New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

Share/Bookmark
  1. New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

Hi Fanotec et al.

For a birthday present my wife purchased a Nodal Ninja 5 and RD8 rotator fro me lucky me

However I have a couple of questions.
    1) First, the paper accompanying the NN5 shows a leaver to provide 15? detents however this is not included in the NN5 I received.
    Added to this, the plastic back wrapped around the hard case zipper box had two sticker attached saying NN5L and No Rotator. Could it be that the Nodan Ninja 5 was out of stock and a NN5L was rigged with a R-D8 just forgetting the 15? handle at the upper rail?

How do I get this handle?

2) Secondly, I have a problem mounting my Canon EOS 1D Mark IIn & EF 70-200 f/2.8 on the NN5. The issue I'm facing is the fact that using Canon's collar for the 70-200 lens or the 100-400 gives me very limited adjustment span on the Nodal Ninja rails. The issue is that the collar is actually lower than the camera mount on the base of the camera house (please see attached image IMG_0549.JPG). As you can see the vertical tripod axis is, in this position, very close to the front of the lens. The no-parallax point is closer to the camera than I'm able to adjust with the current equipment.

The images IMG_0551.JPG shows that the camera mount plate is close to the 7 cm mark - thus I should have plenty of "space slide the camera closer to the tripod vertical axis. However (as illustrated in image IMG_0550.JPG) the camera house is colliding with the rail. This applies to vertical as well as horizontal configuration of the Nodal Ninja.

Ive been in contact with Fanotecs Nodal Ninja Authorized Distributor and Warranty Center in Italy. Here its suggested to purchase a 20 mm T-shaped adaptor. Only this doesnt seem to be the right solution. To me it would make much more sense to provide a 10 mm thicker camera mounting place. This would elevate the camera base to steer free of the rail, and still benefit from the fact that the mounting place is shaped to fit into the rail avoiding the plate to twist.

Is there anybody with a solid solution to this issue?

Kind regards
    vonRasmussen
    http://ww.mikki.dk/down/nn5/ IMG_0549.JPG
    http://ww.mikki.dk/down/nn5/ IMG_0550.JPG
    http://ww.mikki.dk/down/nn5/ IMG_0551.JPG

2. Re: New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

3. Re: New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vonRasmussen View Post
    Hi Fanotec et al.

For a birthday present my wife purchased a Nodal Ninja 5 and RD8 rotator fro me lucky me

However I have a couple of questions.
    1) First, the paper accompanying the NN5 shows a leaver to provide 15? detents however this is not included in the NN5 I received.
    Added to this, the plastic back wrapped around the hard case zipper box had two sticker attached saying NN5L and No Rotator. Could it be that the Nodan Ninja 5 was out of stock and a NN5L was rigged with a R-D8 just forgetting the 15? handle at the upper rail?
    just check the price. NN5 and NN5L has different prices.

How do I get this handle?
    this handle is an integrated part of NN5. You can't convert NN5L to NN5.

2) Secondly, I have a problem mounting my Canon EOS 1D Mark IIn & EF 70-200 f/2.8 on the NN5. The issue I'm facing is the fact that using Canon's collar for the 70-200 lens or the 100-400 gives me very limited adjustment span on the Nodal Ninja rails. The issue is that the collar is actually lower than the camera mount on the base of the camera house (please see attached image IMG_0549.JPG). As you can see the vertical tripod axis is, in this position, very close to the front of the lens. The no-parallax point is closer to the camera than I'm able to adjust with the current equipment.
    Is there anybody with a solid solution to this issue?
    Use a QR system. QR systems add to the height, typically by 20-22mm.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

Hi vonRasmussen,
    You may have received the wrong NN - please touch bases with me off site - bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com and we'll straighten this out for you.
    Also as Nick pointed out for your particular setup you would need more clearance and a QRS would work - unfortunately we are out of stock on all QRS but hope to have some soon. I may be able to send you an extra camera mounting plate in the interim.
    I'll wait for your email.
    thx
    Bill
  5. Re: New user of Nodal Ninja 5 - two issues...

Hi Bill and Nick.

Thanks for your prompt replies!
    Bill, I'll e-mail you right away.

Kind regards
    vonRasmussen
+ Reply to Thread