DSLR quick release for NN3

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DSLR quick release for NN3

Share/Bookmark
  1. DSLR quick release for NN3

Sorry guys, I know there have been a few posts with questions about quick releases on the NN3 but I could not find an answer to my question:

Is there a quick release available in the Fanotec store which is suitable for a K10D on a NN3?

I see that there are some quick releases in the store but they don't seem to be recommended for the NN3.

Maybe it might be worthwile to consider designing a mounting plate that can be directly mounted onto the upper rail without requiring a clamping plate, e.g. a small lever in the base plate that locks the camera in v-grooves on the upper rail. This is just an idea and would obviously require a different profile for the upper rail, but it would be advantageous for users who use different frequently different upper rail settings.
  2. Re: DSLR quick release for NN3

I'm using the QRC-2 clamp with Manfrotto RC-2 plates together with NN3MkII and Pentax K20D.
  3. Re: DSLR quick release for NN3

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you leave the QRC-2 mounted when storing the NN3 in its case?

I thought the QRC-2 with the QRP-2 might do the job but had some concerns how secure this setup is. I also thought I had seen somewhere information that the quick release plates are not recommended for NN3.
  4. Re: DSLR quick release for NN3

Unfortunately, the QRC-2 does not fit the NN3 case when mounted.

Quick releases plates are not recommended for NN3 because the lower assembly is sometimes too short to support the thickness they add, which is reflected in the setting on the rail.

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  5. Re: DSLR quick release for NN3

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mauro Contrafatto View Post

Quick releases plates are not recommended for NN3 because the lower assembly is sometimes too short to support the thickness they add, which is reflected in the setting on the rail.
    Well, I managed to fit Arca style quick release plate on a 30D/Sigma 8/3.5 setup and able to do an upright zenith shot

Just one small addition then I will have a reproducible position
  6. Re: DSLR quick release for NN3

Users Country Flag

Every thing people have said is no doubt true.

I use a NN3 mk2 with a manfrotto quick release and Canon 40D with 17 55 f2.8 lens.
    However I have made my own special mount to fit the Manfrotto QR.
    Even then I only have 2mm movement in reserve when finding the entrance pupil.

True it is not possible to take a vertical shot with many combinations of camera and lens. However a truly vertical shot is almost never needed.

To use a QR on a NN3 with a Dslr can be taking things to the extreme, and in many cases will not work.

It is far safer to use a NN5 series bracket, which always works, is future proof and is far sturdier.
    However there are always some folk, like me, who like a challenge and find a solution, to their own particular needs.
+ Reply to Thread