Tutorial "How to create a 3D panorama with a single camera and a fisheye lens"

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tutorial "How to create a 3D panorama with a single camera and a fisheye lens"

Share/Bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    I was wondering about the 36 pictures single row that you have taken.
    what lens are you shooting with and how did you determine the 36 pictures single row?
    What happens it you are shooting with a 24mm lens, single row wouldn't be an option then?
    Hello marquee,

I shoot with a Tokina 10-17 @ 10 > 12.4mm fisheye lens on a 5D camera to get a vertical FOV of 180 degree.
    The number of pictures (36) is based on experience and depends on the shift forwards (the more out of NPP the more images are needed) en the distance to close by objects (the closer they are the more images are needed).
    There is a basic table in the addendum of the tutorial that works fine as long as the distance to objects is not to close.

Shooting a 3D panorama with a 24mm lens, or any other lens that don't have a vertical FOV of 180 degree, is possible but you will not get a full spherical panorama with a single row of images.
    For longer lenses you have to set more forward shift of the lens and you also need more images.
    I think a good start will be correcting both the number of images and the forward shift by factor 2.

I never shoot 3D multi row panoramas, the number of images that are involved are huge and the parallax issue between the rows will be hard to tackle.
    If the reason for a longer lens is to get a higher resolution I think it is better to use a dual camera system.

BTW, my new tutorial for using the new mask option of PTGui 9 is ready, it is tested and it works great to make a 3D panorama relatively fast and easy.
    As soon as the mask issues in PTGui 9 betas are solved I will publish the tutorial.

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 08-25-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Hello marqee,

With guidance from Wim I did manage what I feel is an acceptable 3D anaglyph using a Nikon 10.5mm lens on a Nikon camera with an APS-C sensor, which does not have a 180° vertical fov so I ended up with a hole at the nadir and zenith.
    At the time I had discussions with Wim, and his comments were the same as here - i.e. a single row of horizontal images.
    I was using a NN3 II so my detent ring with the most pointings was 24 and the NPP was set about 50mm in front of the Nodal Ninja's point of rotation.
    I took the easy route with the nadir and used a "tripod cap".
    For the zenith, I made a "normal" spherical panorama at the same time then worked with the Up Cube images to blend in the roof for both the red and blue panoramas.
    The hole in the zenith was not too big, but it took me a lot of time and work to get what I felt was a reasonable result.
    With a 24mm lens you will have much larger holes at the zenith and nadir, but perhaps you could crop out the black areas and not have a full Spherical Panorama.

http://www.hugha.co.uk/StMary/3D-Panoramas/Index.htm

Wim, I look forward to having a go with your new Tutorial when it is available.
    Just a thought - Would the mask option in PTGui 9 help with a hole in the zenith or is this wishfully thinking?

Best regards, Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    ...Just a thought - Would the mask option in PTGui 9 help with a hole in the zenith or is this wishfully thinking?....
    Hello Hugh,

Yes the mask option of PTGui 9 can help a lot for patching the nadir and zenith of a 3D panorama.
    Although I will not explain in detail how this can be done it is possible to make a panorama that is flat 2D (and so better to patch) around zenith and nadir and full 3D at the horizon with a smart shaped mask .

I can see that you did a reshoot in the church and your 3D panos now looks great :-)
    Just a small remark, is there any chance that you can add a fullscreen button to the controller and/or a fullscreen option in the mouse menu ?
    I think they are worthy to show them larger.

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 08-26-2010 at 01:22 AM.

hmm! So with a 4.5mm on a crop sensor or 8mm on full sensor. Instead of 3 shots you now take shots at 10 degree intervals. With the 8mm on crop sensor I wonder how much of the image will be lost?
    Are set you at any stage taking one set of images at the NPP and a second at suggested 3 or 6cm offset?

This is getting real interesting? If I could find the diff in parallax between the 2points on the 2 sets.

I wonder what would the outcome be if you offset in X and a tiny offset in Z and then take a set for the right eye. Would love to try it out if I had the real right stuff 3D rig.

Hello marquee,

On this forum most people use their first name, can you please use yours as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    ..... With the 8mm on crop sensor I wonder how much of the image will be lost?.....
    I am not sure if I understand your correct, if you mean how much will be lost in vFOV then there is no loss.
    On a 1.6x crop size sensor the angle is close to 180 degree and on a 1.5x you get a full 180 degree (with camera in portrait mode position) and you use all of it.

