What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Share/Bookmark
  1. What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

I would like to get a fisheye lens for my Nikon D40 to create 360x360 virtual tours. I currently use stitcher unlimited and the NN5.
    I've been looking at a variety of fisheyes but not sure which one would work the best. Here are some of what I've been looking at...

Sigma 4.5mm
    Sigma 8mm
    Tokina 10-17mm
    Nikon 10.5mm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good fisheye lens?

Thanks
  2. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Hi area51,

if you want speed when making panos, go for sigma 4,5mm (only need 2 shots at the extreme, 3 shots recommended)

if you plan to upgrade to nikon fullframe body, go for nikon 10,5mm or sigma 8mm

if budget is a concern, go for tokina 10-17mm

=RIEFA=

Cheers,
    Riefa Istamar
    www.idVR360.com
  3. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Thanks for the info Riefa. With the sigma 4.5mm where would I position the camera for the 3rd shot? I do have software that can stitch 2 fisheyes though so that would be ideal if I can get good results.

4. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Quote Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
    Thanks for the info Riefa. With the sigma 4.5mm where would I position the camera for the 3rd shot?
    You take three shots using three detents, i.e. at 120 degree intervals. Using only two shots will give you very little image overlap. You cannot take them with the camera mounted on the upper rail of the NN5 as the head will intrude on the right hand side of the image, so you won't have a full 180 degree view horizontally. You can mount the camera on the lower rail, but the head intrudes at the base of the image too much unless you add something to raise the camera up a bit. 3 shots around is much more practical, but the resolution of the filnal panorama will be less that you would get with the other fisheyes since you waste so many pixels outside the image circle.

John
  5. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Thanks for the info John. What fisheye would you suggest?
  6. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    3 shots around is much more practical, but the resolution of the filnal panorama will be less that you would get with the other fisheyes since you waste so many pixels outside the image circle.

John
    To get the highest resolution with relatively fewer shots, and your camera have a 1.5 crop sensor.....

..then i think Sigma 8mm f/3.5 is the best options for this (you only need 4 shots using 90 degree detents interval, 1 Z + 1 N, total of 6 shots)

..second to that is the Nikon 10,5mm or Tokina 10-17mm (@ 1mm, you need 6 shots using 60 degree detents interval, 1 Z + 1 N, total of 8 shots).

Riefa

Cheers,
    Riefa Istamar
    www.idVR360.com
  7. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

With the Sigma 8mm would I use the lower raill as well?
  8. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

With the Sigma 8mm would I use the lower raill as well?
    I don't have experience with the particular lens yet...but assuming you'll be using 1,5 crop sensor, you have to use the upper rail for your camera + sigma 8mm combination.

Riefa

Cheers,
    Riefa Istamar
    www.idVR360.com
  9. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Users Country Flag

I would like to get a fisheye lens for my Nikon D40 to create 360x360 virtual tours. I currently use stitcher unlimited and the NN5.
    I've been looking at a variety of fisheyes but not sure which one would work the best. Here are some of what I've been looking at...

Sigma 4.5mm
    Sigma 8mm
    Tokina 10-17mm
    Nikon 10.5mm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good fisheye lens?

Thanks
    Go for sigma 8mm. You still need 3 shots for sigma 4.5mm using NN5. Upper rotator blocks some of the view of the lens. 2 shot is only possible for NN180, R1 and R10.
    However Nikon 10.5mm and Tokina 10-17mm are also popular. Tokina is much cheaper.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  10. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a friend that is going to let me borrow his Sigma 4.5mm so I'm going to try that out and then maybe I'll rent a Sigma 8mm and compare the two. It sounds like maybe I should get a NN180 if I go with one of these fisheye lenses. For now though, from what I understand, I will need to mount the Sigma 4.5mm on the lower rail, but figure out a way to raise it a bit?

11. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

You certainly won't need a NN180 for the 8mm fisheye. You can download some sets of images shot in the same location here: http://www.360precision.com/360/inde...amlensinfolist. No 8mm as yet, but you can try some stitches of Sigma 4.5mm, Sigma 10mm and Nikkor 10.5mm images. They were taken with a D300 and so are bigger than the ones from your camera. You can resize them down to the D40 size to get a better idea of the size of panorama you can stitch from them. It would be a 3600x1800 equirectangular maximum for the 4.5mm lens, which isn't enough for a full screen display. But if you only want a small window for your spherical viewer, then that won't be a problem.

John
  12. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Users Country Flag

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a friend that is going to let me borrow his Sigma 4.5mm so I'm going to try that out and then maybe I'll rent a Sigma 8mm and compare the two. It sounds like maybe I should get a NN180 if I go with one of these fisheye lenses. For now though, from what I understand, I will need to mount the Sigma 4.5mm on the lower rail, but figure out a way to raise it a bit?

You can mount sigma 4.5mm on NN3/5 lower rail. But the nadir footprint will be huge!

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  13. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

Thanks John, those samples were very helpful.

It sounds like the Sigma 8mm will give me more pixels vs the Sigma 4mm which would result in a higher res pano. Correct?
    Do you know where I can see a sample of what the Sigma 8mm takes? Something I could try stitching with my software?

14. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

There's a set of 8mm images available at http://www.johnhpanos.com/sigma8.zip. They are from a Canon 20D and intended to be used with a PTGui for Beginners tutorial (also on my web site), but of course you can use them with Stitcher.

John
  15. Re: What is a good fisheye lens to use with the D40 and NN5?

I have a sigma 4.5mm for a week with my D40 and then I'll try out a sigma 8mm the following week. I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my camera to the NN5. Should I use the upper or lower rail? Portrait or Landscape mode? I can't seem to find any info in the database with this lens.
+ Reply to Thread