Which Quick Release for a NN5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Which Quick Release for a NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #1

    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Paris, France
    Posts: 8

    Hi guys,

    I bough one of the early NN5 in 2008.
    I noticed that there are 2 types of quick release systems available for the NN5 : The Fanotec's one at (39,95$ for the full set) and the Arca Swiss compatible (44,95$ for the clamp + 24,95$ for the plate).
    What are the differences between this two systems ?
    Even if I know that NN5 is not batchable, my aim is to approach repeatable results.
    Which one should I go with ?

    Thank you
    Gandalf
  2. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Hi guys,

    I bough one of the early NN5 in 2008.
    I noticed that there are 2 types of quick release systems available for the NN5 : The Fanotec's one at (39,95$ for the full set) and the Arca Swiss compatible (44,95$ for the clamp + 24,95$ for the plate).
    What are the differences between this two systems ?
    Even if I know that NN5 is not batchable, my aim is to approach repeatable results.
    Which one should I go with ?

    Thank you
    Gandalf
    Hi Gandalf,
    Both quick release systems will work for you. Many people already use the Arca style system (dovetail mounting) so for them we offer either the clamp or plate but due to increase manufacturing costs they sell for a bit more. The standard quick release system ($39.95) is excellent value and should work just fine for you.
    We do not claim or recommend our customers to attempt repeatable results for batch stitching. For this you would need a competitors pano head costing twice the cost of a NN5.
    thank you
    Bill
  3. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #3

    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Paris, France
    Posts: 8

    Bill, thank you for your quick answer.

    So there is no difference between the two models ? just a matter of compatibilty with Arca ?
  4. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,457

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Bill, thank you for your quick answer.

    So there is no difference between the two models ? just a matter of compatibilty with Arca ?
    The Arca style QR system is CNC machined and anodized from aluminum alloy. It is higher quality and more durable.
    The QRS2 is die cast and painted.


    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #5

    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: Canada - Toronto
    Posts: 21

    The Arca-style quick-release system is very nice, and extremely solid when clamped. (No experience with the less-expensive one) "Arca-style" means a specific size and shape of dovetail mounting that many higher-end photographic equipment manufacturers support (you can get plates from Kirk, RRS, Wimberly, Arca-Swiss, Linhof, NodalNinja, etc.). I use a Kirk plate which fits into the NN Arca release, and on my Markins ball-head. Both are rock-solid.

    Before the Arca-style release from NN, I had mounted a Manfrotto RC2 clamp to my NN5 and it was "repeatable" if not exactly rock-solid. I switched because I got a new ball-head that was Arca (and solid), and frankly the RC2 system required a lot of "fiddling" to get the plate well-mounted.
  6. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #6

    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Paris, France
    Posts: 8

    @Bill, @Nick, thanks for your explanations

    @Panoguy. Thank you very much for your testimonial.
    That finished to convince me to go for an arca compatible one
  7. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #7

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The Arca style QR system is CNC machined and anodized from aluminum alloy. It is higher quality and more durable.
    The QRS2 is die cast and painted.
    Is this the ASQRC-2?

    How does this QR compare (other than price) with an RRS lever QR clamp and the RP1-38 Rail Plate. I am assuming the RRS B2 LR II: 60mm LR clamp, which has the 3/8" tap.

    While I am asking, is the ASQRP-1 plate compatible with the RRS lever clamps, or only AS-type screw clamps?


    Thanks....JOHN
  8. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #8

    In the NN5 User Manual, page 4, it shows a 70-200 lens mounted to the upper arm with the lens collar mount.

    Is this possible with any of the AS QR solutions? (The obvious challenge is that the len collar plate is 90' to the camera plate orientation)

    John
  9. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #9
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,457

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsforums View Post
    Is this the ASQRC-2?

    How does this QR compare (other than price) with an RRS lever QR clamp and the RP1-38 Rail Plate. I am assuming the RRS B2 LR II: 60mm LR clamp, which has the 3/8" tap.

    While I am asking, is the ASQRP-1 plate compatible with the RRS lever clamps, or only AS-type screw clamps?


    Thanks....JOHN
    Our plate is compatible with screw clamp only.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  10. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #10
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,457

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsforums View Post
    In the NN5 User Manual, page 4, it shows a 70-200 lens mounted to the upper arm with the lens collar mount.

    Is this possible with any of the AS QR solutions? (The obvious challenge is that the len collar plate is 90' to the camera plate orientation)

    John
    The ASQRC2 allows both directions (parallel and perpendicular to the rail). So it is compatible with lens collar.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  11. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #11

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Our plate is compatible with screw clamp only.

    Nick
    Bummer...but thanks for reply.

    I use RRS Lever clamps. Can you recommend RRS or Wimberly plate which will best attach to NN5 rotator base (or future, if upgraded, D16 base)? I would like to minimize any torque twisting and do not know dimensions (diameter) or possible mounting taps (other that tripod in center).

    John
  12. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #12

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The ASQRC2 allows both directions (parallel and perpendicular to the rail). So it is compatible with lens collar.

    Nick
    That is great. Seems the way to go and superior to other clamp with 3/8" low profile rail.

    John
  13. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #13
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,457

    Quote Originally Posted by jrsforums View Post
    Bummer...but thanks for reply.

    I use RRS Lever clamps. Can you recommend RRS or Wimberly plate which will best attach to NN5 rotator base (or future, if upgraded, D16 base)? I would like to minimize any torque twisting and do not know dimensions (diameter) or possible mounting taps (other that tripod in center).

    John
    I have no idea for the plate. Preferably, the plate should use a 3/8" screw. Then you can use 2 screws to mount the plate on the rotator base. Otherwise you need 2 1/4"-3/8" adapter screws.
    Skimming through RRS catalog, I find their "Special Fore-CAft Style Plate". The B22 and B29 should work best.


    NIck



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  14. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #14

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I have no idea for the plate. Preferably, the plate should use a 3/8" screw. Then you can use 2 screws to mount the plate on the rotator base. Otherwise you need 2 1/4"-3/8" adapter screws.
    Skimming through RRS catalog, I find their "Special Fore-CAft Style Plate". The B22 and B29 should work best.
    Thanks, Nick...

    What is the diameter of the NN5 rotator base. I assume one of the 3/8" holes is in the center for tripod mounting. What is the center to center distance to the other 3/8" hole?

    John
  15. Re: Which Quick Release for a NN5

    #15

    Just went to order NN5L and AS-QR clamp. The clamp is out of stock. When is expected to be back in stock? Do you take back orders?

    John

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •