Stitching Problems with Office Spaces

Thread: Stitching Problems with Office Spaces

Share/Bookmark
  1. Stitching Problems with Office Spaces

Hi Guys,
    I got the Nodal Ninja 5 a few weeks ago to go along with my 40D and Sigma 10-20 f/3.5. I am currently working on doing virtual tour photography for an office building. This includes several tours of each vacant office space. I have been having trouble, however, stitching the shots together. Theres seems to be problems with PTGUI stitching these spaces, because each photo has very little unique detail in it. I say this because the walls are all one color, the carpet, and then the ceiling tiles.. There is no furniture or pictures on the wall, etc.. It seems like the program has problems creating anchor points. I tried doing a couple tours in my house and it worked great, because there are things in each shot that are unique to that shot.. I hope i am making sense..

Anyways I was just wondering how you guys that do commercial real estate tours tackle this issue.. I have been so far just inputting manual anchor points and fixing the misalligned ones by hand, but this takes a bunch of time and I am not too good at it yet..

Jason
  2. Re: Stitching Problems with Office Spaces

Use a fisheye lens to get a wider fov. This leads to fewer images and fewer overlaps. Calibrate the lens, so that you can manage with fewer control points (no requirement for the optimizer to evaluate lens parameters, which requires lots of points). Use a template to set lens and image parameters. Stick post-it notes on blank areas for control point purposes and clone them out in post-processing. Another option is to use a precision panohead so that you can do true template stitching without control points.

John
  3. Re: Stitching Problems with Office Spaces

Users Country Flag

Follow JOhn's advice. Use the 15 deg stops in the upper rotator. Try to get a good template using these 15 deg stops. It will help you stitch in featureless area.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.