nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Share/Bookmark
  1. nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Ok gents and ladies, excuse my ignorance...But do I /should I unscrew my rrs ballhead from the tripod everytime I use the NN5? Is there a quick release plate or something that I can use to fit in the clamp on the rrs ballhead..

So far Ive been unscrewing the rrs ballhead and screwing in the NN5..

Thanks for your help...So far U have been very happy with the results!!!

Jack
  2. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcomfort2 View Post
    Ok gents and ladies, excuse my ignorance...But do I /should I unscrew my rrs ballhead from the tripod everytime I use the NN5? Is there a quick release plate or something that I can use to fit in the clamp on the rrs ballhead..

So far Ive been unscrewing the rrs ballhead and screwing in the NN5..

Thanks for your help...So far U have been very happy with the results!!!

Jack
    you can buy plate (preferrably one with 2 3/8" screws) from RRS and mount it to NN5. What ball head and QR clamp do you use?

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

hi Nick, Thanks for the reply
    Im using a rrs bh-40 mid size ballhead with a b2-40 quick release clamp
    Jack
  4. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Gee what an idiot.....I reread my first post

It should read ... I have been very happy with the NN5 and rd16...great product !!! Great results

Jack
  5. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Users Country Flag

Hi Jack,

Two reasons why I do not use a ballhead:

- It is a lot of weight on top using a NN5/RD16 Nikon D3 plus lens from 16mm/f2.8 to 70-200mm/f2.8 which is told to fit the HB40 of RSS concerning weight. But remember, the camera-lens combination normally is mounted directly to the ball head. But you get a much higher arm of power for movements when this combination is mounted to the NN5. Once you loosen the ball head, there is a lot of power on it and for me it is hard to handle to level it. I know what I am talking about cause I tried it.
    I do not like to loose my camera and lens cause of uncontrolled movements of the whole system.

- I raise my tripod till i can use the camera standing upright without bending. I am 1,83 cm The mid column raised for 5 cm, i use this place to pick the whole system to change position of the tripod. Third leg of the tripod to lens side, which gives you free room to your system. Then i fix the rest, specially the upper rail setting. NOW i have to level the NN5. Doing it before raising the column for easy excess and leveling, everything will be off level. Everything in eye height, I nearly can't see the NN5 built in leveler. Now I use a small round dental mirror in my left hand and level with my EZ-Leveller II with my right hand. Now risk of my camera falling down. Now risk of miss the level cause I am looking from the side to the leveler bubble. With the mirror I can watch from upside down by holding the mirror round 45? to the built in leveler. So: there is no hand left to loosen the ballhead.

Conclusion: if you can lend a plate from your reseller or test it in the shop, try the whole system with your ball head and the extra plate. I personally and I am able to set a tripod without a EZ-Leveller very quick as well ( to avoid recent comments on this subject ) would remount my ball head and buy an EZ-Leveller II instead of the plate to mount it directly to the center column. Might be you buy a second column as well to avoid remounting your different sets.

But, this is just my personal decision to use the very good designed products of nodal ninja.

Heinz

6. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Users Country Flag

BTW: this is my camera lens combination I use, but I know it is the same situation for lighter combinations. Plus you have to re level using a zoom lens at different settings or you are changing your lens at the set.

Enjoy your NN-Product.

Heinz
  7. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

...........Well lets see, Im not sure how this is going to work....I screw a plate into the bottom of the nodal ninja so it will slide on my RRS ballhead and operate as a quick release...
    assuming the ballhead is tighten down enough, doyou feel this would be a stable enough platform?

Im just trying to keep from unscrewing the balhead everytime I want to use the NN5 and vice versa.
    Anyway....ideas and thoughts would be appreciated

Jac
  8. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Users Country Flag

Jack, for example this plate below the NN5 to fix this to your clamp of the ballhead. This is nothing than a fixation. I think it should be stable- besides the ball head problem i personally do not like.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Item...2F8ths&eq=&Tp=

Do you have a center column with your tripod you can take out easily? I have two of those, one with a fixed NN5, and one fixed to my video head. So when I want to change from photo to video, i just change the center column.

Heinz
  9. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcomfort2 View Post
    ...........Well lets see, Im not sure how this is going to work....I screw a plate into the bottom of the nodal ninja so it will slide on my RRS ballhead and operate as a quick release...
    assuming the ballhead is tighten down enough, doyou feel this would be a stable enough platform?

Im just trying to keep from unscrewing the balhead everytime I want to use the NN5 and vice versa.
    Anyway....ideas and thoughts would be appreciated

Jac
    NN5 will act as a lever on the ball head. Considering its height, it will apply 2-3 times torque on the ball head. So you need a ball head with much higher rating than normal.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  10. Re: nn5 on a rrs ballhead ??

Heinz and Nick I thank you very much for your input.. I realize that what Im wanting to do may make the platform more unstable...I did order that exact plate today. I called RRS and explained hwta I was doing and they said that this plate would work...It was exactly the plate that Heinz suggested
    Heinz, I do have a tripod with its own column...but geez...Im getting lots and lots of equipment here...so Im not ready to buy another column right now...but keeping with my habit of wanting the best I just ordered a leveler II a day or so ago...Might as well have the best...nn5, rd16 and now a leveler!!
    Jack
+ Reply to Thread