Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded a NN5 with the 2nd gen. Arca-style quick-release clamp (ASQRC-2). I use a Pentax K20D w/ the battery grip, and a Kirk custom-fit Arca plate. Everything fits together solidly and is very easy to operate, even though the Kirk plate is longer than the clamp by quite a bit.

The problem is that there is no *repeatable* way to insure that my plate is in the clamp at the same place every time unless I use one of the "flip-up" stops included with the clamp (thanks, Nick!). The plate hits this stop and the lens centerline (as seen when shooting the rotator from above) is still about 2mm off, despite adjusting the Kirk plate as much as possible on the grip (which has a tripod mount about 10mm off to begin with). This means my lens centerline is not perfectly in line with the NN5's upper arm and rotator joint, but about 2mm *above* it.

This is a rough place to start the calibration of my body and 10-17mm fisheye on the head. Given that I only ever shoot at 10mm (6 around, +zenith, maybe nadir) and always have the grip on the camera, can this be worked around (or ignored)?

I think the 6 horizon-shots will be fine no matter what "height" the lens is above the rotator, but as soon as I flip for the zenith, the shot is off by 2mm. I've calibrated my pan-head countless times before with other bodies and lenses, but always *started* with the lens perfectly in-line with the upper arm, and with this variance, I don't trust my own (horizontal) calibration. Any insights on how bad this could be?

(BTW, I stitch with Stitcher 2009 and use Smartblend - my few tests (with featureless ceilings and trees outside) show no big problems... yet.)
  2. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

sounds like you need the Really Right Stuff MPR-B index stop bar (Google it)

Michael
  3. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    here's what it looks like:
  4. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    Thank you, Michael! That is almost exactly what I thought this plate needed, but didn't know it existed already (and RRS makes good stuff). That will stop my plate (on the high side) without using the flip-up stops - nice!

I'll order one or two and report back how they work. Plus, I really need to learn to post pictures of what I'm describing: I read through my own post above and could barely understand what I meant!
  5. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by panoguy View Post
    Thank you, Michael! That is almost exactly what I thought this plate needed, but didn't know it existed already (and RRS makes good stuff). That will stop my plate (on the high side) without using the flip-up stops - nice!

I'll order one or two and report back how they work. Plus, I really need to learn to post pictures of what I'm describing: I read through my own post above and could barely understand what I meant!
    Actually, I have made many of these stop bars. They are originally for lens rings for R1/10. Since they don't work well with many lens ring models, I decided to give them up and use more advanced stop plate design.
    They are available for $9.35 each. I will upload some photos tomorrow.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Actually, I have made many of these stop bars. They are originally for lens rings for R1/10. Since they don't work well with many lens ring models, I decided to give them up and use more advanced stop plate design.
    They are available for $9.35 each. I will upload some photos tomorrow.
    Hey Nick,

This sounds great, but how do I buy them from you (or know what I'm buying)? Are they the same as the RRS stops?

-Mark
  7. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Panoguy....

I assume that the Kirk camera plate does not have center alignment marks such as the RRS camera plates do.

Couldn't you just scratch or file a mark on the plate to where it lines up with the NN QR-clamp? If needed...add a mark on the NN QR-clamp also.

John
  8. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Users Country Flag

Hey Nick,

This sounds great, but how do I buy them from you (or know what I'm buying)? Are they the same as the RRS stops?

-Mark
    The stop will hit store next week. Sorry for delaying the photos. Really busy in making more lens rings for other lens.
    It works the same as the RRS stops but they are not the same as RRS one. We don't make clones of other products.

Nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by jrsforums View Post
    I assume that the Kirk camera plate does not have center alignment marks such as the RRS camera plates do.

Couldn't you just scratch or file a mark on the plate to where it lines up with the NN QR-clamp? If needed...add a mark on the NN QR-clamp also.
    Hey John,

Yes, I could just scratch a mark on the plate (since the Kirk has no markings) and also on the NNQR clamp to visually align them, but I am frequently in a hurry "chasing the light" and sliding my camera up and down while trying to tighten something is exactly what I want to avoid. Plus, it is just one more thing to think about (outside of camera settings!), and my idea of a QR clamp is that it will be solid, repeatable and fast, and just "dropping it in until it hits the stop" will fit the bill.

I just ordered the RRS Arca-stops because the NN versions haven't appeared in the store and NN's shipping for small items to Canada is outrageous (even though I know it's to encourage us to use our local reseller - who I know personally, but he just doesn't stock this stuff). I'm starting to think I could've built something myself to do the job, but RRS makes RR stuff.
  10. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Users Country Flag

I just ordered the RRS Arca-stops because the NN versions haven't appeared in the store and NN's shipping for small items to Canada is outrageous (even though I know it's to encourage us to use our local reseller - who I know personally, but he just doesn't stock this stuff). I'm starting to think I could've built something myself to do the job, but RRS makes RR stuff.
    Here is our version.

$9.95 each. $14.95 a pair.

Nick

Fanotec
  11. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

I just ordered the RRS Arca-stops because the NN versions haven't appeared in the store and NN's shipping for small items to Canada is outrageous (even though I know it's to encourage us to use our local reseller - who I know personally, but he just doesn't stock this stuff).
    If a reseller doesn't stock an item please contact us - shipping{at}nodalninja{dot}com.
    As most will testify we will work with you especially under thesel circumstances.
    thx
    Bill
  12. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Hey John,

Yes, I could just scratch a mark on the plate (since the Kirk has no markings) and also on the NNQR clamp to visually align them, but I am frequently in a hurry "chasing the light" and sliding my camera up and down while trying to tighten something is exactly what I want to avoid. Plus, it is just one more thing to think about (outside of camera settings!), and my idea of a QR clamp is that it will be solid, repeatable and fast, and just "dropping it in until it hits the stop" will fit the bill.
    I understand. In my case, I have the RRS 'L' plate on my camera all the time. I would find it quite annoying to have the stop on it when I was hand holding. Plus, I am not sure how it would work with the RRS lever clamps when mounting it on just the ballhead.

John
  13. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by jrsforums View Post
    I understand. In my case, I have the RRS 'L' plate on my camera all the time. I would find it quite annoying to have the stop on it when I was hand holding. Plus, I am not sure how it would work with the RRS lever clamps when mounting it on just the ballhead.
    I have a Markins ball head with a relatively small (and screwpost-type) clamp, so the lever clearance isn't an issue for me, but I can see where they might collide. The 'L' plates typically have smaller mounting platforms to save weight, but the non-L Kirk that I have is for my battery grip and is quite long (hence the need for a stop). From what I've measured, the stop will even help my plate "centering" when mounting directly to the Markins.

Now that I can actually see Nick's version, he has an improvement on the one thing that bothers me about the RRS stop: the white plastic screw knob. Yes, the knob is plastic (I called RRS) and it's there to make it easier for people to move the stops frequently. I don't need that and it could catch on stuff when hand-holding, so Nick's version with a simple screw-head (rounded no less) actually makes more sense for a permanent addition to the plate. So I might end up buying a second set of stops from Nick...

BTW, Bill has been quite acommodating in the past regarding shipping charges for small items, but there still is the "web-store bugaboo" that the initial shipping cost (to Canada in my case) shown is much higher than, say, RRS for the same weight. Probably not an issue on a new NN5 or a kit, but there are a lot of smaller accessories and replacement parts in the store now, with new rings and rotators coming out all the time, too.
    As an "international customer" who doesn't always get it ordered (or right) the first time, I'm just sayin...
  14. Re: Arca-plate too long for NN QR-clamp. Is 2mm off-center a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Here is our version.
    $9.95 each. $14.95 a pair.
    Okay, I'll take a pair.
+ Reply to Thread