NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

hello friends..i just got my NN3 and I am very happy to have it...I didnt expected my D300 with tokina will be so heavy for it but...let's just shoot panoramas...i have one ..in fact two questions....so thanks for helping me:

It looks like I found nodal point for tokina at 12mm wit the d300 moved all the way to the end of rail---back....I was using my monopod and vertical line from the wall in the room....is that correct..does anyone agree with me...or maybe I am wrong.......does anyone have some table or can tell me exact locaition of nodal point in cm at the NN rulers?

and...I dont know which ring..with how many wholes to use with tokina at 12mm and how many pictures and rows to shoot in order to make 380 x 180 degree panoramas.....

thanks a lot for giving me advice and help...i just can not waith to start shooting...

PS.. i tryed to use only 6 photos at 0 just to make 360 degree panorama and the overlaping was very bad using Autodesk photo steacher?

thanks again, arvin
  2. Re: NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

Quote Originally Posted by arvinkg View Post
    hello friends..i just got my NN3 and I am very happy to have it
    Nice you enjoy it

It looks like I found nodal point for tokina at 12mm wit the d300 moved all the way to the end of rail---back....I was using my monopod and vertical line from the wall in the room....is that correct..does anyone agree with me...or maybe I am wrong.......does anyone have some table or can tell me exact locaition of nodal point in cm at the NN rulers?
    Personnaly, I always advice people to find themselves the nodal point as it's the best way to get the most accurate settings, and it's not really complicated if you follow explanations of Bill in manual of NN3

and...I dont know which ring..with how many wholes to use with tokina at 12mm and how many pictures and rows to shoot in order to make 380 x 180 degree panoramas.....
    For that, best way is to use live view if you have it on your camera. Then setup zoom at value you want, then look at live view, rotate head till picture has moved to get only 30% common with first view at start, and then check on rotator how much degrees you did, and then you know how much stops you have to do to get the whole 360¬?

Hope it helps..

Vinc?®n

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
  3. Re: NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

Users Country Flag

you can get recommended settings for popular lens here
    www.vrwave.com
    you don't need to get setting for exactly same lens. Just find the same focal length and crop factor for the sensor. So you can use the settings for Nikon 12-24mm at 12mm,
    Min. shots (1.5x): N, 8 images every 45¬? at -30¬? pitch, 8 images every 45¬? at +30¬?, Z
    where z is zenith (top shot) and N is nadir(down shot).

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

thanx friends..Nick...only one more questions....I saw the advice that with 12mm and 1.5 crop factor I have to shoot Nadir, 8 images at -30 degree, every 45degree each, then at 0 degree again 8 pictures every 45 degree too and finaly at +30 degree 8 pictures more at 45 degree evert picture, and of course zenit? it this the way I should do?

thanks a lot.
    Arvin
  5. Re: NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

thanx friends..Nick...only one more questions....I saw the advice that with 12mm and 1.5 crop factor I have to shoot Nadir, 8 images at -30 degree, every 45degree each, then at 0 degree again 8 pictures every 45 degree too and finaly at +30 degree 8 pictures more at 45 degree evert picture, and of course zenit? it this the way I should do?

thanks a lot.
    Arvin
    PS...when I shoot picture at -30 degree..I always have or legs from the tripod od handles from the head on the tripod....how to avoid that?
  6. Re: NN3MKII + Nikon D300+Tokina 12-24 how many rows to make...

As Nick said, Minimum shots (1.5x) is N, 8 images every 45¬? at -30¬? pitch, 8 images every 45¬? at +30¬?, Z. That gives 33% overlap between the two rows, which is adequate. It does mean that there are rather a lot of joins and also edges of the image frames (poorer quality?) at the horizontal level, which tends to be the main focus of interest. To overcome any such problems, some people prefer to have a central horizontal row to give maximum quality where it matters, with rows above and below. Do some tests to see what works for you.

It's not surprising the tripod legs intrude into the view. They are a legitimate part of the 360x180 view from the camera position. You can pull the legs in a little, which will help, but a nadir shot taken with the tripod out of the way will cover the tripod area anyway when patched into the panorama (or stitched in with the Viewpoint feature in PTGui Pro).

John
+ Reply to Thread