New Camara = New Question

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Camara = New Question

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. New Camara = New Question

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital SLR Camera Kit. The kit came with the camera and the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens. My first questions have nothing to do with the actual camera and lens but the rest do.

1. After I find the no-paralax point for the camera and lens (if I can), what happens when the camera autofocuses? Does the no-paralax point move or does it remain in the same position? Is focusing the same as zooming in and out (I am certain it is not, but I could be mistaken)?
    2. Besides zooming in and out, is there anything else that changes the no-paralax point? I assume that changing the ISO, shutter speed and aperture values do nothing to the "point".
    3. How do you get a height depth of field? Make the aperture smaller I assume?

4. Rebel XSi question: how do you lock all the initial values when starting to take a series of images for a panorama? I've looked in the manual, but I have come up empty handed.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I am fairly new to all this so I do appreciate all the help.
  2. Re: New Camara = New Question

Quote Originally Posted by VinkoCM View Post
    1. After I find the no-paralax point for the camera and lens (if I can), what happens when the camera autofocuses? Does the no-paralax point move or does it remain in the same position? Is focusing the same as zooming in and out (I am certain it is not, but I could be mistaken)?
    Answer: Don't use Autofocus. Lock the focus down to focus on the thing of greatest interest in the scene. No, focussing isn't the same as zooming in and out. Zooming in and out changed the focal length of the lens which has the effect of making the view look bigger or smaller in the camera. (and also changes the nodal point)

2. Besides zooming in and out, is there anything else that changes the no-paralax point? I assume that changing the ISO, shutter speed and aperture values do nothing to the "point".
    Answer: No.

4. Rebel XSi question: how do you lock all the initial values when starting to take a series of images for a panorama? I've looked in the manual, but I have come up empty handed.
    Answer: Set the camera to MANUAL Mode (Usually the big dial on the top of the camera)

3. How do you get a height depth of field? Make the aperture smaller I assume?
    Answer: Yes as long as you understand what "smaller" means for apertures. An aperture of F/2.8 is "bigger" than an Aperture of f/16. So setting an aperture of f/16 gives more depth of field than an aperture of f/8.

Badders
  3. Re: New Camara = New Question

Ok I understand everything except for the focusing issue. I understand that zooming in and out changes the focal length and the no-parallax point. Now, if focusing is different than zooming, does that mean that even if I focus on a new subject (let's say every time I take a new panorama) I don't need to re-find the no-parallax point?
  4. Re: New Camara = New Question

Users Country Flag

No,

for the focus you have to use " hyperfocal distance" for the aperture you use. You do not have to find a new NNP.

First find your NNP for your zoom setting of the lens camera combination. Then, second step, work out your hyperfocal distances for the different apertures you use.

http://www.dofmaster.com/

Heinz
  5. Re: New Camara = New Question

Ok, I understand. One last question: after I set the aperture I want and calculate the hyperfocal distance, I have to focus the camera at that distance and lock the focus there, right?
  6. Re: New Camara = New Question

Users Country Flag

That's right.

There will be sharpness from the near point to ?. Yes, and set the focus to manual and tape the zoom and the focus ring to avoid movements while shooting.

Heinz

+ Reply to Thread