Suggestions to prevent camera slippage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

Share/Bookmark
  1. Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #1

    If I leave my d200 with the 18-200 compact VR lense 3.5-5.6 lens for any amount of time the unit begins to slip. If I put my hand on top while shooting that will cause the entire horizontal arm to slip.

    Also finding out that there are no registration pins on the camera plate. I guess not all cameras have them, this would really help with the slippage.
    Do you have another camera plate available for nikon?

    It seems if the NNIII can't handle this simple lense setup that I should move to the NN5?
  2. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #2

    PS I also have a realtourvision.com rotator which has no registration pins, but has a wider horizontal arm plate where the camera meets and also has more grip tape? and asa result does not have the slippage that the NNII has with the same camera and lense setup.

    Please advise.
  3. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #3
    Users Country Flag badders's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: East Kilbride, Scotland
    Posts: 349

    First of all, get a Nodal Ninja quick release unit. This stops the slippage. then get a NN5 as yes, you're pushing the limits of the NN3 with a D200 plus 18-200 zoom lens.



    Badders
  4. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #4

    Really? I just seems like poor design to me. The method in which the camera is attached to the horizontal arm is just a simple screw. Other systems that did not have a pin registration system use a two part screw system. In the picture shown the bottom screw goes into the camera and bring it close to the plate, the second larger thumb screw brings it nice and tight with a plastic type washer. It is very simple but it works.

    Do you have a part number? I just bought a offset camera template that cost about $15 then it cost about $19 to ship. (Well it didnt but that is what I was charged nice eh?)

    Thanks

    KM


    http://img.drlinky.com/images/494/DSCN3551.JPG
    http://img.drlinky.com/images/495/DSCN3552.JPG


    Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    First of all, get a Nodal Ninja quick release unit. This stops the slippage. then get a NN5 as yes, you're pushing the limits of the NN3 with a D200 plus 18-200 zoom lens.
  5. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #5

    Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    First of all, get a Nodal Ninja quick release unit. This stops the slippage. then get a NN5 as yes, you're pushing the limits of the NN3 with a D200 plus 18-200 zoom lens.
    Also if I get a quick relate plate would the same plate be included and or work with NN5?

    Thanks
    KM
  6. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #6
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,456

    Quote Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
    If I leave my d200 with the 18-200 compact VR lense 3.5-5.6 lens for any amount of time the unit begins to slip. If I put my hand on top while shooting that will cause the entire horizontal arm to slip.

    Also finding out that there are no registration pins on the camera plate. I guess not all cameras have them, this would really help with the slippage.
    Do you have another camera plate available for nikon?

    It seems if the NNIII can't handle this simple lense setup that I should move to the NN5?

    Hi kieranmullen,

    you have the old NN3? Are you using the rubber square washer?
    As a matter of fact all professional panographers use a remote cord to get best result. Even if the camera mounting plate has anti-twist pin, the upper rail may still slip. Your arm can easily apply a few kg on the camera and overload NN3!


    Nick




    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  7. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #7

    Hi,

    I have taken quite a few panos since 2003, so yet I know how valuable a remote cord is. However I prefer to use my wireless remote so I am not in any reflecting shots. However this has nothing to do with camera slippage.

    How can I tell the difference between the Old NN3 and the new NN3? I thought that was the point of having version numbers? To tell them aapart. I have A NN3II (or at least that is what it says on the top of the unit.

    I do not know anything about a "rubber square washer" however I do know I am moutning my camera to a square plate with rubber on it and a camera mount, which slides on the horizontal art and is held on by another knob on the other side of the unit.

    My problem is not so much with just the upper rail like you say. It is the upper rail AND the camera.
  8. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #8
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,456

    Quote Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
    Hi,

    I have taken quite a few panos since 2003, so yet I know how valuable a remote cord is. However I prefer to use my wireless remote so I am not in any reflecting shots. However this has nothing to do with camera slippage.

    How can I tell the difference between the Old NN3 and the new NN3? I thought that was the point of having version numbers? To tell them aapart. I have A NN3II (or at least that is what it says on the top of the unit.

    I do not know anything about a "rubber square washer" however I do know I am moutning my camera to a square plate with rubber on it and a camera mount, which slides on the horizontal art and is held on by another knob on the other side of the unit.

    My problem is not so much with just the upper rail like you say. It is the upper rail AND the camera.
    The NN3II comes with the new metal camera mounting plate which is the same for NN5. Many people use it on heavier set up without problem. As a matter of fact, the popular Manfrotto 323 QR has no anti-twist pin and no larger contact area. Try tighten the screw a bit more. You can also buy our QR system which has larger contact area.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/category_s/61.htm
    We are also developing camera mounting plate with anti-twisting feature. It is a bit complicated to make it universal for all cameras.


    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  9. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #9

    Hi, The page you sent me has several items on it. Can you just send the exact item you are mentioning?

    Again how can I tell which NN 3 version I have by looking at it?

    Thank you
    KieranMullen
  10. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #10

    This is more or less that I have. I am missing one square washer.
  11. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #11

    Although expensive, camera specific quick release plates will eliminate any slippage as they don't rely on just tightness and friction. I'm not sure that the threads in the bottoms of cameras are meant to take the kind of torque that will prevent a camera with a medium weight lens from rotating. I think Nick has his QR clamp keyed into the horizontal arm, so if a camera specific plate can be coupled with a NN clamp it would solve the problem. The only consideration is by adding for plate and clamp it may be more distance than the bottom arm on the NN3 will allow to center the camera.
  12. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #12
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,456

    Quote Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
    Hi, The page you sent me has several items on it. Can you just send the exact item you are mentioning?

    Again how can I tell which NN 3 version I have by looking at it?

    Thank you
    KieranMullen
    This is our new RQS2
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm

    NN3II has this camera mounting plate, N-CP1
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n-cp1.htm
    old NN3 use this rubber square washer
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n3-srw.htm

    Do you have the N-CP1?


    nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  13. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #13
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts: 27

    How about a 3M double sided tape between the camera and camera plate. It will just stop the tilting of the lens/camera in the same direction that will loosen the screw.

    Or swing the camera 'in reverse' with shutter button down. Worked for my 30D and 17-55 IS.
  14. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #14

    I have the N-CP1, although it seems either mine has a brass screw and yours does not or someone wetn crazy in photoshop with your white balance.

    KM

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    This is our new RQS2
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm

    NN3II has this camera mounting plate, N-CP1
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n-cp1.htm
    old NN3 use this rubber square washer
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n3-srw.htm

    Do you have the N-CP1?


    nick
  15. Re: Suggestions to prevent camera slippage

    #15

    Quick Release System per the description (not suggested for us with NN3 ...")
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrs-2.htm

    Spelling error alert fyi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •