Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

Thread: Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

I've complied a chart that can be used as a "general guideline" in figuring out how many shots required to shot a full 360 degree panorama. The chart assumes approximately 25% overlap. There is a bit of flexibility in selecting the correct click stop intervals especially at higher focal lengths. You could use the next higher or next lower click stop.
    Fanotec's Advanced Rotator D-16 for example is capable of stops as small as 3.75 degrees - the smallest of any rotator on the market today.
    see also: http://www.nodalninja.com/pano_calculations.html
    and
    http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=240.0

2. Re: Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

It is very useful chart. I got question after I read it. I do not know what solution of detent interval for 300mm. I have NN5 with RD16. If 2-3 degree detent interval is possible with normal rotator that comes with NN5 light, I am want to purchase.

Thanks
  3. Re: Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by wilco23 View Post
    It is very useful chart. I got question after I read it. I do not know what solution of detent interval for 300mm. I have NN5 with RD16. If 2-3 degree detent interval is possible with normal rotator that comes with NN5 light, I am want to purchase.
    Thanks
    Remember this is a general guideline ONLY but very easy to confirm needed interval by looking in your camera viewfinder, rotating 75% across the horizontal plane and noting how much you rotated by looking at rotator degree markings. If you need to use smaller than 3.75 clicks you will need to disengage the click stops (just loosen detent knob) and use the 2 degree reference marks on the rotator itself.
  4. Re: Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Remember this is a general guideline ONLY but very easy to confirm needed interval by looking in your camera viewfinder, rotating 75% across the horizontal plane and noting how much you rotated by looking at rotator degree markings. If you need to use smaller than 3.75 clicks you will need to disengage the click stops (just loosen detent knob) and use the 2 degree reference marks on the rotator itself.
    I am spoiled with RD16 detent interval, since it is very easy to shoot and does not need to look down degree. Shooting with looking degree is a pain because after I shoot one pic, I need to look down and add 3 degree and lost attention on camera.
  5. Re: Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

Bill is there anyway you could have this as a word document, or something similar, so I could have it to printout? Its a great help !
  6. Re: Shot Chart - how many images to form 360 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
    Bill is there anyway you could have this as a word document, or something similar, so I could have it to printout? Its a great help !
    Had a recent backup system fail and many files were lost including the master file to this table. Shame as it took a fair amount of work to create.
    Just right click and save image then use photo editing software to scale to print.
    Remember these are general guidelines only - the best way to determine the needed rotation is to simply look in the viewfinder. Referencing the rotator marks note how far you pan across the horizon while leaving a given overlap using a given focal length.