NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Thread: NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Hello. First post. Kinda nervous.

I have NN3 mkII with RD8, purchased when RD8 was first available. Used with great satisfaction, except...

When I loosen upper arm pivot for to set up for new row of images in a matrix set, the pivot binds. I must torsion the upper arm to get it to release. This is just opposite from the problem described in a recent post here.

I considered putting a spot of grease on the bearing surfaces, but have hesitated to try it. Any wise suggestions?

BTW, I am using Olympus E-500 with 50mm (100 mm equiv) f2 macro lens for high resolution panos. NN is set up with pair of Manfrotto RC2 QR plates for quick setup/breakdown. Like I said, rig produces images that give me "great satisfaction."

THX
  2. Re: NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rkreis View Post
    Hello. First post. Kinda nervous.

I have NN3 mkII with RD8, purchased when RD8 was first available. Used with great satisfaction, except...

When I loosen upper arm pivot for to set up for new row of images in a matrix set, the pivot binds. I must torsion the upper arm to get it to release. This is just opposite from the problem described in a recent post here.

I considered putting a spot of grease on the bearing surfaces, but have hesitated to try it. Any wise suggestions?

BTW, I am using Olympus E-500 with 50mm (100 mm equiv) f2 macro lens for high resolution panos. NN is set up with pair of Manfrotto RC2 QR plates for quick setup/breakdown. Like I said, rig produces images that give me "great satisfaction."

THX

Can you loosen the upper rotator knob easily? When you tighten the knob slightly, does the upper rotator bind?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

Can you loosen the upper rotator knob easily? When you tighten the knob slightly, does the upper rotator bind?

Nick
    Hi Nick:

To add to the original post, I'm experiencing the same thing, but thought it might be normal?

I can loosen the upper rotator knob quite easily, but even with the camera mounted, the joint won't release unless I push down, or up, on the arm assembly.

It's hard to quantify, but the amount of force needed varies from very slight, to somewhat moderate.

When I tighten the knob slightly, the joint doesn't bind, but I can feel an increase in friction.

When I disassembled the joint, I noticed there's a teflon gasket next to the knob, but not on the inside, next to the rubber surface attached to the arm... should there be one?
    I also noticed some metal powder on the rubber surface, which I wiped away.

It's not really a problem, more of a minor nuisance.

regards
    Santo Giorno

4. Re: NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    Hi Nick:

To add to the original post, I'm experiencing the same thing, but thought it might be normal?

I can loosen the upper rotator knob quite easily, but even with the camera mounted, the joint won't release unless I push down, or up, on the arm assembly.

It's hard to quantify, but the amount of force needed varies from very slight, to somewhat moderate.

When I tighten the knob slightly, the joint doesn't bind, but I can feel an increase in friction.

When I disassembled the joint, I noticed there's a teflon gasket next to the knob, but not on the inside, next to the rubber surface attached to the arm... should there be one?
    I also noticed some metal powder on the rubber surface, which I wiped away.

It's not really a problem, more of a minor nuisance.

regards
    Santo Giorno

I think that is normal. The rubber washer will have some sort of "stickiness" or static friction.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

I think that is normal. The rubber washer will have some sort of "stickiness" or static friction.

Nick
    Exactly, mine does it too.Iit's the rubber getting accustomed to to being clamped in one position. Any kind of 'fix' would mess up the friction it's designed to provide. Like when you sit on vinyl car seats on a hot sweaty day......

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  6. Re: NN3 mkII upper arm pivot binds. Some help?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wide-Eyed View Post
    Any kind of 'fix' would mess up the friction it's designed to provide. Like when you sit on vinyl car seats on a hot sweaty day......

That's TRS. Tertiary Restraining System when seat belts and airbags are not enough.

Works best with shorts (not bermuda) and bare back or bikinis.

Until Nick has an upgraded mechanism with detent lock light enough for NN3 MkIII