have NN3 - looking to buy NN5 or 5 lite - advice please!

Thread: have NN3 - looking to buy NN5 or 5 lite - advice please!

Share/Bookmark
  1. have NN3 - looking to buy NN5 or 5 lite - advice please!

I shoot with Canon 5Ds (not the Mark II although hopefully in the next 6 months will upgrade) - I have the NN3 and love the product, but I am really at the weight limit which causes sinking when using in vertical format, and also can't take straight down shots as the NN3 is too small. I am looking to purchase a new Nodal Ninja and am confused as to the differences in the products.

Could anyone please advise me as to the practical difference between the NN5 Lite and the NN5. I would love to keep my cost low, but I shoot multi-row panos often for my work, and I don't want to regret that I didn't spend a bit more if it will make a big difference. I rarely shoot full 360 panos, mostly just ones rendered as "snapshot" in Stitcher. Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance
    -Kelly
    www.ksgphotography.com
  2. Re: have NN3 - looking to buy NN5 or 5 lite - advice please!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kellyg View Post
    I shoot with Canon 5Ds (not the Mark II although hopefully in the next 6 months will upgrade) - I have the NN3 and love the product, but I am really at the weight limit which causes sinking when using in vertical format, and also can't take straight down shots as the NN3 is too small. I am looking to purchase a new Nodal Ninja and am confused as to the differences in the products.

Could anyone please advise me as to the practical difference between the NN5 Lite and the NN5. I would love to keep my cost low, but I shoot multi-row panos often for my work, and I don't want to regret that I didn't spend a bit more if it will make a big difference. I rarely shoot full 360 panos, mostly just ones rendered as "snapshot" in Stitcher. Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance
    -Kelly
    www.ksgphotography.com
    NN5 has positive stop every 15 deg in the upper rotator. The stop is pretty precise. Many people use it for semi-batch stitching. They reuse a previous template followed by optimization in stitcher. This make stitching faster and simpler. The stop is a big bonus for scenes with little feature at the seams. Just input the theoretical values of yaw and pitch and optimize. Done!
    The stop also increase the max loading of the upper rail. But NN5L can hold 7.5kg without problem. This may not be a big difference for your gear. Very few pano gear weighs more than 3kg.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: have NN3 - looking to buy NN5 or 5 lite - advice please!

Thanks Nick - I appreciate the advice!