Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

The sharp edges and spacing between the tilt axis and the upper rail are just right to somehow pinch my finger tips when I'm tightening it after adjusting the tilt. I have new and old blood blisters on my finger tips. It's happened more than once.

May I suggest humanizing all your knobs. More rounder. More spacing between knob and rail which can be achieved by rounding up from the bottom.

Also, the knob for the camera plate and/or T-adapters could be smaller and a simple knurled texture on the edge would do. The current modified cross shape is just big enough to prevent moving my camera forward enough to get two of my wide angle adapters to the nodal point. Yes I can turn the T-adapter around but then I can't move my fisheye far enough back.

Life is hard -- then you die...

2. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

hmm - you're the first customer to mention this. I've never had this happen to me in using any NN. But that's not to say there isn't room for improvement. I believe Nick is working on slightly different knob designs (but for other reasons).
    Any feedback is good feedback and I'll make sure Nick is aware of your concerns.
    thx
    Bill
  3. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    The sharp edges and spacing between the tilt axis and the upper rail are just right to somehow pinch my finger tips when I'm tightening it after adjusting the tilt. I have new and old blood blisters on my finger tips. It's happened more than once.

May I suggest humanizing all your knobs. More rounder. More spacing between knob and rail which can be achieved by rounding up from the bottom.

Also, the knob for the camera plate and/or T-adapters could be smaller and a simple knurled texture on the edge would do. The current modified cross shape is just big enough to prevent moving my camera forward enough to get two of my wide angle adapters to the nodal point. Yes I can turn the T-adapter around but then I can't move my fisheye far enough back.

Life is hard -- then you die...

Hi DemonDuck,

Sorry to hear your problem. Yes, I can round the edge of the knob a bit. You can place one more washer to increase the gap between the knob and upper rail.
    Yes, I will make a small knob for use with the T-adapter.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

No one can deny Nick lives to his companies motto - "we listen we try harder"
  5. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

Really? Nobody else has ever pinched their finger tip twisting the tilt knob?

I'm one lucky fellow...

I am going to bevel the edges of the tilt knob with a file. That should solve my problem. And I saw a small knob in the hardware store for the T-adapter. Might work. Will check it out.
  6. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Really? Nobody else has ever pinched their finger tip twisting the tilt knob?

I'm one lucky fellow...

I am going to bevel the edges of the tilt knob with a file. That should solve my problem. And I saw a small knob in the hardware store for the T-adapter. Might work. Will check it out.
    I was waiting to see if any one else replied as this has never happened to me. I have been using NN's since the early versions. I have had a fiddle with mine to try to trap my fingers but with out success. They just get pushed away, not pinched. Perhaps it is about the size of peoples fingers. My hands and fingers are quite large, may be I am just lucky...
    I am sure Nick will get to the bottom of it. Mind you I am also a coward and if it pinched me I would quickly back off.
  7. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

Users Country Flag

I am lucky,

till now all my finger tips are nice and OK, though i use the ninja a lot. But i try to avoid my fingers getting into "spaces" cause i need them for my work. So it never happened to me.

You are right Bill, and i think your customers are very happy that you listen and try harder. Once again thanks for this.

But when we are discussing knobs, because of the diameter of the knob the CP1 has to stop round about 40 or 39 mm on the ruler of the upper rail. I do not know wether there are lenses which need an upper rail setting lower than 37, but i just could reach 37 for the nikkor 50mm/f1.4. If i had to go further, it might be necessary to have a screw with a long shaft to bring out the knob beyond the rotation section of the upper rail. It works for 37, but you loose the rest of the rail cause the diameter of this nice knob.

By the way, Demon, do not use the manfrotto panohead, this one is sharp with edges etc. i know this from personal experience.

So long

Heinz
  8. Re: Knob on NN3 tilt axis bites my fingers -- A LOT!

My first NN3mk II had razor-sharp edges on the knobs. I promptly uses a rat-tail file to remove all the offending sharps.

My second NN3Mk II (which I won in the contest) had nicely smoothed knobs. A welcome change.

Both are Cadillac products.

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
+ Reply to Thread