NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Sorry guys,

got an IM question and tried to answer, but i am not sure that it worked. I could not see that it was send. So try to do it this way: I just used Google translator to translate english to arabic. I hope it is nothing in there like "put the camera on the grill before you start shooting. The mail looks funny, but I hope for somebody who does not speak so much english it might help even with " the camera on the grill" . Thanks a lot for your understanding guys.

?? ?

?? ? ?? 57 ?? ? ?? . ?? ? batterygrip ?.

? ?? 57 ? ?? ?? ??. ?? ? 57 ?? ?. ?? ? ?? .

? ?? ? ?? ? ?? ?. 13 ?? ?NN5/Cp-2 ? ? ?? ?? batterygrip.

? ?? ?? ?17 - 40mm : ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?.

?? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ?? ?.

? ?? ??.

??
  2. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Please IM me the user name. We get hit many times a week with spammers and best I run his IP.
  3. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

4. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Hello again,

to get the lower rail setting with and without battery grip, you can just measure the height from the table to the small silver pin on the right hand site of the Nikon and Canon bodies. The rest might have something like this as well.

Mount the grip and measure this distance. Then add 13mm for NN5, 14mm for NN3 ( I will set the 14mm sharp this weekend). This is your lower rail setting.

Then TEST YOUR OWN SETTING TO PROOF IT !!

Cheers,

Heinz
  5. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Question NPP for Canon 17-40mm Canon 5D I

17 NPP 109.5

28 NPP 108.5

40 NPP 110.5

These measurements come from Wiki database http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database , added L1 + L2

Reading reviews about this lens, it is said that the NPP's sit close together and do not change much. So be aware when testing all the zoom settings.

And please report your own measurements to us.

Thx
    Heinz
  6. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Canon 5D II, 17-40mm

17 8 45° +30°
    +/- 90°
    8 45° -30°

This is what I found for spherical panorama and this camera lens combination.

Heinz
  7. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post

Mount the grip and measure this distance. Then add 13mm for NN5, 14mm for NN3 ( I will set the 14mm sharp this weekend). This is your lower rail setting.

Then TEST YOUR OWN SETTING TO PROOF IT !!

Cheers,

Heinz
    Apparently this is not correct. I just got a brand new NN5 with the new CP2 type and it is still 10mm.
    Unless Nick is skipping several versions ther is no difference from the old CP.

Hans
  8. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Hans,

this is your second comment about "this is not correct".

Reading another comment about this thread from you I think till now you did not understand of what I was talking about. I am not talking about thickness of camera plates. Cp - CP2. Nick is an experienced designer, knowing that if he would change the size of CP to CP-2, this would have changed the lower rail settings. So, this is still the same measurement. Thx Nick.

I try to explane my thoughts for you Hans.

I try to find out principles for lower rail settings to help newbies as well as experienced users: what about a new lens or camera body? What is changing? Nodal Ninja products from camera to camera? Not at all.

To find the lower rail setting you need (H) , you know the database, http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database, plus the "Offset" of the NN product from the (H) to the corner of the vertical rail which gives you the lower rail setting. When you have a look to your brand new product, you might realize setting upper and vertical rail on the same niveau, that there is an offset to the corner of the vertical rail to the touch point of the camera mounting plate >10mm+"measurement of the whaterver plate".

This is what I am talking about. I try to make things simple for newbies by looking for principal of the whole system. Set this in a database "how to find". Not talking about thickness of CP's. Be sure I tested this before writing a comment.

My personal conclusion, to find lower rail settings easily and test them with your own equipment, measure (H) of your camera and add the offset 13mm for NN5 and 14mm for NN3. I tested this with my brand new equipment NN3 and
    my "old NN5". I like it.

I will add a photo, I think everybody can read this.

Anybody who tries to tell me I am wrong, I feel free to accept a proof!

Hans, and all the rest of experienced followers on panophotographie, let us try not to get newbies weared with our comments.

Whenever we'll meet, a accept a champagne from you for excuse. I like your knowledge and comments on several forums. But I set a stop when I feel there is something wrong.

Cheers,

Heinz
  9. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Btw, a quick shot in my kitchen at home.

So now comments about the quality.

Nothing to do with the very well designed products of Fanotec and Nodal Ninja.

"Turning us around", "We listen", "Beyond Horizons", "We try harder", the next comment we should see: Fanotec!, Nodal Ninja!.

This will proof they feel to do their best, Nick, and Bill, and all the other employes. I hope they will place something like : "Cause we do more!" This is reality!

Regards Heinz
  10. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

BTW,

though I am a Nikonian, though I hate battery grips cause of offset in vertical horizontal cause of "plastic equipment" making the camera to move off of the vertical etc, offset in upper rail settings related to offset of the tripod mount Camera Battery Grip:

I asked canon support about the (H) of battery grips which have to be adde to the (H) of the body to find the lower rails setting, an incomplete answer but they answered!

Canon 450D, 1000D, EOS XSi, T1i the height of the additional (H) of the Body is 114,3mm, so 115mm,

Canon 5D MK II add 103,1, so try H 103.

This is my way to "try to keep it simple" . Because the main point is to go out to shoots on it's best.

Regards

Heinz

11. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Sorry Heinz but something is very wrong with your measurements for the NN5.
    In your first post you claim.

"In the wiki databse you will find 43,5mm for (H), which means from the bottom of the body to the middle of the lens flange/mount. For the NN5 just add 13mm to get thelower rail postion of the vertical rail."

This was before I got the new NN5 with the CP2 and it lead me to the incorrect conclussion that the CP2 was adding 13mm instead of 10mm as the old CP1.

So thats why I corrected it. Your images on the first post does not work and I had no idea what your measurements was on it.
    Do you really have a NN5.
    If so it must be a different version than the 2 I have.

This is how mine look.
    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nod...N5-A-scale.jpg
    As you can see the correct measurement for the 5D is 43,5mm + 10mm on my first version but the current production ads 1mm more so it is 43,5+11mm = 54,5mm

The NN3 has 5mm to ad so it will be 43,5+10+5 = 58,5mm if you use the Camera plate and 48,5mm without it.

If someone has a NN5 with different measurements please tell me.

Hans

12. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Hans,

the photo from yesterday is one of my new NN3 Mk II, which I baught to check meassurements. Just to demonstrate what I was talking about.

Now I send the picture of my NN5 w, which I baught in 12/2008 mounted with a new CP-2 and all I can read is 13mm. I checked all my lower rail settings and I end up for 13mm with my NN5.

So what we can say is, that everyone has to check his equipment concerning the offset, in our cases between 11 and 13mm, and may add this to ( H ) to get the lower rails setting.

Heinz
  13. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

ups, small...
  14. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Check your mounting Knob. The first delivered was to thick. If that is the one you use on that picture you will ad 2mm to the measure.

Hans
  15. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by hansnyberg
    Unless Nick is skipping several versions ther is no difference from the old CP.
    Hans
    This is correct - no difference in settings between CP-1 and CP-2 - both camera plates are the same thickness.
    Bill