Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Share/Bookmark
  1. Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Hi, all I just received my new RD16 and EZ-Leveler, to match with my NN5.

I must say that I'm impressed. About EZ-Leveler-II, If you saw "Cast Away", the movie, the main character , played by T. Hanks, how hard he tried to make fire on the island, then long after, at home, how he looks in his hand and lighs the pocket lighter, making the fire in a split.
    The same was me, enjoing alot how I can now fine move the bubble on the spirit level by rotating the knobs of EZ-Leveler-II remembering the leveling on my first cheap tripod which had strong legs but soft plastic head

About RD16, the newest, from a post while back adding a second detent plunger was considerred, back then, by Nick, that it might make the rotator cumbersome to use, I must say that once I have it in my hand I realize that is the opposite, I stronger suggest to NN team to make available as extra for the rotators as many detent plunger as one wants, is very handy to have them in positions, in the apropriate holes to be (de)activate like knobs by two turns, even if them cannot be made in colors, one can stick some coloured tape on the detent plunger, and so "programing" the rotator at home and on the fileld turn the red for 60¬? stops then unturn the red and turn the blue for 90¬? stop or the green one for 36¬? stops, again, very very handy. I'll buy few if the detent plungers are available as extra

both products looks awesome, strong, and professional made.

thank you,
    Dorin

2. Re: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DorinDXN View Post
    About RD16, the newest, from a post while back adding a second detent plunger was considerred, back then, by Nick, that it might make the rotator cumbersome to use, I must say that once I have it in my hand I realize that is the opposite, I stronger suggest to NN team to make available as extra for the rotators as many detent plunger as one wants, is very handy to have them in positions, in the apropriate holes to be (de)activate like knobs by two turns, even if them cannot be made in colors, one can stick some coloured tape on the detent plunger, and so "programing" the rotator at home and on the fileld turn the red for 60¬? stops then unturn the red and turn the blue for 90¬? stop or the green one for 36¬? stops, again, very very handy. I'll buy few if the detent plungers are available as extra
    Hi Dorin,

Thanks for suggestion for the dual detent design. Although you are not the first to make this suggestion, you make me feel there is enough reason and demand for it. The R-D16 is a good compromise between ease of use and versatility. It has all the original R-D12 options by using one plunger. Dual plunger is only needed for finer intervals. So the only disadvantage is 4 extra hole on the cylinder and a detent plunger hanging around. :-)

Extra colored plungers as optional item is a good suggestion. I will like to hear more customers requesting for them. :-)

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Hi Nick
    Only whish to add that from a user ponit of view I really see the RD16 having no disadvantage at all and am sure you know better from the designer point of view what is suittable for production and waht is not.

What si good about clever and professional designed products is not only what they are designed to do but also what the product actually can do and. About NNs, and from my experience in direct use of some of those the area of where they can perform well is much larger that even the designer and a feature requester ask.
    This is a natural outcome as people speking diferent languages are able to ask only a part of their needs but they have more needs and is a pleasent surprise to "discover" what extra feature even not documented is in a NN product.
    For example the photographers may use the rotators and also NN3/5 in studio for repetable and very fast lights reorientation, yes, they might mount slave flashes on NNs

About the second detent plunger of RD16 if anyone is interested, the profile of user of Rotators are especially a profesional who need more than one set of stops and/or the people who are not confortable to unmoun/mount rings to have grease on fingers grease which can end on lenses so on.. i.e. if rings need to be changed, better is to do that in a safe environment, say at home or in car, so on.

For example for Sigma 8mm on 350D I need of 6 stops or 4 stops , deppending on "action", so one detent plunger is in 60¬? hole the second one is in 90¬? them can be activate/deactivate with two turns, the deactivated one is about 1/4 cm out, one can feal that.

I dont think that you expected to hear that from an 1 day experienced user of RD16 but I can change the stops without even looking at the rotator
    in way less than half of the time needed if I use only one detent plunger and no need to find the appropriate hole on the field.
    Again, no disadvantages only benefits
    The coloured extra detent plungers will further help on that.

thanks,

Dorin

4. More plungers

More plungers is a great idea! Color coded, even better. Sign me up.
  5. Re: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Hi Nick, now because I have the awesome R-D16, I do have ideas for extras

Besides the useful extra detent plungers, It will be nice to have some little extra hole covers, plastic o rubber, coin driven,
    it heps on the stylish look and aslo prevents some abbrasive particles, dust, sand, so on, to enter and prevents the grease to go out on hot temperatures or dry out.

thanks,
    Dorin
  6. Re: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Users Country Flag

I can't see spare plungers listed in the price list... but it seems reasonable they would be available as spares for lost ones.
    I would be very easy to spray them yourself to any colour you chose.
  7. Re: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    I can't see spare plungers listed in the price list... but it seems reasonable they would be available as spares for lost ones.
    I would be very easy to spray them yourself to any colour you chose.
    The rotators are new. We don't see many are losing the detent plunger or pan lock knobs. We will list them soon.
    Te knobs are anodized and are much more durable than paint.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  8. Re: Just a big thank you and a small tip :001_smile:

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The rotators are new. We don't see many are losing the detent plunger or pan lock knobs. We will list them soon.
    Te knobs are anodized and are much more durable than paint.

Nick
    Would it not be rather costly to anodise small quantities in other colours. People could always enamel spray or even dip the standard ones as they please, to save cost.
  9. Detent Plunger Knobs available in 7 anodized colors

I am guilty of procrastination in getting these listed.
    The anodized detent plunger knobs for the advanced rotators are now available for purchase.

Only $15ea or $75.00 for the entire set.
    http://store.nodalninja.com/category_s/33.htm
    Cheers
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread