Stable tripod for D700 and NN5

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stable tripod for D700 and NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. Stable tripod for D700 and NN5

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying the NN5 to be used with my newly bought Nikon D700. Well, I have yet to get my tripod legs yet, though I have seen and liked Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. But I have read somewhere in this forum that Gitzo has a better center column than Manfrotto offerings? Also is the NN5 and 055CXPRO3 a balanced combination? That is, it will be stable and will not topple over? Anyone with similar combination can advise? Thanks.
  2. Re: Stable tripod for D700 and NN5

Users Country Flag

Hi clavi,

is use an manfrotto 055ProB, Ez-Leveller II (very useful!), NN5, D3 with lenses up to 70-200mm/f2.8. I never ever had a problem with this combination.

I do not know the gitzo tripods, but concerning the middle column of the manfrotto, you will not meet a problem. You only have to extend it up to about 5 cm to be in a good position to take your shots without bending down your body. I am 1,83m .

It is true, when you extend the column to max, especially with heavy combinations like D3 300mm/f2.8, the column is not stable. But till now i had no need to extend the column to max.

I use the manfrotto carbon tripod for my videocamera. It is nice and works well with <2kg on top. But i am not shure what will happen in heavy winds.

I used my 055ProB in heavy winds and i was happy to use a stable and not a lightweight combination in this situations. I added spikes rubbercups combinations to the legs, the fixings of the legs are not worn out though i use the tripod a lot. Till now this is the same with the carbon tripod, i heard about this problem from Pro's. But i do not use the carbon one as much.

I would prefer the Non carbon version, specially in heavy winds with long exposures you have enough problems with the heavier 055ProB combination.

May be i find some time to test my carbon one for you this weekend.

Heinz

3. Re: Stable tripod for D700 and NN5

Hi Heinz,

Thanks for the advice. Is your 055ProB an aluminium one? If yes, I saw that in my neighbourhood photo store, think it is a 055XProB?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    I would prefer the Non carbon version, specially in heavy winds with long exposures you have enough problems with the heavier 055ProB combination.
  4. Re: Stable tripod for D700 and NN5

Users Country Flag

Yes, you are right.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread