New Ninja user - did I blow it?

Thread: New Ninja user - did I blow it?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. New Ninja user - did I blow it?

Hi - I just purchased a NN3 standard kit and have been using it with my D700 and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens. I very much wanted to use my other lenses with the kit (Nikkor 17-35 mm f2.8 and 28-70 f2., but as I have been trying to calculate the entrance pupil for each lens at various focal lengths (my goal was to print a table and laminate it for use in the field), I came to the conclusion that the arm of the Ninja which the camera is mounted on is too short! I was consistently getting values above 120 mm for the 17-35mm, which of course is beyond the actual length of the arm itself. Is there a different length available for the camera mounting arm, or are there other workarounds to solve this problem? I'm getting flawless results with the 50mm prime, but the field of view is problematic. Since I do a fair amount of HDR work, it has become fairly time consuming to have to get 9 or 10 shots coverage, each bracketed at 5 to 9 different exposures. In rapidly changing light, this has become an issue. I really don't have the resources right now to invest any more $ in glass for wide angle prime lenses. Thanks!

Russ
  2. Re: New Ninja user - did I blow it?

You could use a T-Adapter to mount the camera up to 40mm further back. Even so, if the lenses are heavy, there's a risk that the upper rail might then fail to maintain its position and very slowly sink down. In which case, the best plan would be to return the head and exchange it for an NN5. However, if you are shooting landscapes, mounting the camera at precisely the no-parallax point isn't too critical if you don't have anything close to the camera. A few quick tests should establish whether you can manage with what you have now.

John
  3. Re: New Ninja user - did I blow it?

Users Country Flag

Nikkor 17-35 mm f2.8 and 28-70 f2. are too big and heavy. You need NN5/5L.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.