Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Hi All,
    I do real estate photography and use a clunky pano head, and would like to purchase an NN due to the fact that it seems lighter and more compact - great for travel. The following is my wish list and then below that is my current equipment. I am open for suggestions as to which NN I would require and which accessories to make taking pans and then regular stills a little more convenient.

My wish list:
    - ability to change out the pano/rotator so I can use my Manfrotto tripod for regular still shots easily without losing settings.
    - currently do 12 shots horizontally only in portrait mode. Would like to minimize this # of shots horizontally
    - would like to be able to do vertical shots as well
    - if I purchase a Canon D40 or possibly Canon 5D in future that the NN that I purchase will accept that camera as well
    - current pano/rotator has levels on it - do I need EZ-leveller as well?

My current equipment:
    Olympus E-410
    Zuiko 11-22mm Lens
    Manfrotto 808RC4 and Manfrotto Tripod 055XDB
    and FL-50 flash in the hotshoe

Suggestions and advice are more than welcome!
    PQ
  2. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Hi PanoQueen,
    Welcome to the forum.
    The best head for your current gear would be the Nodal Ninja 3 MKII w/Rotator R-D8.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/NN3_p/n3ii-rd8.htm
    Small and lightweight and has the 30 degree click stops you need.
    You could opt for the EZ-Leveler-II which would make leveling easier but you could also use a quality ball head if budget is a concern.
    We don't recommend using a flash attached to the camera as this adds a bit of torque to the upper assembly which may skew the level. Those using flashes (should be heavily diffused) should be mounted off camera to avoid shifting of shadows between shots. For indoor stuff most folks usually bracket their shots or use slower shutter speeds.
    If you want a head with a bit more strength and growing room for the future 5D then the NN5L PKG.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n5l-pkg.htm
    The 30 degree ring is optional but just ask during check out and we'll include one for free (shh).
    Hope this helps - if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.
    thx
    Bill

ps -
  3. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PanoQueen View Post
    Hi All,
    I do real estate photography and use a clunky pano head, and would like to purchase an NN due to the fact that it seems lighter and more compact - great for travel. The following is my wish list and then below that is my current equipment. I am open for suggestions as to which NN I would require and which accessories to make taking pans and then regular stills a little more convenient.

My wish list:
    - ability to change out the pano/rotator so I can use my Manfrotto tripod for regular still shots easily without losing settings.
    - currently do 12 shots horizontally only in portrait mode. Would like to minimize this # of shots horizontally
    - would like to be able to do vertical shots as well
    - if I purchase a Canon D40 or possibly Canon 5D in future that the NN that I purchase will accept that camera as well
    - current pano/rotator has levels on it - do I need EZ-leveller as well?

My current equipment:
    Olympus E-410
    Zuiko 11-22mm Lens
    Manfrotto 808RC4 and Manfrotto Tripod 055XDB
    and FL-50 flash in the hotshoe

Suggestions and advice are more than welcome!
    PQ

I am not sure if our QRC2 is compatible with 808RC4
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/qrc-2.htm
    Can you take a photo and measure the dimensions of the base of RC4? That part that is clamped.

you can buy another RC4
    http://www.adorama.com/BG394.html
    mount NN on the plate and then mount to the 808RC4.
    You can mount the RC4 to NN by using this rail plate if it has 3/8" thread.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/rp1-38.htm
    or this rail plate if it has 1/4" thread.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/rp1-14.htm

if you use NN5/L, you can use the standard camera mounting plate instead of the thinner rail plate.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Thanks both for the info. How much larger is the NN5 to the NN3 - is it just as compact. I watched both videos but I could not tell and i do not see any weight/dimensions.
  5. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

The NN3 weighs 1lb 1oz while the NN5 and NN5-L weighs approx 2lb 1oz.

The NN5 and NN5-L are larger to take larger camera/lens combinations and also support longer focal length lenses.
    The NN5 lower rail is 7.75inches while the vertical rail is 8inches tall.

I don't have the dimensions for the NN3 MkII but hopefully these measurements will help you.

Cheers,
    Rob

Today is worth two tomorrows.
  6. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Users Country Flag

Thanks both for the info. How much larger is the NN5 to the NN3 - is it just as compact. I watched both videos but I could not tell and i do not see any weight/dimensions.

NN5 is about 40mm longer than NN3 in each rail.

Nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Thanks all on the dimensions and weight. Just to verify the NN3 will work successfully with the Canon 40D?
  8. Re: Best NN and accessories for E-410/Manfrotto 808RC4

Users Country Flag

Thanks all on the dimensions and weight. Just to verify the NN3 will work successfully with the Canon 40D?
    yes, NN3 works for 40D. Get the thin rail plate if you want to use RC4.

Nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread