Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

Share/Bookmark
  1. Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

Hello
    I just received my new Tokina AT-X 10-17mm Fisheye for my Canon EOS 40D. In the camera list I saw the upper rail setting is 98mm (lens set at 10mm). It seems like I have parallax here. Could it be eventually another setting? Is there anybody out there how could give me the correct setting please?

I am using the Nodal Ninja 5L

Also: what is the best aperture setting? I tried now f11, f8 and next would be f7.1 - but maybe I first have to resolve the before mentioned setting.

Thanks
    Kai
  2. Re: Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

Try an upper rail setting of 92mm. Better still, determine it youself - http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm. The f/no setting is going to affect the image sharpness and depth of field. Compare the images you have taken in an image editor such as Photoshop and decide which you like the best.

John
  3. Re: Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

Thanks John

I'll try it. Up to now I tried 93mm-101mm whereby my impression is that the94mm was the best until now.

Regards
    Kai
  4. Re: Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

After tryingI ended up with "my" best setting at 93mm.
  5. Re: Please confirm Tokina Settings for Canon 40D

Hello kaidot,

The proper setting of the camera on the upperarm depends on the number of shots around, the setting of 98mm is only usefull when taking 3 shots@10mm on a full frame sensor camera.
    I think you will shoot 6 around and then the optimum NPP setting differs 4mm from the setting for 6 around (lens moved forwards) so then you end up with 98- 4 = 94mm.

Due to tolerances in mounting the camera a maximum difference of 1 mm is fine so in your case the 93mm you found could be very well accurate.
    In case you get errors later then use 94mm, but only if you get errors, otherwise stick to your own setting.

Success,
    Wim

Quote Originally Posted by kaidot View Post
    After tryingI ended up with "my" best setting at 93mm.
+ Reply to Thread