1. How to shoot...

Hello,

I am starting with spherical panorama's, i am using the following ;

nikon d200
    tokina 12-24
    Nodal ninja mk3 + rd8 rotator.
    tripod.

I have some questions,,,,

1. Must i use the AF mode, or do manual focus ?
    2. if i use manual focus, where to focus ? (close or far away)
    3. What diafragma to use ?
    4. sometimes I see examples of a spherical panorma, with people on it ! How do they do that ? (or do i just need a more fisheye lens ?)

I saw a sigma 4.5 mm for sale, is this a good lens for making spherical panorama's ?

2. Re: How to shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by klaas123 View Post
    1. Must i use the AF mode, or do manual focus ?
    You should use manual focus - the same setting for all the shots.

2. if i use manual focus, where to focus ? (close or far away)
    Set the focus at the hyperfocal distance. (See: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...perfocal2.html).

3. What diafragma to use ?
    f/8 is usually a good aperture to use. Smaller apertures (bigger numbers) give greater depth of field but less sharpness, owing to diffraction effects.

4. sometimes I see examples of a spherical panorma, with people on it ! How do they do that ? (or do i just need a more fisheye lens ?)
    A wider angle lens helps, but you can also take more shots and make fine adjustments to the seam lines in the panorama by editing a layered file (.psd format) in Photoshop.

I saw a sigma 4.5 mm for sale, is this a good lens for making spherical panorama's ?
    You will need to take only 3 shots around but will waste a large proportion of the camera's pixels as you will have a complete image circle surrounded by an expanse of black space. This limits the resolution of the final panorama.

John