Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Hi, some setup photos for you D90 NN5/RD16 and NN3 MKII.

You can not use the 17-55mm/f2.8 DX with the NN3, the upper rail setting needs a 132 at zoom 17. So you need an NN5 for this lens.

Do not feel irritated with the picture of the 10.5mmfisheye lens. It shows the lens with the mounted lens ring for the R1. And it is shaved, cause i normally use it with D3 on R1. But now problem at all to use it with the mounted lens ring on NN3 and NN5.

If you like to use larger and heavier lenses with the D90 than shown in the NN3, you have to choose for NN5.

The tripod for NN3, normally used for R1 is a lightweight solution from gitzo, GT1541.

The tripod for NN5/RD16 D3 is a manfrotto 055ProB.

Regards

Heinz
  2. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Now the ones for D90 NN3.

Hope this might help for your decisions.

Heinz
  3. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

i have no idea what any of this stuff means or how it would help my decision. I do see you posted images of other lenses that I dont have.
  4. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

"This stuff" means to give you, and others as well, an impression of what your camera the D90 looks like mounted to NN3 and NN5. Cause one of your questions was "what nodal ninja..". Two of your lenses are shown in the pictures, 18-105mm and 50mm.

The quickest way to shoot panoramas is to use a fisheye lens. Because of this I added 10.5mm fisheye. And to get to know the border line for the NN3, I added the 18-200mmVRII which you can get in a D90 set as well and many people have it cause it is a nice and lightweight combination for most situations.

The lenses shown with NN3 can be used on it without problems. But when you follow my comments, you will realize that the 17-55/f2.8 DX lens can only be used on the NN5 because of weight and upper rail setting. And then you know that your sigma 70-300 won't work , as Bill mentioned, on the NN3 as well.

When you have followed the forum for a longer time, you might recognize, that a lot of people ask "what NN model for my combination?" And a lot of questions about rail settings of the D90 and other cameras.

So the answers being placed in many cases are not only placed to solve your personal problem, but for many others as well.

This is why from time to time I place "Stuff" on this forum.

Regards,

Heinz

5. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now and your information does help in decide. Now I guess I need to decide which rotator to order with my NN
  6. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

For which NN did you decide?

Heinz
  7. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

I figure I should just get the NN5 rather than get NN3 and possibly want to upgrade at a later date. Is it better to choose NN5 over NN5L for the 15 degree locking mechanism? Also, is there any kind of a delay when ordering or anything or are there Nodal Ninja's available to be shipped out right away?
  8. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Also, I noticed there are quick release plates in the e-store, is there any way to tell what one to get or is it just trial and error? I was looking at getting this tripod: http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B1.../dp/B001D60LG8
  9. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Hi,

it should be NN5. With this model you may use the locking mechanism or not. So you can use free settings as well. With heavier lenses it should be this model.

Concerning your tripod, you should use one without ball head or where you can remove it and set the NN directly on top. NN5 and camera on top will give a lot of torque. A normal ballhead won't stand this. You risk to loose your camera by falling down.

Try to get one which can be raised similar to the Manfrotto 055ProB. In this case I raise the center column for the width of a hand to have the best carrying point to replace the whole system and. I can use the system without bending down. If you have to raise the centre column more than that, even Pro Systems will move in heavy wind conditions cause of the torque on top.

When you do not have a quick release system till now, use the QRS2 system.

So try to get the best tripod for your needs. Even when it is not very cheep. But this will leave you some money left to get an EZ-Leveller or the remote control you need if you do not have one already instead of buying a second tripod.

I use this wireless remote control which can be fitted to my nikon cameras for e reasonable price. Good an popular product in Europe. http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=...s&id=35&pId=35

Heinz

10. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Ok great, thanks for the info. Any idea how quickly an NN5 would ship out? We have a tulip festival going on right now and the fields would make an excellent pano shot. I live in WA state, USA.
  11. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Use the estore or call rob on phone to get the information.

Nodal Ninja
    3454 N. San Marcos Place Ste #8
    Chandler, Arizona 85248 USA
    hours of operation: M-T-TH-F 7am - 12PM MST (-7GMT) - express shipping cutoff time 11am
    ph: 1-480-659-9899 / fax 1-480-452-0452
    We are a small company and only work a limited number of hours each day so we may or may not be available to answer your call directly. If nobody answers your call “please” leave your name and phone number and best time to call you back. We will even return International calls as well (calls need to be in English).

Heinz