Sigma 8mm vs Sigma 4mm on Canon D450 + Ultimate R1

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sigma 8mm vs Sigma 4mm on Canon D450 + Ultimate R1

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Sigma 8mm vs Sigma 4mm on Canon D450 + Ultimate R1

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a Canon D450. Also, I am planing to buy the Ultimate R1 very soon.

I have two alternatives of lenses to buy to shut interiors:
    • Sigma 8mm. Since my camera is not full frame, the full circle will be cropped by the sensor
    • Sigma 4.5mm. Due I got small camera, I can get the full circle and perhaps need less pictures to get a panorama

Both are supported by the R1 system. I noticed the Sigma 8mm is very popular. Not the case for the Sigma 4.5mm. I sense this last one fits my needs (small sensor), but since I am new at this, I am concerned about getting something is not very well documented in reviews, articles and forums.

Which lens would work better with the NN Ult. R1 having a few shots as possible in interiors? :-\
    What experiences you guys have with both?
    Is it important to think about the software I will be using to make a decision?

I really appreciate any help,

Diego
  2. Re: Sigma 8mm vs Sigma 4mm on Canon D450 + Ultimate R1

Users Country Flag

Hello Diego!

Just a few considerations concerning the lenses. My first DSLR-camera was a Canon 300D - Digital Rebel. I used a Sigma 8mm with this camera. Then I switched to the EOS 5D and stopped using the Sigma 8mm. On the 5D you get the full circle with the Sigma 8mm. Despite the fact, that the 5D got a higher resolution than the 300D, I still found the resulting resolution of the panorama terribly low. So if you want to use the Sigma 4.5mm on the D450 you will presumably get a similar resolution as using the Sigma 8mm on the EOS 5D (both cameras 12.2 Mega pixel and full circle). For further informations on stitching with the Sigma 8mm on a camera with crop factor 1.6 you might want to have a look at John Houghtons tutorial "SPHERICAL PANORAMAS WITH THE CANON D60 + SIGMA 8mm FISHEYE LENS" at http://www.johnhpanos.com/360tute.htm

Viele Gr?º?üe

Carsten
  3. Re: Sigma 8mm vs Sigma 4mm on Canon D450 + Ultimate R1

Thanks Carsten. Very helpful comments and tutorial.

Diego
+ Reply to Thread