First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

Thread: First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

Share/Bookmark
  1. First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

Got the NN5 Monday afternoon. I was extremely happy with how easy it was to setup. Following the instructions I put everything together and found it nice that a different plate was included that fit my d2x perfectly having a high notch across the rear so it always goes on the camera the exact same way. I only had an 18-200 VR nikon lens to play with today, but I have to try this out. Here are my very first results-

http://ipicture.us/I_Picture_Us/Panoramic.html

Note, the first to I captured in RAW, but sent to ptgui as jpg from Aperture. The 3rd all processing was done in RAW files right in ptgui. (kind of testing out the HDR features.)

If I can pull these results right out of the gate, I can't wait to see what I can get as I learn this. All stitches had ZERO issues.

2. Re: First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

The panoramas appeared to download ok (taking a long time) but all three windows remained blank for me (Windows 7, IE8 and FireFox). I think it best to have only one panorama per page, to keep downlod times to a minimum.

John
  3. Re: First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

I tried viewing the panoramas on my laptop and they worked ok. So I went back to the PC and tried again and they now display there too. I've no idea why. The panos look good, though the claim that there are ZERO stitching issues is not quite justified, as there are some small stitching errors visible. Most are unlikely to be noticed unless you look for them.

John
  4. Re: First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    I tried viewing the panoramas on my laptop and they worked ok. So I went back to the PC and tried again and they now display there too. I've no idea why. The panos look good, though the claim that there are ZERO stitching issues is not quite justified, as there are some small stitching errors visible. Most are unlikely to be noticed unless you look for them.

John
    There is a stitching error in the tobacco shop at the top... not the nn5 or ptgui fault... mine. But it was little so I left it. This was the first pano and use of ptgui, and I selected some incorrect points... It was the only images that couldn't be matched out of all 3 panos... but hey, I'm learning.

I had them all on the page as Quicktime, then a couple people complained they didn't want to have to download quicktime to windows... so, I have been playing with getting a new player and serving them via flash. Going to be redoing the page based off the panoslado player. with offers low-res preview and multiple pano in one player, should really help with the load times etc.
  5. Re: First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

Been playing more with the presentation, I have changes it now to a page I build using the open source PanoSalado player and the Demo of SpinControl VR. The files I inputed are only 2.5meg jpgs. Pretty good results for such a small file.
  6. Re: First 3 Panos done with the NN5 my D2x and 18mm...

Quote Originally Posted by cgerrells View Post
    Pretty good results for such a small file.
    That's not small; it's the size normally used for fullscreen panoramas, generated from equirectangular images of around 5000x2500 to 6000x3000 pixels. I would set the initial fov to something smaller - the distortion is a bit excessive on a widescreen monitor, with unfortunate effects on the guy behind the counter in the Beer & Tobacco store. At fullscreen, the interior panos appear to have focussing issues, as parts are quite blurred. At f/11, you would need to fix the focus at about 1.5m to get everything sharp from 75cm to infinity.

John