NPP question

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: NPP question

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

  1. NPP question

    #1

    I'm just move from King Pano to NN5 panohead. I have some NPP got for various lens. As i understand changing panohead leds to changing rail settings. But settings for all lens (the same camera 5D) must shift the same value determinated by the pano head.
    For example if B setting for 17-40 lense (17mm) is 110 in case of NN5 and 100 in case of King pano, so the difference of 10 must be between settings for 16-35 lens. But according with settings from fanotec site this is wrong. EACH LENS HAS IT"S OWN SHIFT.
    What's the matter? I'm confused
  2. Re: NPP question

    #2
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Saddleworth UK
    Posts: 242

    Quote Originally Posted by Emelyanov View Post
    I'm just move from King Pano to NN5 panohead. I have some NPP got for various lens. As i understand changing panohead leds to changing rail settings. But settings for all lens (the same camera 5D) must shift the same value determinated by the pano head.
    For example if B setting for 17-40 lense (17mm) is 110 in case of NN5 and 100 in case of King pano, so the difference of 10 must be between settings for 16-35 lens. But according with settings from fanotec site this is wrong. EACH LENS HAS IT"S OWN SHIFT.
    What's the matter? I'm confused
    As you say the NPP point must remain the same for a lens camera combination. So you would expect the difference between lenses to remain constant between makes of brackets, as you are only changing the index start point.
    However the settings given in tables are those reported by users. And they my not be what you would find to be the best setting for you.

    I expect the differences you are finding are the differences between peoples experiences. The problem is worse when you consider fisheye lenses which do not have a single "nodal point" which effectively changes with overlap.
  3. Re: NPP question

    #3
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Netherlands
    Posts: 1,741

    Hi,

    what you can do is measure the distance from the NNP to the tripod mount screw for a certain lens on King Pano. Or mark the NNP on the lens with a white spot. Mount the camera lens combination to NN5 and move the camera on the upper rail till the mark is exactly above the turning point of the rotator. Read the setting on the upper rail at the white strip of the mounting plate. Then you know the setting for the NN5..

    Now you know the difference King Pano and NN5 and then you can go on testing the rest. I would try the settings of the NN List as well to find out which one is right.

    Heinz



  4. Re: NPP question

    #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    I expect the differences you are finding are the differences between peoples experiences. The problem is worse when you consider fisheye lenses which do not have a single "nodal point" which effectively changes with overlap.
    Hi Terrywoodenpic,
    differences you are talking about are around 1-2mm. while i have noticed more than 10 mm.
    have a look at the well known database (i have checked some points and the results were the same) http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database
    17-40 (17) L2=71
    18-55 (1 L2=47
    10-22 (10) L2=66
    L2 is the only variable value when change the lens. Distance between lense base and head mounting (L1) is a constant. L1+L2=NPP
    So the difference between lens NPP's must be the same regardless panohead used.
    Now let's see at the fanotec's data (30D NN5):
    17-40 (17) B=106
    18-55 (1 B=88
    10-22 (10) B=94

    66-47=19
    94-88=6
    13mm!!!
  5. Re: NPP question

    #5
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Saddleworth UK
    Posts: 242

    Quote Originally Posted by Emelyanov View Post
    Hi Terrywoodenpic,
    differences you are talking about are around 1-2mm. while i have noticed more than 10 mm.
    have a look at the well known database (i have checked some points and the results were the same) http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database
    17-40 (17) L2=71
    18-55 (1 L2=47
    10-22 (10) L2=66
    L2 is the only variable value when change the lens. Distance between lense base and head mounting (L1) is a constant. L1+L2=NPP
    So the difference between lens NPP's must be the same regardless panohead used.
    Now let's see at the fanotec's data (30D NN5):
    17-40 (17) B=106
    18-55 (1 B=88
    10-22 (10) B=94

    66-47=19
    94-88=6
    13mm!!!
    Sounds very strange... however I have never used other peoples figures, I have always found my own.
    I suspect there is a very simple explanation, and I am sure some one will tell you soon enough where the error lies.
    If I were you, I would find my own NNpoints, it is always the best way.
+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts