Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Hello guys,

I'm very new in this 360 panorama world of photegraphy ... I have done a couple of panos, but they were just seated on my regular tripod (no panohead). So, as I have come to understand it, I NEEEED one of those pesky pano heads, and appeantly Ninja is the way to go. I have been going over the site, but for the life of me, I can't figure out which one to choose.

I'm working with a Nikon D80, 18-55mm lense (set at 18mm) ... and really, it needs to be cheap! ;-)

Can anyone help me with which Ninja to choose?

-Kim
    Denmark
  2. Re: Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Users Country Flag

NN3II is our most affordable solution for your D80.
    You may need a wider lens though. A Samyang 8mm fisheye will be a good and affordable choice.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Do you mean this one? http://www.nodalninja.com/products/p...dalninja3.html

And when you say I "might need" a Samyang 8mm, does that mean that I CAN'T use my old 18-55mm?
  4. Re: Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Users Country Flag

Hello,

of course you can use your 18-55mm lens. I feel Nick tried to give you a hint to buy a "cheap fisheye lens", to take a panorama with around 6-8 shots with zenith and nadir, which means around, top and ground photo.

Go to camera settings on this website an you find the settings for your lens under D80. Instead of taking around 8 shots with a fisheye lens these are the settings for your lens at zoom 18:

detent plunger 45? , 8 shots, raise upper rail to 45?
    detent plunger 30? , 12 shots, upper rail at 0?
    detent plunger 45? , 8shots, lower upper rail to '-45?,

1shot at +90? for zenith, -90? for nair, which means 30 shots for a panorama with your lens.

This will take a "long time to get ready". This means, you can do this in a quiet place, where not so many things move, people, cars, clouds in heavy winds, moving water, all this will make some trouble in stitching and take a lot of time in experience with the software and working time to take out the faults like ghosts etc.

So i think this was the background of Nick's hint. With a fisheye lens a go away with 6 or 8 shots. For me it depends of what you like to do in the the future with panos, change camera, what money can you afford, for DX cameras the lens for panos to do a "quick shot" is the 10.5 fisheye DX fisheye lens which is around 650Ǩ. I think the Samyang might be cheaper.

So conclusion might be, start up and feel what a sort of really new experience you can try with panorama photography with the equipment right now, and thn take new decisions. Fell free to ask me about other spherical settings for camera lens combinations.

Heinz

5. Re: Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Hello Kim,

It sounds as if you are following a similar route to the one I did.

I would follow Nick's advice and go for the NN3, which you pointed to with the URL in your message.
    I know he makes them, but I tried using a cheaper friction type panohead for a while and I now have a Nodal Ninja NN3 MKII which I am very happy with.

As Heinz says, you can use your 18-55mm lens and get great panoramas but it does require a lot of images, so you don't want anything in the subject to move.
    I have AN 18-200
  6. Re: Which Ninja for Nikon D80?

Oops! Must have pressed the wrong button on my keyboard! so I'll try again:

Hello Kim,

It sounds as if you are following a similar route to the one I did.

I would follow Nick's advice and go for the NN3, which you pointed to with the URL in your message.
    I know he makes them, but I tried using a cheaper friction type panohead for a while and I now have a Nodal Ninja NN3 MKII which I am very happy with.
    Having the precision and positivness of the detent rings really does make a digfference.

As Heinz says, you can use your 18-55mm lens and get great panoramas but it does require a lot of images, so you don't want anything in the subject to move.
    I have an 18-200mm on my Nikon and have made successful Spherical Panoramas with it set at the 18mm end.
    I used a lot more images than Heinz has recommended so Ill have to have a go with his suggestion although I think that I will keep the 12 0oint (30?) detent ring for all the shots rather than change it.

If you are interested in my thoughts on this subject you can see them at:
    http://www.hugha.co.uk/NodalPoint/Sp...ormal-Lens.htm
    You can go on to acquire a fisheye lens later as hopefully you will get hooked on Panoramas.

Best regards and happy shooting, Hugh.
+ Reply to Thread