LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Share/Bookmark
  1. LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

What thread size is the stud and what thread size is the hole on each of these extension columns? How long are they and what do they weigh?

Would these be similar to the extension columns we talked about on Panoguide last week?

2. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    What thread size is the stud and what thread size is the hole on each of these extension columns? How long are they and what do they weigh?
    Would these be similar to the extension columns we talked about on Panoguide last week?
    These parts are exclusively for the workflow of users of the laser scanners produced by Leica Geosystems. We only have a small amount made here in the US and we need to reserve these for our Leica GS customers only - sorry.
  3. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

I suspect that, because there would be few people interested in an extension like we talked about, Nodal Ninja will not be making such an item.
  4. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

I suspect that, because there would be few people interested in an extension like we talked about, Nodal Ninja will not be making such an item.
    Ah - but this isn't to say Nick can't come with something. Feedback from users with needs like this is what drives the company forward.
    btw the thread size on these adapters are 5/8 on one side and 3/8 on the other.
    thx
    Bill
  5. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Users Country Flag

This is relatively simple to make. I will make it when I get one of my hands free.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Ah - but this isn't to say Nick can't come with something. Feedback from users with needs like this is what drives the company forward.
    btw the thread size on these adapters are 5/8 on one side and 3/8 on the other.
    thx
    Bill
    Ah -- that would be the wrong combo for NNx to ballhead mating.

For my purpose -- and I suspect others -- the stud should be standard 1/4x20(is that the thread size of the hole in the camera?) or maybe 3/8 to fit into the larger socket on the bottom of the NNx.

And the female socket thread size should be standard 3/8 to fit onto a tripod or ballhead stud. The purpose is to gain some distance between the top of the ballhead and the bottom of the NNx so that when it is tilted 90 degrees for the nadir shot, the distance between the tripod and the nodal or entry point of the lens is increased.

With no extension, the distance between the top of the tripod and the nodal point is about 8 inches when the ball head is tilted 90 degrees. With a 6 or 8 inch extension, the total distance could be upto 16 inches giving a nadir shot clear of any tripod artifacts. One down shot would be sufficient to patch the nadir. And it is real easy to do. Just the way I like things -- easy.

Here is a work in progress shot with the above technique -- BTW it was shot with one of the IPIX fisheye converter lenses you are selling.

http://pancyl.com/TwinLakesRain.htm

It did require some small amount of post processing to get rid of a few traces of tripod. With a 6 or 8 inch extension, one could get a really clean nadir shot.

But if and when you make it, remember, the stud and socket ends will have several foot pounds of torque on them trying to support the weight of the camera and lens and NNx at the horizontal. So make them stout....

DD
  7. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

...or maybe it 5/16's female socket / tripod stud? I dunno -- it's bigger...
  8. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Sorry to beat this to death. Sometimes I just can't stop.

The ultimate solution would be a long neck ball head. I have a Manfrotto 484. The neck is about an inch long. If it was 8 inches long -- problem solved.

A long neck ball head would facilitate leveling and nadir/zenith shots with the fisheye specific heads by being able to point straight down and straight up. No need for an extra piece of equipment -- the extension column. I know about the pistol grip heads and they are too clumsy and heavy and it's not clear that they can be securely locked in place.

But a long neck ball head is probably beyond the manufacturing capability of Nodal Ninja...
  9. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Users Country Flag

Sorry to beat this to death. Sometimes I just can't stop.

The ultimate solution would be a long neck ball head. I have a Manfrotto 484. The neck is about an inch long. If it was 8 inches long -- problem solved.

A long neck ball head would facilitate leveling and nadir/zenith shots with the fisheye specific heads by being able to point straight down and straight up. No need for an extra piece of equipment -- the extension column. I know about the pistol grip heads and they are too clumsy and heavy and it's not clear that they can be securely locked in place.

But a long neck ball head is probably beyond the manufacturing capability of Nodal Ninja...
    The ballheads are designed for 99.9% of users who don't make spherical panos. Don't expect the manufacturers to make compromise of usability for the 0.1% users.
    It seems that you only need to elevate the center column to get the same effect.

nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The ballheads are designed for 99.9% of users who don't make spherical panos. Don't expect the manufacturers to make compromise of usability for the 0.1% users.
    It seems that you only need to elevate the center column to get the same effect.

nick
    I guess I haven't explained myself properly. The longer neck would give a longer distance from the center of the tripod when the NNx is horizontal. The purpose is to flop the head and the NNx over to the horizontal to give a clean shot at the nadir. The tripod is moved the corresponding distance back from where it was for the rest of the pano and raised so as to keep the nodal/entry point at about the same place in 3space.

Look at this thread most of the way to the bottom where EmEss has some pictures of the extension column he made.

http://www.panorama-community.net/wb...6764#post26764

See how the camera is flopped over to the horizontal? That gives a tripod free nadir.

11. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Users Country Flag

I guess I haven't explained myself properly. The longer neck would give a longer distance from the center of the tripod when the NNx is horizontal. The purpose is to flop the head and the NNx over to the horizontal to give a clean shot at the nadir. The tripod is moved the corresponding distance back from where it was for the rest of the pano and raised so as to keep the nodal/entry point at about the same place in 3space.

Look at this thread most of the way to the bottom where EmEss has some pictures of the extension column he made.

http://www.panorama-community.net/wb...6764#post26764

See how the camera is flopped over to the horizontal? That gives a tripod free nadir.

This would require a ballhead with several times of max loading. The extension neck will give several or tens of times torque on the ball clamping mechanism.
    My point is this will be a special ball head for pano makers.

Nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

This would require a ballhead with several times of max loading. The extension neck will give several or tens of times torque on the ball clamping mechanism.
    My point is this will be a special ball head for pano makers.
    Nick
    Yup! Could you guys make such a ball head? It would probably cost a lot -- yes? But it could be an accessory for every fisheye specific pan head you make...
  13. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Users Country Flag

Yup! Could you guys make such a ball head? It would probably cost a lot -- yes? But it could be an accessory for every fisheye specific pan head you make...
    Probably, it can be a good accessory for R10. How much are you willing to pay for it?

Nick

Fanotec
  14. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Probably, it can be a good accessory for R10. How much are you willing to pay for it?

Nick
    Not much. Agnos makes an extension for my existing ball head that would work for 45 euros -- I thought that was a lot. I can make an extension for $10 from pieces at my hardware store.

Hard to say what I'd pay for something that doesn't exist yet. Depends on how close your final design met my needs -- which are very simple. If your product development strategy depended on what I'd pay for something -- then you'd be out of business

I'm just giving you my fabulous ideas for good will because I like you guys.

DD
  15. Re: LN3-HDS6000 and LN3-SCA ScanStation Camera Adapters

Manfroto makes also a nice extension column (ref Manfrotto 259) : see link
+ Reply to Thread