If you mean the loss of unused parts of the image then the loss is large.
    Each image is used twice, once for a strip for the right eye and another strip for the left eye image.
    If the width of the strips is 10 degree (36 around) then the total width of the strips is 2*10=20 degree, the image width of a crop size sensor is approx. 120 degree so the loss will be 120-20=100 degree or 100/120*100= 83%.
    The amount of loss is irrelevant as the strips can be taken out from different positions of the image so it is not a matter of "loss" but instead of having "enough" playground to make the 3D pano.

...Are set you at any stage taking one set of images at the NPP and a second at suggested 3 or 6cm offset?...
    No, I shoot one series of round shots and I use a calibrated template from another shoot.
    Based on the table and experience I decide to set a certain forward shift, the flex is large, you can get a good 3D pano with 3 cm and a good one with 6 cm.
    The one shot with 6 cm off set will have more parallax so more depth but the one shot with 3 cm off set will also deliver enough depth to get a good 3D experience.
    I have done a lot of tests myself and the worse you can do is to put to much 3D depth in the images, when it comes to 3D often "less is better".

...I wonder what would the outcome be if you offset in X and a tiny offset in Z and then take a set for the right eye. Would love to try it out if I had the real right stuff 3D rig.
    There are many ways to get the needed parallax but when you shift the lens sideways then you have to shoot 2 rounds, one for the left and one for the right eye image and each at a different lens position, when shifting only in the forward direction just a single series of round shots is sufficient.
    Even without the "right" stuff you can make a fine 3D panorama, the vFOV will depend on your lens but the extra dimension, the depth, will add a lot to the viewing experience.

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 08-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Hello Wim,

Thank you for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    Just a small remark, is there any chance that you can add a fullscreen button to the controller and/or a fullscreen option in the mouse menu ?
    I think they are worthy to show them larger.
    I have tried adding the Full Screen option in Pano2VR, but so far have not been able to get it to work.
    All the other buttons do what they are supposed to, but the Full Screen option seems to have no action.
    I have been to Garden Gnome help, but this does not shed any light for me.
    As with the Anaglyph 3D Panorama, I'll keep experimenting, but it may be some time before I get Full Screen Panoramas on my site.

Best regards, Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    ....I have tried adding the Full Screen option in Pano2VR, but so far have not been able to get it to work.....
    Hello Hugh,

What a pity that you got stuck to get the fullscreen button working.
    Besides the button in the controller you also need to put some extra code in the HTML file so perhaps that went wrong.
    Anyway, the mouse option to go full screen is easy to add with the option "Add fulscreen item" in the Advanced Settings tab of Pano2VR, I am sure that will work as a temporary workaround.

Wim

EDIT:
    The fullscreen mouse option don't work when the pano is embedded in a html file :-(
    I tested Pano2VR 3beta with the "normal" template and the skin "controller_new.ggsk" and the full screen button worked fine without changing or adding html code.
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 08-27-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    Besides the button in the controller you also need to put some extra code in the HTML file so perhaps that went wrong.
    Hello Wim,

Thank you very much for your help and advice.
    I now know what I need to do and will go through my panoramas and add the Full Screen button and html code.

Best regards, Hugh.

The 3D Anaglyph Panoramas of St Mary's Church now have the Full Screen capability thanks to Wim's help, and I do think that it improves them.

Thanks Wim, Hugh.

Hi there,

I know I'm digging a really old post, but I have a question and not yet found the answer.
    Right know, I don't have anymore my D700 and not yet my D610. So I don't have a FX DSLR.
    I still have my D90 and my Tokina 10-17.

On a DX, this lens has a 144° VFOV but with 6 shoots, I'm able to make a 360° X 144°

Is it possible to make a 3D Stereographic Circular Pano with this field of view ? Or should I absolutely wait to have a FX model to permit me to shoot at 360° X 180° ?

I really want to try 3D, I specially bought a Samsung 3D TV and order an Oculus Rift DK2 (will be delivered in september)

Kind regards
    Cedric

Hello Pauline,

I see no reason why you should not be able to make 3D panoramas with your D90 and lens at 10mm.

Follow Wim's instructions at the start of this thread - bottom of Page 2 if your threads are arranged with the latest first.
    Have a go and see what the result is.

The secret of the technique is to introduce parallax by moving the lens away from the NPP and taking as many shots round as possible.

Good luck, Hugh.
+ Reply to Thread