Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Users Country Flag

I would try to sell the manfrotto and get the fisheye lens instead. I used it in the beginning and now i love the smooth and lightweight Nodal Ninja Stuff.

I am a mac user as well. Normally i use PTGui and sometimes Autopanogiga. Autopanogiga is more automatically and does a lot on it's own.

To learn about stitching and to set control points etc, i would start with PTGui. A lot of information and tutorials to find on the net.

www.ptgui.com
    www.autopano.net/en/

You can download trial versions and test them yourself.

If you do not have photos to test, just let me know.

BTW: I ordered my first NN5 RD12 via the website because it waas not availible in my country. If i remember it right, it was 180€ on top. So right now i order in my homecountry. If you do not use UPS or something like it, I nearly lost a parcel from the states via international post. Cheaper, but it took 1,5 month to recieve it. UPS was there within 3 day, but this costs a fortune.

Heinz
  2. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hugh - I see you are using this with the Leica GeoSystem - one minor suggestion would be to mount your camera with hand grip on the up side. Makes things feel a bit more ergonomic.
    Cheers
    Bill
    Thanks Bill, All advice gratefully received.
    My interest in Spherical Panoramas goes back some years and I could find virtualy no information on the Internet when I started so I have had to experiment myself and I find some of things I do differ so I am always willing to learn.
    I use the Leica Geosystems set up because I have found that I have been drawn in to the HDS (High Definition Survey) part of our business, but I do find using the camera on a survey tripod means it is rock solid.
    Best regards,
    Hugh.
  3. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hey Allan, The prices for all resellers seem high because they include GST/VAT/Customs fees etc. Because they buy in bulk after all is said and done it is cheaper to buy from them than it would if you went through the website.
    thx
    Bill

Hi Bill and others kindly responding here

Sorry mate I haven't responded until now but been overseas with the uni and have been waiting for the spare cash to start to equip for these educational pano tours. Yesterday I took the plunge and purchased from Poland no less, the SAMYANG fisheye lens and am waiting its arrival. Yeeeess!

OK the next step is the head and then learn how to use it properly. Lots more dumb questions

Sorry to start now on these but may I have some more advice.

* Now I am soon to have the fisheye will I ever need to take spherical panoramas with the much heavier 18-200 Nikkor lens?

* Couldn't I just change lens to the fisheye on the Nikkon D5000 and have a much lighter camera set-up for Panoramas - and would this mean all I need is a Ninja 3 and not the 5L?

* Is there any advantage/difference that might justify taking panoramas with the 18-200 Lens? - the down side is as I understand it just more photos needed right?

* Is my Nikkon D5000 + Samyang fisheye lens light enough for the Ninja 3?

* I have recently purchased a new travel tripod a "Velbon Ultra LUXi-M Tripod with PHD-41Q 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head" See it here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html Its max weight is 4.4 lb 2kg. Will that handle my camera and fisheye and pan head please?

* Also please notice that the tripod pan head is such that the lens of the camera doesn't sit over the exact centre of the tripod like most I have seen. Is that an issue with spherical panos and I will need a new tripod head?

I will really appreciate the help here. I am getting closer to the purchase and there seeems so many options.

Regards
    Allan

4. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Users Country Flag

A lot of question before breakfast ,

shoot your panos with the fisheye lens. We only spoke about the 18-200 because this was the lens you already had at home and because of budget. Takes a lot of more shots to be ready for a spherical panorama. And to answer the other question as well, take a single row with the 18mm, compare the difference between a fisheye lens and a normal one, resolution, distortion, lens flare etc. It is not only the difference in the number of shots.

Have a look to this site and walk through, it is weekend, a lot of information.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm

I think the D5000 will be fine with fisheye and NN3. Just check the upper rail setting of your fisheye lens will fit to the length of the NN3 upper rail. Check the data on the forum.

Does not matter that the tripod head is off center of the tripod.

You mount the NN3 / NN5 on top. The rotation center for the panoramas is the one of the rotators of NN3 and NN5, not the one of the tripod. So this does not matter.

Ok, off to work, and good look

Heinz
  5. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

6. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Quote Originally Posted by AllanADL View Post
    * Now I am soon to have the fisheye will I ever need to take spherical panoramas with the much heavier 18-200 Nikkor lens?
    No, unless you want higher resolution pictures (see question 3)

* Couldn't I just change lens to the fisheye on the Nikkon D5000 and have a much lighter camera set-up for Panoramas - and would this mean all I need is a Ninja 3 and not the 5L?
    Yes.

* Is there any advantage/difference that might justify taking panoramas with the 18-200 Lens? - the down side is as I understand it just more photos needed right?
    The resolution of the resulting panorama will be better when you take more photos with a longer lens.

* Is my Nikkon D5000 + Samyang fisheye lens light enough for the Ninja 3?
    Yes. I'm currently using a Pentax K20D + Samyang fisheye with a NN3, and the K20D is bigger and heavier than your D5000.

* I have recently purchased a new travel tripod a "Velbon Ultra LUXi-M Tripod with PHD-41Q 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head" . Will that handle my camera and fisheye and pan head please?
    Is the pan/tilt head removable? Ideally you should mount the Nodal Ninja head directly on the tripod legs, not on top of another head.
  7. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Quote Originally Posted by markkuk View Post
    No, unless you want higher resolution pictures (see question 3)
    Yes.
    The resolution of the resulting panorama will be better when you take more photos with a longer lens.
    Yes. I'm currently using a Pentax K20D + Samyang fisheye with a NN3, and the K20D is bigger and heavier than your D5000.
    Is the pan/tilt head removable? Ideally you should mount the Nodal Ninja head directly on the tripod legs, not on top of another head.

Guys

The great news for me is that the Samyang Fisheye has arrived from Poland ... those guys give good service and thnaks to y'all for helping me decide and purchase it ... iis awesome.

A small point is that it seems there are no filters for it ... the addition at least of a UV filter to protect that amazing ball of fine glass seems to me to be a good idea. But maybe Im missing something.

However the next big challenge, and I am looking for the answers online as well as enrolling in some great courses, is how to set up my Nikon D5000 to work manually with this lens ... told you I was a rusty newbe not skilled in the latest DSLR's. How to quickly get the settings right for the lens when actually photographing is what it is all about I guess.

Then the next purchase is the NN ... 3 or 5L ... or 5 with what rotators or complete package and do I really need a leveller ... good grief my head hurts. However I am determined to buy the best alternatives even if it takes a little longer to fund and learn it all.

Again thanks mate(s) as they say down here

Regards
    Allan

8. Re: Ninja 3 or 5: Budget Constraints

Users Country Flag

Hi Allan,

you seem to look something like this guy.

Because of the extreme curvature of front lenses of fisheye or wide angle lenses like Nikkor 14-24mm/f2.8 you can not use filters in front of the lenses to get protection for the glass. Some, like the nikkor 16mm/f2.8 fisheye comes with filters you can screw to the back of the lens, others use gelfilters. So you have to be very careful with these lenses.

To get an impressions of NN3 /NN5 have a look to this http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/inde...ic,978.15.html.

D90 is similar to D5000, you may use lenses up to 18-200VRII. So if you do not want to step to full frame cameras, it might be NN3. Decide yourself between NN3 MKII complete package or a combination with an RD8 RD16. Difference: either you have to take it apart to change the ring for a different number of stops or turn it around, With a RD.. you just replace the detend plunger in another hole.

Walk through the forum, "search" with keywords, and you already can find a lot of information about your questions.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread