.

if a stop is one image that would mean 24 images needed for a 180 pano
    24 shots for a 360 degree (full circle) single-row pano.
  5. Re: new owner

ah, so only 12 for 180. that makes more sense.

not ready for 360
  6. Re: new owner

Users Country Flag

Hello,

let me try to give an example on how to use the calculator.

Hope this helps a little bit.

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...calculator.zip

Open the map index.html and double click index.html

This is my first try to place something like this as a "quick shot" on the forum.
    So let's see if it works.

Heinz
  7. Re: new owner

Users Country Flag

Take your time for the download, it is 34MB

Heinz

8. Re: new owner

Users Country Flag

Something else for you Ann,

Heinz
  9. How to use the calculator to find detend plunger settings

Users Country Flag

Hello,

let me try to give an example on how to use the calculator from Frank van der Pol on "camera settings", "Our Forum"...

Hope this helps a little bit.

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...calculator.zip

Open the map index.html and double click index.html

This is my first try to place something like this as a "quick shot" for a member of the forum.
    So let's see if it works. Please let me know if something does not work when downloading.

I saw this question coming up from time to time so i decided to place it.

Heinz
  10. Re: new owner

thanks again for all your assistence heinz
    on and off line.

I understand the calucator however, i still have yet to see on any of these how much overlapping goes along with the degree coverage. for example. with a 35mm lens and a 25 degree placement of the head how much overlapping takes place? Or, am i just working this too hard and the degree chosen which brings along a specific number of stops just automatically provides 25-30% overlapping for smooth stitiching?

as an aside is there a tutorial that breaks down some terms that seem to be very common with pano making?
  11. Re: new owner

Users Country Flag

thanks again for all your assistence heinz
    on and off line.

I understand the calucator however, i still have yet to see on any of these how much overlapping goes along with the degree coverage. for example. with a 35mm lens and a 25 degree placement of the head how much overlapping takes place? Or, am i just working this too hard and the degree chosen which brings along a specific number of stops just automatically provides 25-30% overlapping for smooth stitiching?

as an aside is there a tutorial that breaks down some terms that seem to be very common with pano making?
    to calculate the % overlap, you need to know the angle of view (fov) of the lens at that focal length.
    % overlap =100%*( fov-interval)/ fov

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  12. Re: new owner

Users Country Flag

Hi Ann,

In the first case, you set the desired overlap in point two of the calculator. Then you take the amount of pictures you should take for your desired overlap and you make your choice let use say between 24 shoots or 30.

Fill your desired amount of photos in point three of the calculator, calculate and then you see the actual % of overlay. When you feel 19% or 23% is too less overlay, then you have to choose the higher amount of photos, sert this to point three and calculate. As i tried to demonstrate in the video.

What Nick explains to you is done by Frank van der Pol's calculator. When you go from step 1 to step 3. When you fill in your camera and the focal length in step 1, after calculate you can read the horizontal and vertical field of view, which is used during calculating the amount of shots you have to take for your desired overlap in step two.

Heinz
  13. Re: new owner

it would seem i didn't understand :

let me go back and revist the numbers

once again thanks to everyone and their patience.