Modifying NN3

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modifying NN3

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Modifying NN3

I an contemplating modifying my NN3 to accommodate a D300. With my Kirk QR plate and clamp on the upper arm, the lower rail setting is 7.5. I need around 5 mm more, which means either grinding away 2-3 mm of the outer edge of the bottom of the vertical arm, or grinding away the flange at the end of the lower arm. I think the first option is better because grinding away the flange might compromise some strength. I think the NN3 should be able to handle the D300 weight wise and would prefer to keep it rather than spring for a NN5.
    Any thoughts?
  2. Re: Modifying NN3

Users Country Flag

Hi Tim,

You are using R-D8, right? I have some NN5 short lower rails. You can use it on NN3 upper assembly with a NN5 vertical knob.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Modifying NN3

Thanks for your reply Nick. The short NN5 lower rail would give me an extra 5 or 10 mm beyond my NN3 lower rail? Just what I need. Your product evolution, specifically the R1 and R10 lines, have made the use of my NN3 less frequent, but there are still times when it is needed. Thanks for your help.

Tim
  4. Re: Modifying NN3

Hmm ... troubled by this thread.

I have just purchased the NN3 MKll for use with Nikon D300/D70 wTokina 12-24 - pretty common configuration I would think.

I am not having much luck mounting either camera with this lens. Even at it's max extension on the standard 12 cm upper horizontal arm,
    the lens extends well past the upright. I'm not by any means inclined to start grinding on it.

Do I need an extension?

Thanks.

T
  5. Re: Modifying NN3

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    Hmm ... troubled by this thread.

I have just purchased the NN3 MKll for use with Nikon D300/D70 wTokina 12-24 - pretty common configuration I would think.

I am not having much luck mounting either camera with this lens. Even at it's max extension on the standard 12 cm upper horizontal arm,
    the lens extends well past the upright. I'm not by any means inclined to start grinding on it.

Do I need an extension?

Thanks.

T

you can extend upper rail by 30mm, using a T-adapter.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread