Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

Just received the Arca style quick release clamp, overall it works as described but the spring in the lever to tighten it seems rather weak. Specifically the spring that holds the lever in place but also allows you to 'ratchet' it back. Mine just seems to have barely enough force to push its own weight back up so when you are tighten it down seems to have a rather flimsy feel to it and won't always engage if I don't make sure it re-seats itself properly. I was going to see if I can take the nut out the end but and put a stiffer spring in but appears its been put in with locktite or something.

Any suggestions?
  2. Re: Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by seachaz View Post
    Just received the Arca style quick release clamp, overall it works as described but the spring in the lever to tighten it seems rather weak. Specifically the spring that holds the lever in place but also allows you to 'ratchet' it back. Mine just seems to have barely enough force to push its own weight back up so when you are tighten it down seems to have a rather flimsy feel to it and won't always engage if I don't make sure it re-seats itself properly. I was going to see if I can take the nut out the end but and put a stiffer spring in but appears its been put in with locktite or something.

Any suggestions?
    I deliberately choose a weak spring. The spring only keep the handle in space. The handle can never escape or be lost.
    I find weaker spring is easier to use if I need to turn the handle for more than one turns.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I deliberately choose a weak spring. The spring only keep the handle in space. The handle can never escape or be lost.
    I find weaker spring is easier to use if I need to turn the handle for more than one turns.

Nick
    At first, I wondered if the spring was too weak. But after using it a few times, I find the light spring tension allows a smooth effortless ratcheting action without risk of moving the setup.

Nick's ratchet lever with light spring tension is a very nice design.

David
  4. Re: Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

If that's its design guess I just need more time to get used to it - I have an older tripod head with similar lever and spring on it is pretty stiff so guess I'm just used to that. Also glad hear what I have is by design and not some one off flaw.

Otherwise a great addition to my NN5 - no more swapping out plates on the camera!

Thanks
  5. Re: Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    At first, I wondered if the spring was too weak. But after using it a few times, I find the light spring tension allows a smooth effortless ratcheting action without risk of moving the setup.

Nick's ratchet lever with light spring tension is a very nice design.

David
    So the design is more of a screw clamp with a ratchet action on the screw...??

I thought it was a lever clamp, more like the RRS lever action.

I guess I will find out Monday as mine is due then.

John
  6. Re: Arca style clamp, spring in tightening leaver seems weak...

After having more time to play with the clamp over the weekend found I don't really need to mess with repositioning the lever so spring tension is really a non issue. 1 half turn (180 degrees) is enough for me to get the camera in and fully tightened. Basically just have to set the initial lever position once and that's it.

+ Reply to Thread