How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Share/Bookmark
  1. How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

wilco
  2. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

for fisheye having >170 deg angle of view in the longer dimension of sensor, no zenith is needed. Just use enough tilt to cover it. You can take an extra zenith shot (off-set from NPP) by pointing to the lens up. Depending on the camera design, it will be 90 deg or close to 90 deg. You can take the nadir (off-set from NPP) by pointing the lens down, it will be -65 deg. You can also point the lens -90 deg. Just reverse the lens direction from the zenith shot. Of course, handheld shots are possible too.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Thanks for your reply. I have nikon 10.5mm fisheye. I have to take 6+1+1 with NN5. I am planning to do pole pano. Does R1 can lock at -90 for zenith shot? D200 with battery grip can do zenith -90 shot with R1?

Wilco
  4. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wilco23 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I have nikon 10.5mm fisheye. I have to take 6+1+1 with NN5. I am planning to do pole pano. Does R1 can lock at -90 for zenith shot? D200 with battery grip can do zenith -90 shot with R1?

Wilco
    no lock at +/-90 deg or +/-65 deg.
    For pole pano, you should remove the battery grip. You don't have to get eaxctly 90 deg for zenith.
    For zenith of sky, you can probably take the shot on ground level.

Nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    no lock at +/-90 deg or +/-65 deg.
    For pole pano, you should remove the battery grip. You don't have to get eaxctly 90 deg for zenith.
    For zenith of sky, you can probably take the shot on ground level.

Nick
    Thanks Nick. I should better go with R10. Which R10 would you recommend for Nikon 10.5mm? There are three degree that I can chose.

Wilco
  6. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

Thanks Nick. I should better go with R10. Which R10 would you recommend for Nikon 10.5mm? There are three degree that I can chose.

Wilco
    Both will work for pole pano. For R10, you can choose 7.5 deg or 10 deg tilt.

Nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

I have just emailed NN about the problem with R1 and Nikon D3X, there is a problem with the mechanics as you cannot drop the arm to +90deg without hitting the camera
    sadly the rotator is too wide! yes I know it does not have to be +90deg but as the arm does not stop until it hits the arm end, this is a problem
    I have now assembled the R1 with the adaptor so it is mounted perfectly on the R-D3L but the D3X still hitting the adaptor
    I have suggested that the adaptor should be 10mm longer at the narrow end of it so the camera drops in.

Nikon D3X with 16mm AF, R1, -10 for 6 shots, +90 (well almost) shot for the Zenith and finally -60deg shot for the Nadir but move the tripod away(about a metre) - perfect

See Below

This is a message to Nick Fan or anyone who is dealing with the manufacturing of these brilliant products

I have purchased last week the fantastic R1 with an adaptor so it can be fitted on the R-D3L, because it cannot be used with R-D4

This is by far the best combination I have ever seen and the fastest - a delight to work with

However there is a problem with D3X as it will not drop all the way down to get the Zenith

The side of the camera hit the rotators (R-D4 as well) and preventing the full Zenith shot

I would like to see this rectified as more and more professional photographers are using the Nikon D3X

The adaptor needs to be 10mm longer at the narrow top to overcome this

I would be delighted if I can have one as soon as possible

Erik Hoffman
    www.hoffmanportraits.co.uk
  8. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by erikhoffman View Post
    I have just emailed NN about the problem with R1 and Nikon D3X, there is a problem with the mechanics as you cannot drop the arm to +90deg without hitting the camera
    sadly the rotator is too wide! yes I know it does not have to be +90deg but as the arm does not stop until it hits the arm end, this is a problem
    I have now assembled the R1 with the adaptor so it is mounted perfectly on the R-D3L but the D3X still hitting the adaptor
    I have suggested that the adaptor should be 10mm longer at the narrow end of it so the camera drops in.

Nikon D3X with 16mm AF, R1, -10 for 6 shots, +90 (well almost) shot for the Zenith and finally -60deg shot for the Nadir but move the tripod away(about a metre) - perfect

See Below

This is a message to Nick Fan or anyone who is dealing with the manufacturing of these brilliant products

I have purchased last week the fantastic R1 with an adaptor so it can be fitted on the R-D3L, because it cannot be used with R-D4

This is by far the best combination I have ever seen and the fastest - a delight to work with

However there is a problem with D3X as it will not drop all the way down to get the Zenith

The side of the camera hit the rotators (R-D4 as well) and preventing the full Zenith shot

I would like to see this rectified as more and more professional photographers are using the Nikon D3X

The adaptor needs to be 10mm longer at the narrow top to overcome this

I would be delighted if I can have one as soon as possible

Erik Hoffman
    www.hoffmanportraits.co.uk
    HI Erik,

Thanks for the report. Our pole adapter will raise R1/10 tilt head by 10mm. I will also release a quick mount adapter which will raise it up by >25mm.
    We more feedback from customers, I may make a longer advanced rotator to R1/10 adapter in the future.

Nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    HI Erik,

Thanks for the report. Our pole adapter will raise R1/10 tilt head by 10mm. I will also release a quick mount adapter which will raise it up by >25mm.
    We more feedback from customers, I may make a longer advanced rotator to R1/10 adapter in the future.

Nick
    That is great news. If you make new version, please also add in +/-90 degree lock. I will wait for the new version.

Wilco
  10. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

That is great news. If you make new version, please also add in +/-90 degree lock. I will wait for the new version.

Wilco
    +/-90 degree lock is not easy to achieve without adding bulk to the design. I'd rather make a simple add on lock to achieve this purpose.
    Hey, R1/10 is our brand new product, don't expect the next generation to come in the near future.

Nick

Fanotec
  11. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

Hallo Erik and Nick,

i have been busy with R1 - D3/D3x zenith shot and camera bumping into the rotator: I had the same problem with D3 Sigma 8mm 3,5. My R1 is screwed together that way, that the detend plunger is on the same side where the camera comes down for the 90 degree shot. I opened the two imbus screws aside the leveler bubble, move the top 180 degrees around, and refixed. Now the plate moves to the zenith position on the opposite side of the rotator knobs. I fixed the camera in portrait mode, grip of the body upside, and now i can freely reach my zenith at 90 degree without bumping into anything.

I did not try the nikkor 16mm/f2.8 fisheye cause i do not have an adaptor ring for this lens, just had a look to the sigma mounted to D3 compared with the 16mm nikkor and i suppose it would be nearly the same position. I think the 16 mm lens should work in the same way.

What do you think of this,

Heinz

12. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hallo Erik and Nick,

i have been busy with R1 - D3/D3x zenith shot and camera bumping into the rotator: I had the same problem with D3 Sigma 8mm 3,5. My R1 is screwed together that way, that the detend plunger is on the same side where the camera comes down for the 90 degree shot. I opened the two imbus screws aside the leveler bubble, move the top 180 degrees around, and refixed. Now the plate moves to the zenith position on the opposite side of the rotator knobs. I fixed the camera in portrait mode, grip of the body upside, and now i can freely reach my zenith at 90 degree without bumping into anything.

I did not try the nikkor 16mm/f2.8 fisheye cause i do not have an adaptor ring for this lens, just had a look to the sigma mounted to D3 compared with the 16mm nikkor and i suppose it would be nearly the same position. I think the 16 mm lens should work in the same way.

What do you think of this,

Heinz

Hard to say. This is camera and lens dependent.

Nick

Fanotec
  13. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Sorry but the Nikkor 16mm does not
    Unfortunately the NNP is different so the lens has to be shifted a lot more on the slider so the problemis still there
    I have ordered a monopole adaptor and longer screws and I will insert it between the R-D3 and the R1 and let you know if this help as the R1 will be then raised by 10mm

One more problem I have just discovered and very annoying is that you cannot use the remote trigger with 90deg Zenith shot

Erik
  14. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Hi Nick

I am in a process of manufacturing the final adaptor to be inserted between the R1 and the R-D3L

I will make it 30mm from the wider side up - higher, the base diameter will increase to 48mm and the center hole will be reduced to 13mm (it is a bit too wide and too close to the srew hole now.
    In additition I will take off some 2mm from the centre core (the narrow part but not all the way up) to allow the camera to drop without touching it.

Not sure what can be done about the remote cord as this hits the main structure and looks too complicated to change but let me get the new adaptor finished first

Will see it on Friday and report to you

Erik
  15. Re: How do you take nadir and zenith shot with R1?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by erikhoffman View Post
    Hi Nick

I am in a process of manufacturing the final adaptor to be inserted between the R1 and the R-D3L

I will make it 30mm from the wider side up - higher, the base diameter will increase to 48mm and the center hole will be reduced to 13mm (it is a bit too wide and too close to the srew hole now.
    In additition I will take off some 2mm from the centre core (the narrow part but not all the way up) to allow the camera to drop without touching it.

Not sure what can be done about the remote cord as this hits the main structure and looks too complicated to change but let me get the new adaptor finished first

Will see it on Friday and report to you

Erik
    Will rolling the camera by 30 deg help to solve the remote problem?

NIck

Fanotec