A few questions about NN5

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few questions about NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. A few questions about NN5

I am looking to get into pano captures and having tried with mixed results at hand held i figure there's only 1 route .....a dedicated head. I know basically what i need just some advice..

My set-up will be predominantly D300 + 10.5mm FE (for spherical), but i know in some instances i will want to use my 14-24mm (not sphericals). This 2nd part rules out the NN3 (according to the specs). Just wondered has anyone had reliable results using the NN3 with the 14-24mm...is it a case it's just too big and heavy to be stable? OR it just doesn't fit? If the latter has anyone used a spacer to get the fit? (i read this for some other lenses that normally didn't fit the NN3)

What rotator do i need? my eyes glaze over as i have no idea the FOV of these 2 lenses. I read that the 10.5 needs 6 shots +z+n...so the RD 8 but would this work for the 14-24mm at 24mm. It would be nice if there was some sort of schematic to quickly reference the lens to rotator pairs (sorry if there is and i missed it).

Lastly, I live in HK and there is no distributor for NN in HK...surprising considering the company is based here. I don't have a credit card so haven't figured out yet what i'm going to do but to ship from Singapore seems a waste considering I'm in HK.......
  2. Re: A few questions about NN5

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Osborne View Post
    My set-up will be predominantly D300 + 10.5mm FE (for spherical), but i know in some instances i will want to use my 14-24mm (not sphericals). This 2nd part rules out the NN3 (according to the specs). Just wondered has anyone had reliable results using the NN3 with the 14-24mm...is it a case it's just too big and heavy to be stable? OR it just doesn't fit? If the latter has anyone used a spacer to get the fit? (i read this for some other lenses that normally didn't fit the NN3)
    Get the NN5/5L if you want to use the 14-24mm. You want to get the best out of your expensive lens.
    Here is a guide for choosing detent interval
    http://www.pbase.com/digital_initiat...60730/original
    Rotator D8 will fit your need. It has interval in degrees = 120, 90, 60, 45, 36, 30, 24, 20.
    The default NN5/5L rotator will also have the right detent ring for your lens.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread