Total newbie needs a starting point

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Total newbie needs a starting point

Share/Bookmark
  1. Total newbie needs a starting point

Hello, This is John from Tacoma Im a teacher that loves pano pics. I currently have a Nikon D90 w/a 50mm 1.8 lens. I have the NN3 MKIII with the Rotator 8. Please point me to the best starting place!!!
  2. Re: Total newbie needs a starting point

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jnstrom View Post
    Hello, This is John from Tacoma Im a teacher that loves pano pics. I currently have a Nikon D90 w/a 50mm 1.8 lens. I have the NN3 MKIII with the Rotator 8. Please point me to the best starting place!!!
    what do you want to do? make 360x180 deg panos?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Total newbie needs a starting point

The images taken with the 50mm lens will have a field of view of about 18 x 27 degrees. The smallest rotation increment of the R-D8 is 18 degrees, so the images would not overlap in portrait orientation if taken at that detent setting. However, it would be possible to shoot a panorama without selecting any of the detent positions and just use the scale to rotate through 5 of the smallest divisions = 12.5 degrees. That would give you a nice 30% overlap. So, there's no reason why you should not go out and shoot panoramas with what you have at the moment. Start with a single row of shots and learn how to set up the camera on the pano head and stitch the images together into a cylindrical panorama. Then try two or three overlapping rows to increase the vertical coverage. This will teach you a lot about making panoramas. Then you will be in a good position to make an informed choice of an additional lens or lenses to take you in the direction you want to go.

You don't have to buy any stitching software immediately either. You may have a stitcher already (supplied with your camera or in Photoshop, say). Or you can download Microsoft ICE for free, or Autostitch - or the more difficult to use Hugin. Then there are free trials of commercial software like Autopano Pro and PTGui.

John
  4. Re: Total newbie needs a starting point

Thanks a ton. I have yet to get out and try out my ninja! It is amazing how your vision looks for pano picts as you are driving around.
+ Reply to Thread