NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Hello,

When I turn my camera to Nadir and center the camera's central focusing point to the NN5's center bolt, I come up with lower rail setting of 57mm (almost 58mm in fact).

Is that normal? It seems that everybody else is using 53mm.

I'm using the standard camera plate (NCP1).

Thanks.
  2. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikexm View Post
    Hello,

When I turn my camera to Nadir and center the camera's central focusing point to the NN5's center bolt, I come up with lower rail setting of 57mm (almost 58mm in fact).

Is that normal? It seems that everybody else is using 53mm.

I'm using the standard camera plate (NCP1).

Thanks.
    confirm your setting with more accurate method
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    confirm your setting with more accurate method
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
    Nick
    Okay, with the method above I was able to confirm that the 5Dm2 is really at 53mm like the 5D.

Using the same method, I was able to fine-tune the "skewed" lens settings. Easy enough to do

Also, if you want to add the Canon 17-40 @ Focal=20mm to the settings page, my result is 110mm.

Thanks!
  4. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Hi Mikexm,

I founfd the same settings than you with the 5DMkII and 17-40. I used the needle technique and found 57 mm. The result using Autopano pro are much better with 57 than with 53.

Seb
  5. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by sebla View Post
    Hi Mikexm,

I founfd the same settings than you with the 5DMkII and 17-40. I used the needle technique and found 57 mm. The result using Autopano pro are much better with 57 than with 53.

Seb
    I confirmed the result of 57MM with 5dMK2 is the best setting
  6. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

hi friends

i have the 5d ii with the lens 17-40 L and NN5

i want to ask about the grip for the 5d if i want to add it on the NN5

what is the lower rail setting ?

without grip 57 what about the grip?

thanks
  7. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Hello,

you might use this link to recheck your lower rail setting as well:

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

In the wiki databse you will find 43,5mm for (H), which means from the bottom of the body to the middle of the lens flange/mount. For the NN5 just add 13mm to get thelower rail postion of the vertical rail.

http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

Concerning the question of the grip, you have to add this thickness as well. But be careful. The MD200 grip from nikon has an offset in the direction of the camera lens axis of 6mm, which has a consequence for the upper rail setting as well. Besides the point, that you add more weight you get a higher torque on the system with in most cases a little instable battery grips, which are made of plastic.

I do not use a grip any more. I have spare loaded batteries with me, and as the number of shots per second is concerned, which often increases as a battery grip is used, I prefer to use a highspeed CF card as sandisk Pro with 90mb/sec or the normal one with 60mb/sec. This saves time as well during shooting.

Regards

Heinz
  8. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Ok Boys and Girls...
    what is it 53 or 57 for the canon 5d mark II?
    Jac
  9. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Jack, the lower rail setting for this camera is 53...which is wrong, or 57 which is right.

You might have a look to the manuals on this site, there you can learn a bit on how to use the equipment.

Cheers

Heinz
  10. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

SIMPLE WAY TO GET THE LOWER RAIL SETTING OF A CAMERA BODY:

Step 1: Place the camera on a table, take a ruler, and measure the distance up to the middle of the lens mount, which in case of Nikon Bodies is the middle of the small silver pin on the right hand side. (H). In this case of the
    D90 it measures 42mm when the ruler is attached right to the metal of the lens mount.

Step 2: Add to (H) the distance between CP/CP-2 to the corner of the vertical rail (see the arrow), is 13mm for the NN5 CP/CP-2: 42mm (H) + 13mm NN5 = lower rails setting of 55.

Hugh, some days ago helped me with the NN3 in a very quick response, the distance for the NN3 CP/CP-2 should be 14mm, but might be 13mm as well. Might be Nick could proof it.

CONCLUSION FOR A SIMPLE WAY TO GET YOUR LOWER RAIL SETTING:

MEASURE (H) , add 13mm for NN5 CP/CP-2
    add 14mm for NN3 CP/CP-2

By the way canon guys : (H) in Wiki's database for the 5D MKII is 43,5, and now: plus 13mm for the NN5 is 56,5. I think 57 should be ok.

But test these settings anyway for your own equipment, whatever way you like. I use the hacksaw method mentioned on easypano from Smooth. And yes, as i proofed before with photos, the setting for the D90 is 55.

Cheers

Heinz
  11. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

The photos,

Regards

Heinz
  12. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Sorry but your images does not work.
    Anyhow they can not be correct unless something has changed radically with the Cameraplate recently.

The CP only ads 10 mm so the 53,5 or 54 mm is correct.

However you can easy get an error because of a different issue,
    Your bottom plate on the Camera may not at all be in angle with the lens flange.

I discovered this when I got my 5D Mark II which suddenly needed 2mm more on the bottom plate.
    I have always used 52mm with my old 5D with perfect results.

After checking all my Canons I discovered that only the new Mark II was plain.
    My old 10D , 20D and 5D all had a bottomplate that needed correction with a ducktape like this.
    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/NPP...ottomplate.jpg

The longer lens you use the larger error you get.
    Easiest way to check this is to do this.
    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/NPP...vel-camera.jpg

Hans

13. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Ok after doing some searches I can see there is a new Camera-plate which I can see ads 13 mm.

So this will give you 57 instead of 54 with the old plate.

However it still does not change that you should check your bottomplate on the camera.

Hans

14. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Hello Hans,

Thx for your comments. I appreciate them cause I was reading a lot of you, I had to learn, that you are one of the people to be engaged in panorama photography since a long time. I have read your comments in several forums. About Npp, Nadir, your tutorials, etc. Your work on the panorama website. http://www.panoramas.dk http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8.

So everybody should know whom we are talking with. I know you are a canonian.

I personally know, I am not perfect too. If we are not working there will be no mistakes. But because I know that very experienced people are "watching", I try to proof before posting.

I think you understood my thoughts Hans: When we know (H) from the camera body, and we know the "offset" of the vertical rail, no matter what body we use, we should get the lower rail setting.

I always tell people, they have to check it with their own combination. But I feel people might be "quicker on the road to panorama" with hints like this.

And, because I know "Big Brothers are watching Me"...I try to avoid mistakes. But sometimes I do some of them. So before I placed this comments, I had already checked the lower rail setting of different nikon bodies: D3, D200, D90, D5000, D3000.

For example, and I placed my settings with photos of the D90 on this forum before: it is 55mm. So I just measured (H) from D90 42, plus offset 13mm, gives 55mm.

Let us ask Nick about the offset: NN5 and NN3....

Anyway, I felt scarred that some of my NPP measurements changed with CP-2 CP and "Hacksaw" lower rail setting test and upper rail settings in a few point for nikkor lenses. I will send these soon,but I like them being proofed by Bill and Nick before, though I know what I did. I know you have to test it with the camera on the plate, the photo was just taken to explain the offset of the vertical rail measurements to get the lower rail setting

But I think I may feel free to ask you for Canon questions, cause I think both of us follow the same goal. I do not like discussion like comments of Matt Rodgers /answers of Smooth and the rest going on on Panoguide. I think you know what I am talking about.

Once again,

Thanks a lot for our comment, this proofs being right or wrong to give the best information to the "guys", ups, and "the ladies"

With best regards,

Heinz

15. Re: NN5 lower rail setting for Canon 5D Mark II

Users Country Flag

Hans,

I think this is our lifetime and it is amazing "that people long ago knew what we are talking about".

http://www.lastfm.de/music/The+Beatl...an+Work+It+Out

Regards, and i love this forum,

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread