confused about correct use of NN5

Thread: confused about correct use of NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. confused about correct use of NN5

I must confess to perhaps having more money than sense and I bought myself a NN5/RD16 without properly understanding it's benefits. I assumed that by setting the camera at the Nodal Point I would be able to take a row of vertical or horizontal shots then put them through Photoshop's CS4 (or other software) and out would pop a nice panorama with nothing missing.
    Instead I'm getting a big gap between the middle image and the one's to either side. To be honest I've had better results hand holding the camera.

I set up the 5DMkII with 24-105L lens as specified for 24mm on the NN web page.

Am I just being totally stupid and should I just be doing a row of say nine photo's instead of three to make sure everything is included?

Many thanks. :blushing:
  2. Re: confused about correct use of NN5

Users Country Flag

you need to have some idea of overlap.

http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=240.0

From the table for full frame sensor,
    http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...60734/original
    at 24mm, you should shoot at 36 deg interval, ie 10 shots around. This is for number of shots per row.
    You need many rows to complete a 360x180 deg spherical pano. To determine the vertical shooting interval, just divide the focal length by 1.5 (3:2 aspect ratio). That is 24/1.5=16mm. Look at the shooting interval for 16mm, the best choice is 45 deg interval, ie 8 shots around. Place first shot at the zenith and calculate for the other angles., So you shoot at 90 deg,45 deg, 0 deg,-45deg abd -90 deg to complete a column. We call the vertical angle pitch, horizontal angle yaw.

To conclude. you need to shoot 10 shots around at 45 deg pitch, 10 shots around at 0 deg pitch, 10 shots around at -45 deg pitch, followed by a zenith (90 deg) and a nadir (-90 deg) shot.
    To reduce the number of shot, you need to use wide lens or fisheye lens. The 15/16mm fisheye lens only require 8 shots to complete a spherical pano.

Other than PS CS, you may want to try PTGUI for stitching.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: confused about correct use of NN5

Thanks Nick,

That makes sense, however, I've no intention of taking spherical photo's I just want to take landscape panoramas. I'm in Zion National Park right now so the perfect place to practise.

I don't know if you read this post again but why do you recommend PTGUI, whey is it better than CS4?

Thanks again

4. Re: confused about correct use of NN5

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sanfairyanne View Post
    Thanks Nick,

That makes sense, however, I've no intention of taking spherical photo's I just want to take landscape panoramas. I'm in Zion National Park right now so the perfect place to practise.

I don't know if you read this post again but why do you recommend PTGUI, whey is it better than CS4?

Thanks again
    The same settings apply for lanscape panos. shoot at 36 deg interval horizontally for as wide as you need. Shoot multi-columns at 45 deg interval for as tall as you need.
    I am not sure about CS4. Ptgui, PTassembler and Autopano Pro are the most popular stitchers. You can download a trial for them.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.