NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Lately I had to realized a huge panoramic photo (59000x10000 px). I had to use my 70-200 2.8 at 200 and had some difficulties to find this bloody nodal point. Eventually I ended up with a very strange setting : I had to turn the upper arm frontward and set my lens at 148. The nodal point was behind my camera.

With this kind of setting I see 2 issues :
    - There is no possibility to use a camera with grip since the plate is on the lens ;
    - All the weight is concentrated at the end of the upper arm and the NN is not stiff enought to cope with this.

Seb
  2. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sebla View Post
    Lately I had to realized a huge panoramic photo (59000x10000 px). I had to use my 70-200 2.8 at 200 and had some difficulties to find this bloody nodal point. Eventually I ended up with a very strange setting : I had to turn the upper arm frontward and set my lens at 148. The nodal point was behind my camera.

With this kind of setting I see 2 issues :
    - There is no possibility to use a camera with grip since the plate is on the lens ;
    - All the weight is concentrated at the end of the upper arm and the NN is not stiff enought to cope with this.

Seb
    if the scene is distant with no close foreground, you can forget about the NPP.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Thanks Nick.

I set my NN5 with 2 vertical sticks set at 10 and 20 m so I had a "foreground".

Seb
  4. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

Hi Seb,

Just saw your question, don't worry, cause you are right. I use a nikon D3 with 70-200/f2.8 G ED VR. I also had to move the upper rail forward, cause the NNP for 200mm is 5.5mm behind the sensor plane. Took my data from the swiss army lens data base, which gives measurements from the "film plane" to NNP. Difficult to measure on the D3 body. Cause of this i changed those data to the mounting flange of the lens, which is actually 46.5 mm in front of the sensor plane and i made myself a sort of ruler with the marks on it. Then i took a self levelling laser from Bosch, and moved the camera on the upper rail to match the marks. Took my Photos to proof the NNP, and by this way i found the upper rail settings. I will send all the data to bill soon.

When you fix the lens instead of the camera to the upper rail and fix it with the fixation, i found no trouble at all with the weight of the lens camera combination.

I tried to attach photos, but the file was too big.

I will try again one by one,

Enjoy your excellent nodal ninja, i suppose the state of art at this moment.

Heinz

5. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

Hi Seb, another try
  6. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

hi Seb, the other One
  7. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

Sorry that i forgot Seb,

you may find the mark of the sensor plane as a little cross on top of the basis of the white L.

Think this might help some more people to find the NNP themselves.

Sucess

Heinz

8. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

By the way folks,

when you look to DSC1131.JPG and you are afraid because of weight, this heavy load nearly at the end of the upper rail: nothing moves, because of the new fixation of the upper rail. Bill, you are allowed to use this photo to proof that you tell the truth about your product.

Good Luck

Heinz

9. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Hi Heinz,

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer.

seb
  10. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    By the way folks,
    when you look to DSC1131.JPG and you are afraid because of weight, this heavy load nearly at the end of the upper rail: nothing moves, because of the new fixation of the upper rail. Bill, you are allowed to use this photo to proof that you tell the truth about your product.
    Good Luck
    Heinz
    Hi Heinz, Thanks for that!
    While the positive locking system does allow the user to pack on heavier weight up to 12kgs (22lbs) - this is MAX weight load that few would ever use. Like buying a truck that claims it will carry up to one ton of weight - doing so stresses the suspension and drive train more quickly in time. So the "recommended" weight loads will always be approx 50% less than the max weight to assure the longest life possible from our products. Even at half the max weight this will still allow use of most big DSLR's and longer lenses.
    I'll work on adding this in the product descriptions.
    thx
    Bill
  11. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Nick's point is well taken. While it is just possible to use the 70-200 2.8 it puts real strain on the equipment (and the photographer.) I've opted to go for the prime Canon 135mm L and, if needed the 1.4x tele extender giving me 189mm. This combination is far easier to handle and the quality is superb.
  12. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Sorry, Bill. I meant "Bill's point is well taken!"
  13. Re: NN5 and Canon 70-200 2.8

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hi Heinz, Thanks for that!
    While the positive locking system does allow the user to pack on heavier weight up to 12kgs (22lbs) - this is MAX weight load that few would ever use. Like buying a truck that claims it will carry up to one ton of weight - doing so stresses the suspension and drive train more quickly in time. So the "recommended" weight loads will always be approx 50% less than the max weight to assure the longest life possible from our products. Even at half the max weight this will still allow use of most big DSLR's and longer lenses.
    I'll work on adding this in the product descriptions.
    thx
    Bill
    From Manfrotto catalog,
    "All stated maximum load capacity are measured centred on the tripod/head mounting point."

It is complicated to rate the max loading of a pano head. Camera/lens has to be mounted at the NPP position which varies with lens design and focal length used.
    I test the loading with a weight hang to the middle of the upper rail. This may be different from real camera and lens. From customer feedbacks, NN5/5L support most SLR lens practical for panos without problems.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread