Ultimate Line R1/R10 Lens Recommendation Question

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ultimate Line R1/R10 Lens Recommendation Question

Share/Bookmark
  1. Ultimate Line R1/R10 Lens Recommendation Question

Hello

I am really thinking about purchasing the R1 or R10 for ease of use for commercial shoots.

If I want to use the R1 with my Canon 5D Mark II, what fixed wide-angle or fisheye lens do all of you recommend? I was thinking about getting the NN5-RD16 setup but I need something that does the job quicker (even though I will lose some detail as a result of using a fisheye).

Also, I would like to be making 180 and some 360 panoramas.

Thanks
    Ross
  2. Re: Ultimate Line R1/R10 Lens Recommendation Question

Users Country Flag

Sorry Ross,

you seem to be jumping around.

Basic decision you have to take is what you like to do: spherical panoramas, then you have to go for the NN5 RD 16, or 180¬?-360¬? panoramas only, then you have to go for the RD1 RD10.

RD1 RD10 will need the use of a fisheye lens like Canon 15mm/f2.8 or Sigma 8mm/f3.5, you will go for 3 - 6 shots around. Lightweight, quick setup cause lens is fixed to the lens ring, Nadir and Zenith are off the NNP shooting +/- 90¬?, which will leave you some work while stitching.

Deciding to go for spherical panoramas as well, you have to buy a complete second set with the NN5.

Might be you should try to ask a reseller to get the two sets for a weekend to try on yourself.

Heinz
  3. Re: Ultimate Line R1/R10 Lens Recommendation Question

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BorgidaPhotography View Post
    Hello

I am really thinking about purchasing the R1 or R10 for ease of use for commercial shoots.

If I want to use the R1 with my Canon 5D Mark II, what fixed wide-angle or fisheye lens do all of you recommend? I was thinking about getting the NN5-RD16 setup but I need something that does the job quicker (even though I will lose some detail as a result of using a fisheye).

Also, I would like to be making 180 and some 360 panoramas.

Thanks
    Ross
    R1/10 only supports single row pano using fisheye lenses. For a beginner intended to make spherical panos, it is recommended to use a fisheye lens which has >170 deg angle of view in the longer dimension of sensor. This includes Peleng 8mm, Sigma 8mm, shaved Nikon 10.5mm, shaved Samyang 8mm, shaved Tokina 10-17mm.
    For more experienced uses, a full frame fisheye can also be used. Full frame fisheyes have focal length of 15-17mm.

Once properly calibrated, a NN5 will do all the job of R1/10. It offers more freedom to cope with challenging situations by taking zenith and nadir shot.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread