Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Share/Bookmark
  1. Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Hi guys I'm looking at giving this kind of photography a shot and was wondering if my 18-105mm lens set to 18mm would be wide enough to create a good image. Has anyone here used this lens for doing these 360's?
  2. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by baker1444 View Post
    Hi guys I'm looking at giving this kind of photography a shot and was wondering if my 18-105mm lens set to 18mm would be wide enough to create a good image. Has anyone here used this lens for doing these 360's?
    Yes the 18mm lens is an excellent lens for creating panoramas. You might need some added shots - approx 10 around for single row. You could also shoot mult-row for high-resolution full 360x180 degree spherical panoramas.

Bill
  3. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Thanks Bill for the quick reply!! I needed to make sure before getting to far into it. Are the images created using a 10mm or 12mm any better or just require less images and those take less stitching.
  4. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by baker1444 View Post
    Thanks Bill for the quick reply!! I needed to make sure before getting to far into it. Are the images created using a 10mm or 12mm any better or just require less images and those take less stitching.
    I like to show off Dorin's website in Romania - see http://www.dxn.ro/
    He uses the 18-55mm and 8mm lenses. You will see the quality of the work that is possible.
  5. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Hi,

may be you will be glad with this: D90 Lower rail setting 54

18-105VR/f3,5-5,6 D90:

18 100
    24 95
    35 88
    50 78
    70 66
    105 28 you have to replace the normal knob with the screw from the rail stop and add two rings to be able to fix the plate.

cheers

Heinz

6. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

"you have to replace the normal knob with the screw from the rail stop and add two rings to be able to fix the plate"

Hello Heinz...

Could you give us more informations about this ?
    Maybe with pictures if youhave time...

Thank you

-g-
  7. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Hi,

you can not reach a rail setting of 28 with the normal knob of the upper rail. So i used the screw of the rail stop plate, which is too long. To be able to fix the camera tight, i added two rings to the screw to get the right length. Now you can fix the camera plate tight.

In the meantime you as well can order a special knob from the estore.

Heinz
  8. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

another one

Heinz
  9. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    another one

Heinz
    you can also use this knob.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/vrk-3-s.htm

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  10. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Hi, new to the forum and nodal ninja's and pano shots, hopefully it's ok to post this here since I have the same camera. I have a D90 as well with the 18-105 kit lens, I also have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens and a Sigma 70-300. Which Nodal Ninja do I need to get? I tried looking at the chart but I dont understand some of it. I like the panos ive seen on here where you can scroll all the way around but the first thing I'd like to try and do is get a nice flat pano/multi shot of our san juan islands. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  11. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by freefallnick View Post
    Hi, new to the forum and nodal ninja's and pano shots, hopefully it's ok to post this here since I have the same camera. I have a D90 as well with the 18-105 kit lens, I also have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens and a Sigma 70-300. Which Nodal Ninja do I need to get? I tried looking at the chart but I dont understand some of it. I like the panos ive seen on here where you can scroll all the way around but the first thing I'd like to try and do is get a nice flat pano/multi shot of our san juan islands. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Hello - welcome to the forum.
    The least expensive recommendation is the NN5L
    http://store.nodalninja.com/category_s/31.htm
    You can go up in price from their depending on the added features you seek.
    Cheers
    Bill
  12. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

13. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by freefallnick View Post
    So I wouldnt want to get an NN3?
    The Sigma 70-300mm is far to large a lens - just wont fit. You could use the D90 with 50mm lens on NN3.
  14. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Would I ever want to use it though? Having never taken these photos before I wasn't sure which lenses I would use.

Also, is it better to get the RD16? or RD8 or what?
  15. Re: Nikon d90 and the 18-105mm lens

Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome,

I suppose you won't use the big lens in the beginning. Though you get a better resolution, it takes a much bigger amount of pictures and in the beginning I would not dare to shoot and stitch panoramas with this lens right now.

But take in your mind, if once your are infected with this virus, you might do something else than "6 shots around or 4, or 3 with fisheye lenses". Or you want to step over to FX frame cameras. In this case you would need the NN5w/RD16 for two reasons: weight of the camera-lens combination is too heavy, your lens asks the longer upper rail of the NN5 for the upper rails settings. NN5 / RD16 gives you the widest range to expand without buying something new.

So this is something you have to take in your mind when deciding to buy your equipment.

I will set up photos for you D90 NN5 NN3 Kit Lens, 50mm today and send information about rail- and detend plunger settings of the rotator.

Meanwhile you could work through the store, NN3 MkII complete set or with rotator RD8, NN5 RD16, Ez-Leveller II, to check the amount of money you have to spend for the different set up's.

Keep in mind, you are just missing a Nikkor 10.5mm/f2.8 DX fisheye lens, high price but highest quality.

So it takes some time to get all this information, but I am quite sure we can get you running quite soon.

Heinz