Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Share/Bookmark
  1. Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Any views/feelings or comments on this lens?

If I buy it, I'll be using it on a D300 or D300s. I would love the budget to stretch for the Sigma 8mm but it won't and if I don't need the Nikkor 10.5 then I 'll save my money.

My main question relates to its use versus say a Tamron 11-18 to capture images for 360x180 panos. Is it going to be easier from a stitching perspective to use images from the fisheye rather than the Tamron irrespective of the number of images and which is going to give the best results.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
    Tony

Still on the merry-go-round and haven't worked out how to get off, and......don't want to.
  2. Re: Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
    Any views/feelings or comments on this lens?

If I buy it, I'll be using it on a D300 or D300s. I would love the budget to stretch for the Sigma 8mm but it won't and if I don't need the Nikkor 10.5 then I 'll save my money.

My main question relates to its use versus say a Tamron 11-18 to capture images for 360x180 panos. Is it going to be easier from a stitching perspective to use images from the fisheye rather than the Tamron irrespective of the number of images and which is going to give the best results.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
    Tony

Sigma 8mm: 4 shots around, + zenith and nadir
    Nikon 10.5mm: 6 shots around, + zenith and nadir
    Tamron 11-18mm at 11mm: 8 shots around at +/-30 deg, + zenith and nadir, total 18 shots.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Nick,

Thanks. It' obviously going to be a lot easier to shoot with either the Sigma or the Nikkor rather than the Tamron.

Does today's software, for example PTGui, work better with less or more images?

Tony

Still on the merry-go-round and haven't worked out how to get off, and......don't want to.
  4. Re: Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
    Nick,

Thanks. It' obviously going to be a lot easier to shoot with either the Sigma or the Nikkor rather than the Tamron.

Does today's software, for example PTGui, work better with less or more images?

Tony
    fewer images, fewer seams, less work for the stitcher.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

I have used both Sigma 8mm and Nikon 10.5mm and prefer the Nikon and sold the Sigma even though it requires more images to create the panorama.
    Both lenses give great results, but I found that the images from the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye seemed to work better.
    The Tamronn will need agreat deal more images, processing time etc.
    You may find looking at http://www.hugha.co.uk/NodalPoint/Le...estigation.htm helpful.

Best regards, Hugh.
  6. Re: Nikko 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye

Everyone,

Thanks for the input.

The end result is that my new Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye rolled up about 4 hours ago.

Well, someone says, show us your 1st pano with the news lens. :

Not quite. About to head out to the front yard to take a shot of the street we live in. If this all works then I'll be happy and off to shoot a couple of panos 2moro.

Again thanks or the input.

cheers
    Tony

+ Reply to Thread