Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Hi,

For those who have ball heads and do other types of photography in addition to panoramas, I was wondering what is the best/easiest arrangement (with respect to quick release systems, etc). In my mind I'm trying to figure out how all the components would go together. For example, if I attach the NN to my ball head's quick release plate, and then attach the NN quick release plate to my camera, if I want to do some standard photography it seems I'd have to take off both quick release plates and reverse them. What are some good ways of working around this?

Thank you,

Mark
  2. Re: Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hi,

For those who have ball heads and do other types of photography in addition to panoramas, I was wondering what is the best/easiest arrangement (with respect to quick release systems, etc). In my mind I'm trying to figure out how all the components would go together. For example, if I attach the NN to my ball head's quick release plate, and then attach the NN quick release plate to my camera, if I want to do some standard photography it seems I'd have to take off both quick release plates and reverse them. What are some good ways of working around this?

Thank you,

Mark
    It depends how you like to work I use the NN3 mk2 directly on the legs and have a quick release on on the arm.
    The plate on my camera fits both the one on the arm and on my tripod head when it is on the tripod.

I do not like to use heads on top of heads.
  3. Re: Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hi,

Thank you,

Mark
    At the moment, we have 2 QR solution. An economical QRS2 that is compatible with Manfrotto and Gitzo plates, and an Arca Swiss compatible QR system.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    It depends how you like to work I use the NN3 mk2 directly on the legs and have a quick release on on the arm.
    The plate on my camera fits both the one on the arm and on my tripod head when it is on the tripod.

I do not like to use heads on top of heads.
    Same here. I remove my ballhead and mount my NN5 directly to the legs. This feels more solid that putting the NN5 on top of my ballhead. I always have an L-plate on the camera which works in both landscape and portrait... on either the ballhead Arca clamp... or NN Arca clamp on my NN5.

David
  5. Re: Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

It seems like a lot of work to remove a ball head. Maybe in dark places there would be an advantage, but with a reasonable amount of light my ball head is quite stable. I think the weakest link is in the arm that holds the camera, as far as vibration potential. I tend to look at it as how long do I want to take setting up for a panorama. With my quick release setup on camera and NN3 I can be set up quickly, and with the ball head I can level the NN3 in seconds. With the fantastic RD8, rotation is now very clean and precise, ( thanks Nick ).
    Of course I could be completely wrong!
  6. Re: Preferred/Best Way to Use NN with Ball Head (Quick Release, etc.)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by waters View Post
    It seems like a lot of work to remove a ball head. Maybe in dark places there would be an advantage, but with a reasonable amount of light my ball head is quite stable. I think the weakest link is in the arm that holds the camera, as far as vibration potential. I tend to look at it as how long do I want to take setting up for a panorama. With my quick release setup on camera and NN3 I can be set up quickly, and with the ball head I can level the NN3 in seconds. With the fantastic RD8, rotation is now very clean and precise, ( thanks Nick ).
    Of course I could be completely wrong!
    I would not agree with you. I leave my tripod either with no head or the NN attached Levelling with the legs is virtually automatic and does not take more than 5 seconds.

The vibration Starts in the camera then through the nn, then travels down the legs then back up again. the less you extend the column or have things above it the less the vibration.
    Most vibration starts with mirror slap and or wind. Use mirror lock up and remote release and wait for a lull.
+ Reply to Thread