Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Hi guys, I see from a older post that the 14mm isn't the first choice for spherical panos and that the 15mm is a better choice. However the 14mm is what I already own and would like to make it work. I have used a (borrowed) 15mm and like it (I know, some will say, keep borrowing or buy it :. I have been testing the 14mm by shooting +45¬?, 0, -45¬? with 6 shots per row. I'm pretty certain of my NPP settings of upper arm 91 lower rail 53.5. But PTgui is having a tough time with the images. Am I shooting too many/not enough, wrong tilt angles, etc.? Thanks for any help.
  2. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

You'll have to be more specific in describing the problems you are having stitching the images. "PTGui having a tough time" doesn't really get us very far. There's no reason why you shouldn't get a good stitch if you have done everything correctly. It may be the PTGui processing that's the prime suspect, but the panohead setup may not be as optimum as you thnk. We have no means of establishing the true cause without some concrete evidence to examine. Ideally, a set of images and the saved PTGui project file would be ideal, but just the project file initially would be a big help.

John
  3. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Users Country Flag

Hi,

just checked your combination. I can shoot with 30¬?, -30¬? Zenith and Nadir 6 pics per row with an overlap of around 30%.

Heinz
  4. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

I'm sure it's operator error (me). PTgui was not generating control points for many of the images even though there's contrast and edges to pick from. I'd supply the samples but they're shots of my messy room Let me try Heinz' formula and at least clean up my home. Thanks John and Heiz.
  5. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

The stitcher was picking points on the pano head itself. I just needed to go in and remove those:
    http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#4_1

BTW, does anyone concur with my NN5 + 5d +Canon 14mm no-parallax-point settings of 91 upper rail and 53.5 lower rail? Thanks
  6. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Hi John,

Back in Aug 2008 you commented that the Canon 14mm was "slightly awkward" for panoramas:

http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php/topic,299.0.html

Do you think it's worth trying to figure out using the 14mm since I already have one or just put it aside and get a 15mm? I luv my NN5 but it did set me back a bit and I'd rather avoid spending more money.

Thanks
  7. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Users Country Flag

Hi,

always run the optimizer and delete away control points >10.

Heinz
  8. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

Quote Originally Posted by ricepixels View Post
    Do you think it's worth trying to figure out using the 14mm since I already have one or just put it aside and get a 15mm? I luv my NN5 but it did set me back a bit and I'd rather avoid spending more money.
    Yes, it's worth using the 14mm. You will learn a lot about stitching. If you are able to re-borrow the 15mm lens, you can then compare shooting and stitching workflows and make a fully informed decision as to whether it's worth getting the 15mm.

John
  9. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

10. Re: Canon 14mm lens + 5d (non-M2) + NN5 = !@#@%$

+ Reply to Thread