Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Share/Bookmark
  1. Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Not much to do on a Sunday afternoon when the tribe are sick, so I thought I would finally get around to making some setting on the NN5 for my D3 and 24-70, so at the marked zoom lengths:

{deleted by moderator - settings may be in error}

The 50/70mm zoom settings appeared to be the same. If anyone finds different settings for the whole set or just one or two, please correct as necessary. I used two pencils about a metre and a half apart (front to back) on a table and checked by swinging the D3/24-70 from left to right. It's a method I've seen in a couple of magazines so I'd thought I'd give it a go.

Hope it helps...

[moderator edit - felt it best to delete these settings before Google picked them up - as soon as you are able to reconfirm please repost - thx - bb]
  2. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Many thanks for taking the time to share your settings!!

Bill
  3. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Users Country Flag

Hi Makiru,

sorry to say, but found different settings:

D3 24-70mm/f2.8:

24mm 146 ; 28mm 142 ; 35mm 134; 50mm 124; 70mm 120.

lower rail setting is 86

I will try to send the fotos tonight.

Heinz
  4. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Hello Heinz,

Not a problem, took me a couple of hours with various upper rail forward/back combinations. I guess there was an error factor, but I'll try both sets of numbers. Many thanks for taking the time to verify. I guess my difference was based on the lower rail setting, 85mm against 86mm. At least I've got something to work on.

Thanks again Heinz...
  5. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Makiru,

sorry to say, but found different settings:

D3 24-70mm/f2.8:

24mm 146 ; 28mm 142 ; 35mm 134; 50mm 124; 70mm 120.

lower rail setting is 86

I will try to send the fotos tonight.

Heinz
    Thank you Heinz for your findings. Before we post the actual settings it is best to receive confirmation from at least two people so if Makiru can confirm we can publish them.
    thx guys
    Bill
  6. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Hello Bill,

No worries. If I get a chance this weekend I'll give it a go and confirm either way. Thanks again to Heinz for double checking.
  7. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Users Country Flag

Hi Bill,

i have an appointment with jan van der woning which you know as well next Friday to check all the fotos from all the lenses and settings i worked out. I have made 3 fotos for each setting, also fotos with different settings when they differ with mine.

Anyway, one of the mistakes in the database is that the setting with and without a batterygrip is not the same. The battery grip for the D200 changes the setting for 6mm, cause the tripod mount of the battery grip and the one to the camera differ in the sagittal direction. I will send you the whole database when i checked it with jan.

Heinz
  8. Re: Rail settings for a D3 + 24-70

Users Country Flag

Bill,

just checked my database,

concerning the battery grip for the D200, you have to go backwards for 6mm, cause the tripod mount of the grip mounts the camera 6 mm forward.

For example: 17-55mm/f2.8 ED DX zoom 17 has an upper rail setting of 132 for the body alone, a 126 with battery grip.

I could not measure the grip for D700, but i suppose there is an offset as well. May be someone else can check this.

so long, heinz
+ Reply to Thread