New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BorgidaPhotography View Post
    Hi Guys

Based upon feedback from this forum, I have decided to go with the Nodal Ninja 5 and the PTGUI software.

With that being said, I understand I would need the RD16 if I wanted to shoot above 50mm and the RD8 if I should below 50mm.

If I go with the NN5 standalone version, what is the minimum and maximum focal length I can use? Nick, you had stated the NN5 is a good solution if I want a more affordable Nodal Ninja head. Will that
    give me the option to upgrade to the RD8 or RD16 down the road?

Best,
    Ross
    The default rotator supports finest interval of 10 deg. It is good for focal length below 100mm equivalent. You can upgrade to RD8/16 at any time.
    if you want to get most value for your money, go for NN5L.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Hi Nick

I was informed that Nodal Ninja is discontinuing the NN5L..do you know the reason for this?

I think the NN5 would be the better option as it is staying in production. And, lastly, just to confirm, the NN5 standalone will work with my 24-105 lens in between the 24-100 focal lengths on my Canon 5d Mark II..is that correct?

Thanks to all!
    Ross
  3. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

Hi Nick

I was informed that Nodal Ninja is discontinuing the NN5L..do you know the reason for this?
    Too many options to manage. NN5 has all the function of NN5L. So NN5L can be discontinued.
    However, if you usually shoot at focal length above 100mm, the 15 deg positive stop in the upper rail of NN5 is not useful. Then functionally, it is same as NN5L.

Nick

Fanotec
  4. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Hi Nick

Thanks for the response.

So besides the 15 degree stops above 100mm, what are the other differences between the NN5L and the NN5?

Thanks,
    Ross
  5. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

Hi Nick

Thanks for the response.

So besides the 15 degree stops above 100mm, what are the other differences between the NN5L and the NN5?

Thanks,
    Ross
    no other difference except it is $70 cheaper. :-)

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Hi Nick

Through your response and the video on 'What is the Difference between the NN5 & NN5L,' I see that the 15 degrees locking mechanism on the upper arm is the difference.

However, what I need clarification on is... What does this difference mean in terms of making panoramas? Specifically, what does the NN5 allow me to do that the NN5L will not allow me to do? I apologize if it seems like I am repeating the same question. Once I understand the difference from a photographic standpoint, I will make my final decision and place my order with Nodal Ninja.

Thanks
    Ross
  7. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

One more thing, I use the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead..besides the NN5 or NN5L, what will I need to mount the Nodal Ninja 5 or 5L, one the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead?

Thanks
    Ross
  8. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

Hi Nick

Through your response and the video on 'What is the Difference between the NN5 & NN5L,' I see that the 15 degrees locking mechanism on the upper arm is the difference.

However, what I need clarification on is... What does this difference mean in terms of making panoramas? Specifically, what does the NN5 allow me to do that the NN5L will not allow me to do? I apologize if it seems like I am repeating the same question. Once I understand the difference from a photographic standpoint, I will make my final decision and place my order with Nodal Ninja.

Thanks
    Ross
    The most important difference is precise pitch angle provided by the positive locking mechanism. With the lock on, you can get quite repeated pitch angle every time. This is handy when you have little feature (for control point generation) at the seams of your images. You can apply a template from your previous successful stitch and simply optimize the stitch. Handy but at a cost of $70.
    if you are tight on budget, NN5L standalone is the best deal.
    We released NN5L before the NN5. And we offered upgrade to NN5 for early NN5L users for just $50. Many NN5L users just decided to keep their NN5L.

Nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

One more thing, I use the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead..besides the NN5 or NN5L, what will I need to mount the Nodal Ninja 5 or 5L, one the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead?

Thanks
    Ross
    Not sure about Acratech. all NNs and rotators has 3/8" threaded socket at the base. We also include a 3/8"-1/4" adapter in each unit.

nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Hi Nick

Thanks...so the threaded base does not require me to use the Ultimate Ballhead...got it.

Ok..So I am going with the NN5L I have decided . Lastly, being that the NN5L Standalone does not come with the RD8 or the RD16, what advantages (photographically-speaking) do these rotators have that the standalone version does not have?

Thanks for being patient Nick. I appreciate your responses as I am on a limited budget.

Best,
    Ross
  11. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

One more thing, can I use the EZ Leveler with the NN5L? I need to be able to level the NN5L base so I would think (and have been told the EZ Leveler) is not necessary but makes like a lot easier.

Thanks,
    Ross
  12. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

Hi Nick

Thanks...so the threaded base does not require me to use the Ultimate Ballhead...got it.

Ok..So I am going with the NN5L I have decided . Lastly, being that the NN5L Standalone does not come with the RD8 or the RD16, what advantages (photographically-speaking) do these rotators have that the standalone version does not have?

Thanks for being patient Nick. I appreciate your responses as I am on a limited budget.

Best,
    Ross

NN5/5L default rotator requires you to change detent ring in order to change the shooting interval. Not easy in the field. It is limited to a finest interval of 10 deg. You can use smaller interval (up to 2.5 deg) without detent by reading the scale on the rotator. RD16 is more precise and robust. It allows you to choose from 16 detent interval options on-the-fly by simply swapping the detent plunger. It also supports finest interval of 3.75 deg. RD8 has 8 detent options. The finest interval is 20 deg.

Nick

Fanotec
  13. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

One more thing, can I use the EZ Leveler with the NN5L? I need to be able to level the NN5L base so I would think (and have been told the EZ Leveler) is not necessary but makes like a lot easier.

Thanks,
    Ross
    sure. EZ-L works for all NNs and rotators. but you can live without it.

nick

Fanotec
  14. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Thanks Nick..OK, so to make a final decision, what will it require to make panos efficiently in the field, photographing in vineyards? From what you stated in the previous post, photographing with the NN5L becomes difficult in the field because you have to change the detent ring.

At this point, I think I just need to purchase one and start using it..Just please let me know what will be the most efficient option photographing in the field so I can make 13x30 to 13x40 panoramas.

Thanks
    Ross
  15. Re: New to Nodal Ninja and Panoramic Photography - What Nodal Ninja setup??

Users Country Flag

Thanks Nick..OK, so to make a final decision, what will it require to make panos efficiently in the field, photographing in vineyards? From what you stated in the previous post, photographing with the NN5L becomes difficult in the field because you have to change the detent ring.

At this point, I think I just need to purchase one and start using it..Just please let me know what will be the most efficient option photographing in the field so I can make 13x30 to 13x40 panoramas.

Thanks
    Ross
    if you don't change focal length frequently, the default rotator is fine. RD16 is always better.
    One more thing to consider is the upgradability of the rotator. RD8/16 is compatible with old and future NNs. The default rotator is not.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread