Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Nick:

The new 10.5 ring was well worth the wait and better than what I would have cobbled up! I like the simplicity; put 10.5 on camera, camera on monopod, attach Manfrotto pole level and compass and away we go! First trial was great. Now I just need to put in nadir and zenith when I have time. The simplicity is the main thing though; I will be tempted to take more panoramas that I would not have bothered with if I needed to set up my NN3 & tripod. Thanks again!

Tim Eastman
  2. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

On the store to order a Ultimate R10, we have to enter the desired tilt-up

Have you a table given the recommended tilt-up for a particular fisheye lens on a particular sensor format ?
  3. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    I'm confused as to which model I need.

I have a Sigma 8mm fisheye and a Sigma 15mm fisheye.

I use 2 bodies: Canon 5DM2 and a Canon 40D.

On my 40D + 8mm, I shoot at 0 degrees, 6 around, then 1 zenith ~90 degrees (can be less)

On my 5DM2 + 15mm, I shoot at -10 degrees, 6 around, then 1 zenith at~90 degrees (can be less)
    or on my 5DM2 + 8mm, I shoot at 0 degrees, 3 around, plus 1 zenith if necessary (to eliminate shadowing on the stitch)

I didn't see any images on how you'd shoot a zenith (at 90 degrees or anywhere 70-90 degrees)

Can someone post some? (the object VR stuff doesn't work until 64bit windows, so I can't see those images either)

The ring holds the Sigma 8mm but will it also hold a Sigma 15mm? I'm not sure if it's a different size, looks the same to me, but that's not technical

Kirk

Hi Kirk,
    The most simple answer is use a NN3mk2 with a D8 rotator.
    (yes it can hold the 5D (mk2) perfectly)
    Or NN5.

The less simple anwer is, the R1.
    Mind you this machine is designed for one row pano's; zenith and nadir are
    off set. (extra stitch time !!!!!!)
    The R10 can't shoot nadirs and zeniths at all.

You will be helped a lot more with a lens like the Tokina 10-17mm @12. (@FF)
    With the 5D mk2 you have plenty resolution without Z/N
    A R10 is an option then again.

I have the Sig 8 and 15 and I will try if the Sig8 insert fits but I doubt.
    The beta 8mm R1 ring is on my sig8 now.
    BTW the lensring system is a 2 ring system.
    One, the mounting ring, and inserts for spec. lenses.
    Does this help ?
    grtz
    Frank

4. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
    I'm confused as to which model I need.

I have a Sigma 8mm fisheye and a Sigma 15mm fisheye.

I use 2 bodies: Canon 5DM2 and a Canon 40D.

On my 40D + 8mm, I shoot at 0 degrees, 6 around, then 1 zenith ~90 degrees (can be less)

On my 5DM2 + 15mm, I shoot at -10 degrees, 6 around, then 1 zenith at~90 degrees (can be less)
    or on my 5DM2 + 8mm, I shoot at 0 degrees, 3 around, plus 1 zenith if necessary (to eliminate shadowing on the stitch)

I didn't see any images on how you'd shoot a zenith (at 90 degrees or anywhere 70-90 degrees)

Can someone post some? (the object VR stuff doesn't work until 64bit windows, so I can't see those images either)

The ring holds the Sigma 8mm but will it also hold a Sigma 15mm? I'm not sure if it's a different size, looks the same to me, but that's not technical

Kirk
    Hi Kirk,
    you can download the QT movie and play it on QT7.6. I test it on vista 64 bit.

R1/10 is a single row pano head. For sigma 8mm on 1.6x and FF sensor, you can cover the zenith by a tilt of 5-7.5 deg. For sigma 15mm, you need -10 deg tilt. and need a zenith shot. You can do this off R1/10. On R1 you can take a zenith shot off-set from NPP. This works for outdoor pano. So it looks like you need a R1.
    Sigma 15mm has similar size from Sigma 8mm. So there is a chance it may share the same ring. I will check it out later. What I am sure is that the outer metal ring is the same. The plastic insert and lens ring plate(rail) may be different to get optimized result.

I need to clarify that R1/10 is not to replace mult-row pano head such as NN3/5. I have made a new Arca Swiss style QR clamp recently. You can mount the clamp parallel or perpendicular to the rail of NN3/5. It allows the lens ring to be mounted on NN3/5.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gibie View Post
    On the store to order a Ultimate R10, we have to enter the desired tilt-up

Have you a table given the recommended tilt-up for a particular fisheye lens on a particular sensor format ?
    Yes, we need to work this work ASAP.
    a quick guide.

1. circular fishey with 180 deg coverage or bigger, such as 4.5mm, 4.88mm or 5.6mm fisheye on 1.5-1.7x sensor, or 8mm or shaved 10mm, 10.5mm fisheye on FF sensor
    ----------------> +2.5 deg tilt on tripod/monopod, -2.5 deg tilt on high pole.

2. Cropped circular fishey with close to 180 deg coverage in long side of sensor, such as 8mm fisheye on 1.5-1.7x sensor
    ----------------> +5 to +7.5 deg tilt on tripod/monopod, -5 to -7.5 deg tilt on high pole. For 1.5x sensor, use 5 deg tilt. For 1.6/1.7x, use 7.5 deg tilt. For 1.5/1.6x sensor rolled at 60 deg, use 5 deg tilt.

3. For full frame fishey such as 10mm/10.5mm fisheye on 1.5-1.7x sensor or 15/16mm fishey on FF sensor
    ----------------> -10 deg tilt on tripod/monopod/high pole.

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Nick, thanx for the quick answser
  7. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Kirk, the Sig8 lensring fits the sig15 as well !!
  8. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

photo
  9. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Hi Nick,

"Features and Highlights" said that Ultimate R1&R10 are "Compact and light weight". What is the weight of Nodal Ninja Ultimate R10 Static Ring Mount Pano Head NO ROTATOR + Lens Ring for Sigma (Nikon Mount) 8mm f/3.5 ?

10. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Luisben View Post
    Hi Nick,

"Features and Highlights" said that Ultimate R1&R10 are "Compact and light weight". What is the weight of Nodal Ninja Ultimate R10 Static Ring Mount Pano Head NO ROTATOR + Lens Ring for Sigma (Nikon Mount) 8mm f/3.5 ?

260g

Fanotec
  11. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Sorry I have some difficulties with R1. I just wanted to give it a try so I can better understand how it works and help my customers better way.

I just took a R1, installed on it a Nikon 10.5mm fisheye mounted on my D3 (so my D3 will work in DX mode as 10.5 is not FX lens). I think everything is more or less setup but how do you setup the horizontal offset ? what is best value for that lens ? should I take shots horizontally or change tilt ?

Thanks for your infos and feedback

Vinc?®n

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
  12. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vinc?®n View Post
    Sorry I have some difficulties with R1. I just wanted to give it a try so I can better understand how it works and help my customers better way.

I just took a R1, installed on it a Nikon 10.5mm fisheye mounted on my D3 (so my D3 will work in DX mode as 10.5 is not FX lens). I think everything is more or less setup but how do you setup the horizontal offset ? what is best value for that lens ? should I take shots horizontally or change tilt ?

Thanks for your infos and feedback

Vinc?®n
    You need to calibrate the R1 for each tilt setting. Use the same method for calibrating the upper rail setting.
    You can use 0, -7.5, -10 deg tilt +zenith + nadir.

Nick

Fanotec
  13. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Just received R1/Sigma 8 f/Nikon
    Great first impressions. Nick, another great tool for panoramic photographers from you, thank you!

A couple of questions:
    1. The ring interacts with focusing ring on the lens, so when I mount ring it changes focus settings. Can it be prevented some way?
    2. Did anybody determine offset setting for Sigma 8/Nikon mount?
  14. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Offset setting for Sigma 8mm f/3.5 is:

Angle of Tilt - Sigma 8mm x 4
    +12.5 - 0.9
    +5 - 1.9
    0 - 2.6
    -2.5 - 2.85
    -7.5 - 3.6
    -10 - 3.9

Badders
  15. Re: Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 and R10 Ring Mount Pano Heads.

Thank you for offset settings table!

+ Reply to Thread