One little improvement for all NN heads...

Thread: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Share/Bookmark
  1. One little improvement for all NN heads...

A rotating 45 degree prism on top of your bubble level so you can see it when the head is at eye level. Rotating so you can rotate it so if you are standing behind or to the side or to the front when you level the head, you can see it.

Right now, the only way I can level the head is to have the head at least 6 inches below eye level and even with strong glasses, it's hard for these old eyes to see the little bubble in the little circle -- it looks like there's a bunch of both of them.

And if the head is 6 inches (or more) below my eye level, then the viewpoint of the pano can look weird -- which is, in a sense, appropriate considering who the photographer is.
  2. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    A rotating 45 degree prism on top of your bubble level so you can see it when the head is at eye level. Rotating so you can rotate it so if you are standing behind or to the side or to the front when you level the head, you can see it.

Right now, the only way I can level the head is to have the head at least 6 inches below eye level and even with strong glasses, it's hard for these old eyes to see the little bubble in the little circle -- it looks like there's a bunch of both of them.

And if the head is 6 inches (or more) below my eye level, then the viewpoint of the pano can look weird -- which is, in a sense, appropriate considering who the photographer is.
    Sounds like a good idea. How about a removable addon prism/mirror?

Nick

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Yes, I was thinking a mirror or prism raised up a little from a square piece of plastic -- like a rail stop -- that fits into the lower rail over the bubble. That would be the base. Then you could put the rotating mirror or prism on that. Or maybe a clip or cap thing that fits over the end of the lower rail. Friction fit would probably be sufficient.

Looking at my NN3, there isn't a lot of room. Maybe take the tension knob off to install.
  4. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

...or maybe just a little plastic rod with a hole in the bottom that fits around and over the level and then the top of the rod is cut and polished at a 45 degree angle. Then the photographer could press it down over the bubble, oriented the way he wants -- front, side back
  5. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Users Country Flag

Hi guys,

you are right with this problem. Till we have something produced by nick, you can use a dental mirror to see the bubble as i do. There are there in different sizes and even with 2x magnification. When you rest the middle finger on the rail, hold the mirror handle between thumb and second one you can easily watch the bubble .

Heinz
  6. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Is it not possible to simply add an inverted bubble level to the underside ? By inverted I mean a level that can be viewed from below and background colour on the curved top which would be the surface for fixing to the underside.
  7. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

My Sinar Handy had this option in the 90's
    Great, great ,great tool !!
    I'm not sure, but I guess I mentioned this to Nick
    Frank
  8. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Users Country Flag

Do you guys prefer a circular bubble level or a twin axis bubble level?
    like this
    http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/im...nQRA-635LB.JPG

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  9. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Personal preference is for a bubble. Seems easier and more direct than two axises.
  10. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Do you guys prefer a circular bubble level or a twin axis bubble level?
    Circular.
  11. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

But thinking about trying to see the level when it's above eye level, two axis bubbles can be seen from below while a bubble level can't. That is the problem I have. I can't see the bubble level from eye level or below unless there's some sort of mirror or prism over it to let you see it if you are not looking more or less straight down on it.
  12. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

So put both of them on the head. A bubble level for when it's below eye level -- two axis bubbles when it's at or above eye level. Or have a little socket that takes takes either one and then the photographer could change them as needed. Maybe there are even other options.
  13. Re: One little improvement for all NN heads...

Users Country Flag

Joiners bubble level are designed to be seen from the side.